ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intermat is in alignment with my thoughts that if the over/under for Iowa Champs was set at 1.5, the under would be the smart bet.

My eyes will be on the 4 seniors of Kem, Bull, Eiermen and Spencer the most. I think at least 2 of the 4 finishes lower than their ranking here and kinda leaning to 3 of the 4. I can see Warner slipping a bit from number 3. Cass I think is spot on. Same with Kaleb. Murin I actually see higher than 10 and possibly an AA finish. I see baby Brands higher as well but not AA just yet. ADS… well…depends what version we get at nationals. The medicated or unmedicated Austin. If we see the one we got this past season at nationals I could possibly see a finalist.

Ok. After this post I’ll put myself on a 3 day ban for the ADS comment cuz that was a shitty, albeit joking move on my part but just couldn’t help myself. Ok, half joking move. Anyway…

As for PSU. I’ll go 3 champs. I think the chances are one of them slips. Kerk I see a touch higher and possibly he and Cass in consi finals. Dean I’d say spot on, maybe even 3rd but if Beard gets a tank to him where wearing down is never an issue in the 3rd then I can see him beating out Dean and finishing around 4th as well. Yes, I know Beard did show some improvement towards the end of last season. Really wish we had a 157 or 165 on the roster that could contend for an AA so Facundo could redshirt. Maybe there’s a second semester transfer out there and they wait and see on pulling shirt. If he does go, I think he just misses AA. Joe I think sneaks in and does AA at 157. I also think both Bartlett and SVN at least AAs and maybe even surprises us by reaching consi finals match. Now the big one, Steen I think will qualify but only gets a win maybe 2 at Nats. If it’s Suriano which I highly doubt, I think he knocks off Spencer Lee in the finals giving Iowa exactly ZERO individual champs.

Ok, see you guys Sunday night. :)
Joe WILL be an AA!! Absolutely zero doubt in my mind.

The problem is that jts and js both have to have the last word. @johnstownsteel and @js8793 can you two please call a truce?
ya-por-favor-detente.gif
Let's all agree to agree that Iowa sucks end of story lol

They aren't ranking true freshman right now (and I'm guessing they're counting Bartlett as that because he technically is one as he has a RS)
That's not it -- OKST's 125 Mastrogiovanni is ranked 20th. Last year was his first year on campus.

At first glance, it looks like NCAA qualifiers plus notable Ivies who didn't get to compete last year (such as 2019 R12 Artalona).

Also, frankly, Bartlett's 2021 didn't merit a 2022 preseason ranking. DNQ for nationals. Went 4-3 at 149 with only 1 win over a .500 wrestler (Cole Mattin). Went 0-3 vs. NCAA qualifiers. (He also did not face any .500 wrestlers at 141, not that it should matter for 149 rankings.)

Won't matter very long. If he beats Artalona on 12/3, the ranking will take care of itself.

That's not it -- OKST's 125 Mastrogiovanni is ranked 20th. Last year was his first year on campus.

At first glance, it looks like NCAA qualifiers plus notable Ivies who didn't get to compete last year (such as 2019 R12 Artalona).

Also, frankly, Bartlett's 2021 didn't merit a 2022 preseason ranking. DNQ for nationals. Went 4-3 at 149 with only 1 win over a .500 wrestler (Cole Mattin). Went 0-3 vs. NCAA qualifiers. (He also did not face any .500 wrestlers at 141, not that it should matter for 149 rankings.)

Won't matter very long. If he beats Artalona on 12/3, the ranking will take care of itself.
I haven't followed this very closely, but is the general sense that it will be Bartlett at 149 this year over SVN?

FWIW - I just watched the short teaser video about Suriano that Flo created, and he is looking over a Western landscape in the outdoor shots. I want to say that it's Phoenix but there is too much green. Of course it might just be Flo trying to keep everyone guessing. We'll see soon enough.

I haven't followed this very closely, but is the general sense that it will be Bartlett at 149 this year over SVN?

Bartlett's year last year was the perfect storm to under perform. Not at all an indication of his capability. He is going to take out everyone in his path early on. High AA if not better.

SVN will only go if he come's in and takes out Beau. I don't see that happening.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I guess close losses don't count for much with Intermat. That's fine but for me, a true Freshman losing by 2 to the #2 wrestler and SV to the #3 wrestler earns him a little more respect.

The 1st thing I see when I look at Intermat's rankings is that PSU has a lot of upside. Zero points from 125+149+157+165 is not going to happen.

I guess close losses don't count for much with Intermat. That's fine but for me, a true Freshman losing by 2 to the #2 wrestler and SV to the #3 wrestler earns him a little more respect.

The 1st thing I see when I look at Intermat's rankings is that PSU has a lot of upside. Zero points from 125+149+157+165 is not going to happen.
Sammy Sasso is incredibly difficult to take down. Beau’s TD against him was perhaps the cleanest of the year against Sasso (I think there were only 2 or 3 total). This year Beau will have a full season to prepare for 49. I think he’s a solid AA.

Close losses are still losses.

Also, Thomas is ranked 4th because he placed 3rd at nationals. Fine, but giving Bartlett credit for this ignores that Thomas was the 25 seed at nationals, who finished 8th at B10s. That loss was no accomplishment.

(As an aside: holy crap what a draw Thomas got -- Moses parted that bracket for him.)

But whatever, Bartlett has plenty of opportunity this year to prove where he belongs in the pecking order.

And the point about PSU's upside is absolutely correct.

EDIT: I looked up the 33 ranked wrestlers at 149. All 33 are returning NCAA qualifiers. Bartlett is not a returning NCAA qualifier. End of story.

Maybe some people think Bartlett should be ranked ahead of Verk after winning the job last year. So be it -- but Verk is ranked 31st. Anyone upset that Bartlett isn't preseason ranked 31st needs a hobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
FWIW - I just watched the short teaser video about Suriano that Flo created, and he is looking over a Western landscape in the outdoor shots. I want to say that it's Phoenix but there is too much green. Of course it might just be Flo trying to keep everyone guessing. We'll see soon enough.
That is Scottsdale. Lots of green in Scottsdale. You just have to pay a lot to get it!

That is Scottsdale. Lots of green in Scottsdale. You just have to pay a lot to get it!
It's also a bit of an illusion -- most of the green is a few trees just below the rock line.

There is a mountain hike in Tempe, on campus near Sun Devil Stadium, that is directly across the river from a golf course. Maybe that's where he was?

Last edited:
Maybe some people think Bartlett should be ranked ahead of Verk after winning the job last year. So be it -- but Verk is ranked 31st. Anyone upset that Bartlett isn't preseason ranked 31st needs a hobby.

To bad Front Range isn't on the boards any more because this would be a candidate for the Portland Cement Crack of the Week. :)

If he does come back to THE GOOD GUYS.. It would be terrible to put the Iowa fan base through that.

Would you guys want Suriano to transfer to PSU if he could not get back down to 125?
That could be still be a really good lineup if RBY and Lee could successfully go up a weight (and both SVN/Bartlett can shirt). That being said, it's kind of late to bulk up for that.

That being said, it's obvious if Nick comes back to college, it's to stop Spencer from winning #4 and make some money along the way. If he can't make 125, I don't think he's wrestling anywhere next year.

That could be still be a really good lineup if RBY and Lee could successfully go up a weight (and both SVN/Bartlett can shirt). That being said, it's kind of late to bulk up for that.

That being said, it's obvious if Nick comes back to college, it's to stop Spencer from winning #4 and make some money along the way. If he can't make 125, I don't think he's wrestling anywhere next year.
Trigger warning @Hoosier Lion

Here's a question no one has asked. Was Suriano taking classes last school year while he was at ASU? If not, he may not even be eligible. Plus, if we couldn't get Evan Wick in how do we get NS in when he has been at 3 different colleges already?

Reactions: creamery freak
Here's a question no one has asked. Was Suriano taking classes last school year while he was at ASU? If not, he may not even be eligible. Plus, if we couldn't get Evan Wick in how do we get NS in when he has been at 3 different colleges already?
I thought someone said Nick graduated from Rutgers, and he did take an Olympics Redshirt last year anyway.

Nick took online classes while in Arizona to graduate from Rutgers. That makes transferring way easier, he just needs to get into some kind of graduate program here.

Wick on the other hand was through 4 years of college without a degree and probably needed almost 100 credits to transfer in and we wouldn't accept a good bit of them. Still a messed up situation considering he was coming from another Big Ten school (Wisconsin) and Cal Poly accepted his credits but not Penn State but water under the bridge at this point (hopefully Cael is less mad now)

He did graduate. He would be a grad transfer starting classes in January and fully eligible. probably wrestling unattached at Midlands or Southern Scuffle. Expect we wont Know until after Worlds Team Trails.
Thanks. Yeah, if he already graduated he would be good to go. Interesting situation as I never would have thought NS would be back at PSU.

Wick on the other hand was through 4 years of college without a degree and probably needed almost 100 credits to transfer in and we wouldn't accept a good bit of them. Still a messed up situation considering he was coming from another Big Ten school (Wisconsin) and Cal Poly accepted his credits but not Penn State but water under the bridge at this point (hopefully Cael is less mad now)

It’s not about transferring from one school to another. It’s about transferring from one academic/major program to another. You can have ten different schools, each offering degrees in economics, basketweaving, whatever, and could very well have ten different course requirements for that degree. Chances are that if a student spent four years at Penn State or CalPoly and wanted to transfer to Wisconsin, they too would have issues transferring all of their credits.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT