ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think it is a bit unfair to compare Gilman's experiences at Iowa when he was there to Spencer's or Kem's or Cassiopi's now. Brands did say after they finished 4th that they needed to change things...to train to score more points and score bonus points. He admitted that wrestling was changing and they needed to change to keep up with PSU, tOSU and others. With the arrival of Spencer and company I believe they have done that. They certainly look like they are having more fun together. That doesn't mean I want them to win.......just being objective :)

I do think it is a bit unfair to compare Gilman's experiences at Iowa when he was there to Spencer's or Kem's or Cassiopi's now. Brands did say after they finished 4th that they needed to change things...to train to score more points and score bonus points. He admitted that wrestling was changing and they needed to change to keep up with PSU, tOSU and others. With the arrival of Spencer and company I believe they have done that. They certainly look like they are having more fun together. That doesn't mean I want them to win.......just being objective :)
The HR manta used to be, wait until Taylor and Ruth leave. Taylor and Ruth graduated and PSU kept on winning individual and team championships.
Iowa doesn't win multiple individual championships, just Spencer and only one team championship. However, it will be interesting to watch as Iowa continues on their time continuum without Spencer setting the competitive tone.

How brave of Suriano and Fix to consider going after Spencer now that he has no ACL's lol. Where was this energy when he was healthy?

I'll believe Fix can make 125 for a season when I see it (without his special water bottles). In a just world, he never wins a title and I might need RBY to do his part on that one.

I can't help but like Suriano though.
Sounds like an excuse you are making for SL & you know how he feels about that :(

The HR manta used to be, wait until Taylor and Ruth leave. Taylor and Ruth graduated and PSU kept on winning individual and team championships.
Iowa doesn't win multiple individual championships, just Spencer and only one team championship. However, it will be interesting to watch as Iowa continues on their time continuum without Spencer setting the competitive tone.
A lot went right for Iowa besides Spencer. For example, Kemerer should have been gone in 2020 (with Hall/Cenzo). The ACL injury actually ended up working well for since he's still around for 2022 (it's obviously never a good thing a kid is hurt, especially a great kid like Kem). Eierman gets 2 NCAAs with them.

That being said, Iowa did a fantastic job developing a ton of kids. Cassioppi is a great example of that, he wasn't heralded as some chosen one type recruit. Pat Lugo definitely improved a ton around tgem, to dismiss that would be really unfair as well. If it wasn't Kemerer/Eierman, it would be someone else so we can't just take those points away and call it a wash.

They're always going to recruit well and their new facilities will certainly help. Sebolt Wrestling Academy is a fantastic youth program that is really bringing up Iowa wrestling as well. That being said, we have who we need for the next few years and PA (particularly what DT is doing with M2) is looking stronger than ever in talent. All aboard the train because this is FUN. I've said before but ironically, this might have been the best recruiting pitch year for PSU despite not finish first. Kids watched as 4 kids won a title in the weirdest year ever (no matter what, our staff has a plan) including 3 that weren't projected to (2 avenged losses), they watched as our club (including 2 former rivals) collected 4/6 medals in the Olympics (do not forget about Bekzod!) including the prodigal son getting gold. Wrestling is an individual sport end of the day and this year I think we made the strongest statement yet that the goals the elite recruits have, they know where it's best to accomplish them.

Last edited:
Agree and probably shouldn't have taken the time to respond. I just find his personal style of fandom a bit distasteful. Anytime you're rooting for opponents to burnout or taking a little too much glee in the injuries of an opponent, I think it crosses a line and gets under my skin. You should want to beat an opponent at full strength. My ideal team race comes down to head to head match ups in the NCAA finals with both teams having great tournaments.

Also, somewhat operating off the assumption that he posts on HR under his alt MorleyDawg (or something like that). If I'm wrong I apologize, but he's spent the last few days very openly hoping and arguing that Abe Assad has lost his love of the sport and quit, which is something no wrestling fan should ever be cheering for.
I don't agree with that kind of fandom but I also say I doubt anybody on this message board is like how they are here in real life.

That being said, Iowa did a fantastic job developing a ton of kids. Cassioppi is a great example of that, he wasn't heralded as some chosen one type recruit.
Cass wasn't a Lee or Steveson level recruit. But he won JR Pan Am while in HS, so he was definitely recruited as a potential national champion, as opposed to an AA type.

And he has developed at Iowa. Both.

Reactions: jrod65
Id lean PSU.

Let me edit this. I personally dont think he ever wrestles another college match again. However if he does I like where PSU sits.
giphy.gif

Great, that’s 2.5” of the f’in binder right there.

I will add though, jts, that your assertion that Gilman’s quotes make you correct is a bit like the insurance commercials that say how much switchers save: it’s naturally biased. It’s just the extent that’s in question.
Or roughly 83%

Reactions: PSU Mike
Cass wasn't a Lee or Steveson level recruit. But he won JR Pan Am while in HS, so he was definitely recruited as a potential national champion, as opposed to an AA type.

And he has developed at Iowa. Both.
Yes and no. He was definitely a guy we were excited about, but was a relatively late bloomer who hadn't run into a lot of top competition, but more importantly was caught in a once in a generation heavyweight class. Steveson, Schultz, and Kerk were the higher regarded guys. Parris was the guy who was raw, but had a higher ceiling. He was almost discussed separate to the other guys if that makes sense. Most hawkeye fans saw Cass as a guy who might have a shot his senior year if Gable didn't redshirt and was gone.

If you'll recall the big debate about that group was Cass or Nevills. Nevills was about as expected. Cass exceeded expectations.

Also, age level Pan Ams aren't really competitive. The cubans rarely if ever send guys. Jeremiah Moody also won Jr. Pan Ams and he never came close to making the lineup.

Yes and no. He was definitely a guy we were excited about, but was a relatively late bloomer who hadn't run into a lot of top competition, but more importantly was caught in a once in a generation heavyweight class. Steveson, Schultz, and Kerk were the higher regarded guys. Parris was the guy who was raw, but had a higher ceiling. He was almost discussed separate to the other guys if that makes sense. Most hawkeye fans saw Cass as a guy who might have a shot his senior year if Gable didn't redshirt and was gone.

If you'll recall the big debate about that group was Cass or Nevills. Nevills was about as expected. Cass exceeded expectations.

Also, age level Pan Ams aren't really competitive. The cubans rarely if ever send guys. Jeremiah Moody also won Jr. Pan Ams and he never came close to making the lineup.
Wow - Brands really botched his development ;)

I don't agree with that kind of fandom but I also say I doubt anybody on this message board is like how they are here in real life.
You should go over and read the thread yourself instead of believing everything you're told.

No one was rooting for any ill will on the kid or openly rooting for him to fail. That was a lie.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
You should go over and read the thread yourself instead of believing everything you're told.

No one was rooting for any ill will on the kid or openly rooting for him to fail. That was a lie.
I try to stay off that board, even lurking (though I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it at times). The reputation of that board is pretty well known among all wrestling world and it's not good. Of course Iowa fans will blame Willie for that but I see plenty of Iowa fans on twitter even saying they dislike the board and it's an unfair representation of them. That being said, I know there are great posters on that board as well but the bad ones are loud.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I try to stay off that board, even lurking (though I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it at times). The reputation of that board is pretty well known among all wrestling world and it's not good. Of course Iowa fans will blame Willie for that but I see plenty of Iowa fans on twitter even saying they dislike the board and it's an unfair representation of them. That being said, I know there are great posters on that board as well but the bad ones are loud.
Btw, you should ask JS why in the hell anyone over there would look it as a bad thing if a kid did lose his passion for a sport and found he loved to do other things with his time? I mean, I could understand if their program and fanbase eats, sleeps and breathes wrestling and are still stuck in the 20th century where a kid is considered a quitter if he decided he didnt want to play anymore but come on...He told me that's not the case over there in Hawkeyeland. So, how about showing a little growth over there then?

I read HR and saw the thread. Morley’s posts don’t even rank in the top 5,000 of offensive,wrong,
complete BS, fake insider, whatever posts I’ve seen there. But, to jump in uninvited is just rude. Glad a hawk fan let us know he did that. Maybe Morley didn’t know about the new Rivals feature. There will be a little Herky blinking in the upper left corner, click on it and it will say so & so HR guy invited you to post on how much your team cheats,takes roids,poaches,etc. Then you can post in that thread until one of them tells you to GTFO. Got an invite from pewterbirdgripper to post in the Spencer walks a cow thread, but the footage is so amazing I was speechless/postless

New Intermat Rankings (since this thread seems to be where team races are being discussed)
Iowa - 120
PSU - 103

Iowa
Spencer 1
ADS 4
Eierman 2
Murin 10
Young 6
Marinelli 2
Kemerer 2
Brands 15
Warner 3
Cassioppi 3

PSU
Steen NR
RBY 1
N Lee 1
SVN/Bartlett NR
J Lee 26
Facundo NR
Starocci 1
Brooks 1
Dean 4
Kerkvliet 5

They aren't ranking true freshman right now (and I'm guessing they're counting Bartlett as that because he technically is one as he has a RS)

Reactions: diggerpup
New Intermat Rankings (since this thread seems to be where team races are being discussed)
Iowa - 120
PSU - 103

Iowa
Spencer 1
ADS 4
Eierman 2
Murin 10
Young 6
Marinelli 2
Kemerer 2
Brands 15
Warner 3
Cassioppi 3

PSU
Steen NR
RBY 1
N Lee 1
SVN/Bartlett NR
J Lee 26
Facundo NR
Starocci 1
Brooks 1
Dean 4
Kerkvliet 5

They aren't ranking true freshman right now (and I'm guessing they're counting Bartlett as that because he technically is one as he has a RS)
Thats a helluvalot closer than last year pre-season numbers.

Iowa - 120
PSU - 103

Iowa
Spencer 1
ADS 4
Eierman 2
Murin 10
Young 6
Marinelli 2
Kemerer 2
Brands 15
Warner 3
Cassioppi 3

PSU
Steen NR
RBY 1
N Lee 1
SVN/Bartlett NR
J Lee 26
Facundo NR
Starocci 1
Brooks 1
Dean 4
Kerkvliet 5

Intermat is in alignment with my thoughts that if the over/under for Iowa Champs was set at 1.5, the under would be the smart bet.

My eyes will be on the 4 seniors of Kem, Bull, Eiermen and Spencer the most. I think at least 2 of the 4 finishes lower than their ranking here and kinda leaning to 3 of the 4. I can see Warner slipping a bit from number 3. Cass I think is spot on. Same with Kaleb. Murin I actually see higher than 10 and possibly an AA finish. I see baby Brands higher as well but not AA just yet. ADS… well…depends what version we get at nationals. The medicated or unmedicated Austin. If we see the one we got this past season at nationals I could possibly see a finalist.

Ok. After this post I’ll put myself on a 3 day ban for the ADS comment cuz that was a shitty, albeit joking move on my part but just couldn’t help myself. Ok, half joking move. Anyway…

As for PSU. I’ll go 3 champs. I think the chances are one of them slips. Kerk I see a touch higher and possibly he and Cass in consi finals. Dean I’d say spot on, maybe even 3rd but if Beard gets a tank to him where wearing down is never an issue in the 3rd then I can see him beating out Dean and finishing around 4th as well. Yes, I know Beard did show some improvement towards the end of last season. Really wish we had a 157 or 165 on the roster that could contend for an AA so Facundo could redshirt. Maybe there’s a second semester transfer out there and they wait and see on pulling shirt. If he does go, I think he just misses AA. Joe I think sneaks in and does AA at 157. I also think both Bartlett and SVN at least AAs and maybe even surprises us by reaching consi finals match. Now the big one, Steen I think will qualify but only gets a win maybe 2 at Nats. If it’s Suriano which I highly doubt, I think he knocks off Spencer Lee in the finals giving Iowa exactly ZERO individual champs.

Ok, see you guys Sunday night. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT