ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flo has it published. Gabe Tagg from NC state - Freshman - isn't he the one that beat RBY in the us open two years ago?
Yes, except UNC (not NC State). 141.

This came up about a month ago. He's from NE Ohio -- very close to Cleveland State and Kent State; and with anOSU, Pitt, and Edinboro all about 2 hrs away.

They same RBY who ran circles around Austin DeSanto. Made him looked flat footed and slow.

Too bad he didn't cradle him and put AS on his back... oh, I'm sorry... he did that as DeSanto cried out to stop from getting flattened. At lease RBY, took it like a man.

I was just providing information to the guy he asked the question; I was not trying to be critical one way or another, and certainly not trying to bash your kid. His talent is very obvious and getting stuck can happen to anyone, just ask Spencer Lee. As for ADS vs. RBY, it is what it is, and I don't see that changing this year for sure.

We talked about it when it was first announced, but it should be noted that Tagg's folkstyle results just aren't there. He's transferring because he can't make the lineup at UNC and neither of the guys they started this year are that good. He took a pretty dominant loss to Kai Orine in an extra match. I would be pretty shocked to see interest from PSU. I don't think he'd ever see the lineup here. tOSU makes sense. He's an ohio boy, and they are super weak at 133, so he might have a shot to start there, especially if Decatur can't make it anymore.

Any word on Shane Griffith’s thoughts for next year? Stanford‘s program is gone...he needs to go somewhere. Looking forward to him beating the a bull in quartets. High School teammate with Robbie Howard. He would look good in blue and white.

Any word on Shane Griffith’s thoughts for next year? Stanford‘s program is gone...he needs to go somewhere. Looking forward to him beating the a bull in quartets. High School teammate with Robbie Howard. He would look good in blue and white.
As much as I'd love to have him here, seriously doubt that happens.

Have heard nothing concrete in terms of schools, just that he plans to graduate from Stanford before transferring and is very serious about his professional (post-wrestling) career.

Combine that with wrestling and I'd expect him to go to Penn. Stanford undergrad, Ivy grad, AND train with Burroughs? That'll be hard to top.

But to reiterate: Stanford isn't gone yet. It does look very bleak, but they've raised an enormous amount of money and haven't stopped fighting. Griffith has said he will stay if the program is saved.

Have heard nothing concrete in terms of schools, just that he plans to graduate from Stanford before transferring and is very serious about his professional (post-wrestling) career.

Combine that with wrestling and I'd expect him to go to Penn. Stanford undergrad, Ivy grad, AND train with Burroughs? That'll be hard to top.

But to reiterate: Stanford isn't gone yet. It does look very bleak, but they've raised an enormous amount of money and haven't stopped fighting. Griffith has said he will stay if the program is saved.
I would not be surprised to see the Stanford president get fired before this is all over. He is making enemies with some powerful people.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

The ivies don't allow grad students to compete athletically, so if he graduates from Stanford, you can cross them off the list.

I know the speculation on Woods is that he's a Michigan lock. I wonder if Griffith would follow? It's hard to think of a non-Ivy academic situation that makes sense. Northwestern? Does anybody remember who was in on him out of high school? Also, remember when there were people on here adamant that he would not be an upgrade over Lee?

The ivies don't allow grad students to compete athletically, so if he graduates from Stanford, you can cross them off the list.

I know the speculation on Woods is that he's a Michigan lock. I wonder if Griffith would follow? It's hard to think of a non-Ivy academic situation that makes sense. Northwestern? Does anybody remember who was in on him out of high school? Also, remember when there were people on here adamant that he would not be an upgrade over Lee?
Good catch, I forgot about Ivies not allowing grad athletics.

Adam Busiello in the transfer portal for the second time . Hope he finally finds a home someplace.

Best of luck to the kid. I think the kid realized he wanted to chase a dream and wrestle for PSU especially since 149 looked like there might be an opening long term here. After we just landed Shayne Van Ness, clear it isn't meant to be. He's way too good to just ride the pine for 4 years.

Reactions: hlstone

From an academic standpoint, Duke and UVA are both outstanding.

Michigan, UNC and Columbia MBAs are ranked up there with the Ivies.

Columbia is an ivy. UNC is a good suggestion. That along with UVA and Michigan make the most sense from a wrestling + academics standpoint.

Not Rutgers? @matter7172

tenor.gif

Are people assuming Griffith is primarily concerned with academic ranking for his next school just because he went to Stanford? Like Jefe said above, I think the only comment the kid has made on transferring is he will only leave Stanford if the program is for sure gone.

To be honest, he'll already has a Stanford degree, combine that with the fact he's an athlete (and top notch one) and he can pretty much already do whatever he wants in life after wrestling and graduate degrees might not even boost much in terms of career prospects. A MBA to be honest is probably not even the right path to go for a kid fresh out of undergraduate with no work experience.

Last edited:
No inside info -- but I'm guessing that everyone is looking at the wrong career path.

Griffith's major at Stanford is Science, Technology, and Society. My experience (as an engineer) with STS at PSU is that department did not require any science fundamentals -- no math, bio, chem, or physics. Yet they always knew better than people with those fundamentals.

So IMO that's not an MBA major. That's a law school major.

No inside info -- but I'm guessing that everyone is looking at the wrong career path.

Griffith's major at Stanford is Science, Technology, and Society. My experience (as an engineer) with STS at PSU is that department did not require any science fundamentals -- no math, bio, chem, or physics. Yet they always knew better than people with those fundamentals.

Zingggggg.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel

Sounds like every HR department. They know more than engineering, marketing and finance without having clue 1 about any of those areas.

Columbia is an ivy. UNC is a good suggestion. That along with UVA and Michigan make the most sense from a wrestling + academics standpoint.
Yeah, Darden (UVA) and Ross (Michigan) are much better business school than Kenan-Flagler (UNC). However Michigan and UVA are likely out if his goal is an MBA, as most top B schools will not take students directly out of undergrad as they do not have much to offer the cohort. Darden will accept students directly out of undergrad, but they have to get at least two years of work experience before matriculating for instance. Top MBA programs care a lot more about work experience than undergraduate performance. That said, UNC, Michigan, and UVA have a lot of other highly ranked graduate programs.

What happened with Adam? such a great HS career, now can not find a home?
I think he just peaked early. As he grew, his results got worse. By the end of his career, I don't think anybody saw him as elite anymore. Also looked like a kid that might be dealing with some burnout. He was a big weight cutter.

I think he just peaked early. As he grew, his results got worse. By the end of his career, I don't think anybody saw him as elite anymore. Also looked like a kid that might be dealing with some burnout. He was a big weight cutter.

He was also injured a lot. I don't think we saw a healthy Adam since his sophomore year in HS. That will take a toll. I always wondered if he would ever be able to have a college career based on the injuries.

He was also injured a lot. I don't think we saw a healthy Adam since his sophomore year in HS. That will take a toll. I always wondered if he would ever be able to have a college career based on the injuries.

Would love to see a long-term study on the affects of extreme weight loss at it relates to injury history. I feel like Cael was way ahead of the curve with realizing starving kids is not the path toward making them stronger. Seems self-evident, but it seems like some schools (Oklahoma State) still have not figured it out.

Hofstra was my first thought

Or LIU!

He was a Barn Brothers kid under the Patrovich family; so there are ties to both programs.

When motivated, he is an extreme talent. As a Pride grad/fan, I'd be glad to take a flier on him...

Just don't know if his heart is into the sport anymore.

What happened with Adam? such a great HS career, now can not find a home?

Adam will find a home easily. He's a talented kid who IMO hit a growth spurt and hasn't been able to adjust yet (combined with his injuries mentioned above). Hopefully his injuries have recovered since he's only wrestled one tournament (5 matches) his first 2 years in college.

It was clear he decommitted from PSU when it seemed like a long shot he would ever break the lineup but came back because he didn't want to give up on his dream (he had a makeshift PSU singlet since he was in middle school) When he transferred here, it looked like 149 or 141 could potentially be open after Nick graduated. Now, Nick is around one more year and we have SVN.

Last edited:
Reactions: tabenn
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT