ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, not sure I can think of a wrestler who seems like less of a Penn State fit personality-wise. Not surprising he didn't feel like he fit in the first go round. If both sides feel like they can make it work for a semester for his vision quest, then go for it. Can't imagine he and Gilman are going to get along.
Happen to agree with this but we aren’t there to know how he fit in personally wise with the coaches and athletes at PSU. Nick seems most like a Hawkeye or Brands Brothers type of wrestler to me. And don’t ask me to expound on that cuz I really don’t want to argue for pages over this with you. Lol

I never took Suriano leaving personally. Anytime a freshman transfers out to get closer to home, I get it. It's a big transition moving away from home to participate in Division I sports, then add in the pressure of being a top recruit and the disappointment of missing NCAAs due to injury and I can't fault Nick for wanting to get closer to his support system. In the end, is there really much difference between Suriano and the Teske transfer? I for one would welcome him back if he decides to return to Penn State.
^^^^ This^^^

It’s something fans rarely think about but you’re absolutely correct. I’ll be honest, I was 21/22 when I moved south the first time away from friends and family and it was quite an adjustment for me. For some it’s tough, others not so much.

Happen to agree with this but we aren’t there to know how he fit in personally wise with the coaches and athletes at PSU. Nick seems most like a Hawkeye or Brands Brothers type of wrestler to me. And don’t ask me to expound on that cuz I really don’t want to argue for pages over this with you. Lol
giphy.gif

I don't take offense to that and don't want to start an argument, but one of my thoughts was "wow, this kid seems too intense even for the Iowa stereotype."

Iowa doesn't have that same public persona anymore, but I'm not sure Suriano would even fit in during the Metcalf era. Those guys were intense in interviews and stuff, but were well known for being super laid back and jokesters off the mat (Metcalf was a skater for example).

I don't know if Suriano has an off switch. I found it a little unnerving and could barely get through the whole thing. He is certainly an interesting cat.

I never took Suriano leaving personally. Anytime a freshman transfers out to get closer to home, I get it. It's a big transition moving away from home to participate in Division I sports, then add in the pressure of being a top recruit and the disappointment of missing NCAAs due to injury and I can't fault Nick for wanting to get closer to his support system. In the end, is there really much difference between Suriano and the Teske transfer? I for one would welcome him back if he decides to return to Penn State.
100% this. I remember my first couple weeks being a little awkward while forming a new social scene. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be when you're in a high time commitment sport when you don't feel like you fit in well with the other guys on the team. I imagine he had a hard time forming a new social group if that was the case.

Now that he's a few years older, more established, and more mature, maybe it's not that big of an issue. He's done a ton of traveling the last two years anyway. Maybe he just views the second semester as a 3 month training camp. I definitely struggle to see that as a long term fit with Gilman seemingly bought in to another cycle.

I don't take offense to that and don't want to start an argument, but one of my thoughts was "wow, this kid seems too intense even for the Iowa stereotype."

Iowa doesn't have that same public persona anymore, but I'm not sure Suriano would even fit in during the Metcalf era. Those guys were intense in interviews and stuff, but were well known for being super laid back and jokesters off the mat (Metcalf was a skater for example).

I don't know if Suriano has an off switch. I found it a little unnerving and could barely get through the whole thing. He is certainly an interesting cat.
I’m with you. Just seemed a bit creepy to me. Especially the “predator” quotes. He should have said it once and left it at that. Lol. I don’t know, maybe he’s building his m.o. and it all will somehow fit into making money through his NIL. As for a return to PSU, I ain’t questioning any decision Cael makes. He’s the one winning championships not me.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
I’m with you. Just seemed a bit creepy to me. Especially the “predator” quotes. He should have said it once and left it at that. Lol. I don’t know, maybe he’s building his m.o. and it all will somehow fit into making money through his NIL. As for a return to PSU, I ain’t questioning any decision Cael makes. He’s the one winning championships not me.

Is this the sign of the Apocalypse? JS and JTS agreeing!

Last edited:
On Twitter today, the ever provocative Mineo estimates it at 75% chance that Suriano returns to Happy Valley in the second semester. For whatever that’s worth.

Reactions: danoftw
25 pages of portal chatter.

Suriano: TL/DR =

If he wins WTTs @ 61kg, he's probably finished w college wrestling?

If he does not win WTTs, strong chance PSU is in the mix - Spencer Lee & NIL being large factors.

Is this the jist of it?

Nick doesn't strike me as a kid who has contingency plans for winning or not winning something. I bet there's no doubt in his mind he will be the World Champion at 61KG. I think whether he wrestles in college or not is independent of that.

Last edited:
Nick doesn't strike me as a kid who has contingency plans for winning or not winning something. I bet there's no doubt in his mind he will be the World Champion at 61KG. I think whether he wrestles in college or not is independent of that.
yeah I dont think his dad thinks like that.

I also think his dad will reevaluate after this weekends performance

His dad seems to be a planner, forecaster, estimator

maybe his dad will play a part in this.

some rumblings on the net that his dad thinks a lot about his future each day/hr/minute/sec/nanosenseoftime

if he loses to NaTo ....O.....M.....G....

yeah I dont think his dad thinks like that.

I also think his dad will reevaluate after this weekends performance

His dad seems to be a planner, forecaster, estimator

maybe his dad will play a part in this.

some rumblings on the net that his dad thinks a lot about his future each day/hr/minute/sec/nanosenseoftime

if he loses to NaTo ....O.....M.....G....
If he loses to NaTo, the Soon video won’t age too well 🤨

Reliable (at least I think so) source tells me Nick will not be going to PSU. If he wrestles in college, it will be at ASU.
After losing to Nato and if your source is correct Nails, should just call Downey and see ow the only fans thing works....

Isn’t that some kind of NCAA violation? Mom & Dad’s certainly not happy.
I didn’t think a Finesilver would accept a bag of cash like Suriano did from that school up there #everyoneisforsale

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT