ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably. Incredibly rare for a returning D1 champ to transfer. Offhand, the only ones I can think of are Mocco, Suriano, Gross, and Tsirtsis. Perhaps there were others, but highly unlikely that any repeated as champ at a second school.
A lot more in recent times....

I bet more happen with the new NIL stuff

Iowa fans just get pissy when I go over there to correct their foolishness and some come here to play hero. I'll use the Teasdale saga as an example. I bit my tongue for a couple months listening to their "insiders" tell us how well Gavin was adjusting to his new teammates and coaching staff. I hear and see things, I knew it was a bunch of bullshit so I dangled some stuff to see who would hang themselves with their lies. Eventually I just asked a simple question if Teasdale was at a tournament. If memory serves it was maybe Big 10s. Anyway, their idiot insiders were saying oh yes...he's doing great too and one moron even commented that he saw him in the background on TV. This surprised me (not really) and thought that was some epic trickery Teasdale pulled off considering I saw him in SW PA while the tournament was in progress. Still never said anything....let them go on about how great things were with Iowa and Gavin knowing things werent so great with him. Once the new roster came out, I just asked a simple question to see if they wanted to feed everyone even more bullshit on top of the bullshit they already shoveled down my throat. I simply asked if Iowa listed their redshirt freshman on their roster. I knew the answer but eventually someone picked up what I was really inquiring about. Pretty sure I was banned soon after that but even then those insiders telling me I was crazy to insinuate that there was something up with Teasdale being at Iowa. If I'm not mistaken, JS was one the idiots over there saying it.

Like I said, I go there mainly to pushback when they are telling lies about our wrestlers, their parents, the program and coaching staff and they hate me for it. I also call them out on things within their own program that I know is not true. Real Hawk fans are nothing like the group they allowed to take over that board. Nothing. Matter of fact, I'm close to one in particular that has given me quite a few insider tidbits that turned out to be true. I've never had a problem with any Hawk fan I've met and talked with. Only those on HR.
Pro tip. If you need a message board book" to convey a thought, you probably lost the argument

Ps - luv ya bro

#eatitturk

70a.png
Wtf are you talking about? I always sit and take my ownage just as I will now.

Then after things play out and I end up correct, I'll go over to HR and tell you about it like I always do.

And then you can cry to mod...like you always do... and then he can ban me like he always does...

:)

Reactions: nitlion6
Wtf are you talking about? I always sit and take my ownage just as I will now.

Then after things play out and I end up correct, I'll go over to HR and tell you about it like I always do.

And then you can cry to mod...like you always do... and then he can ban me like he always does...

:)
juyz06s5qir61.jpg

Potential 4D chess move by Tom Brands: Announce Spencer is redshirting in hopes Suriano decides not to come back. Then pull his redshirt next January when it's too late for Nick to enroll somewhere.

If it wasn't for Suriano supposedly wanting to beat Lee, Iowa should have got in on the Suriano sweepstakes and let Lee redshirt, preventing Suriano from going to PSU and keeping Iowa as the favorites.

Reactions: Dogwelder
You are an idiot. ... What also makes you and idiot is your silence over there when your crew promotes that our wrestlers use steroids or parents and kids taking payoffs. Im done discussing this with you.
May we please not subject the readers of this forum to having to read name calling? (unless directed by Willie at Jammenz :))

Last edited:
Only other champ transfer that I could think of was Howe, but he took 2nd after transferring to Oklahoma.

Then again, I had forgotten about Tsirtsis, so could be more...
You have it backwards. Howe won his title his senior year at Oklahoma.

Reactions: danoftw and jrod65
We strike out on Wick Bc our administration is archaic. Hopefully we can land suriano

that would make for an epic Big 10 and NCAA battle

Reactions: Kale_yeah
"Tell me you know nothing about wrestling without telling me you know nothing about wrestling"

Must be pretty miserable to not be able to handle your favorite wrestling team not being on top for a few years to the point you're writing novels on anonymous wrestling forums about how only your staff has wrestling and life figured out and everybody else is miserable and not having fun.

More like Jonestownsteel
Gonna leave the following footnotes of the Gilman interview right here...

. From 24:09 to 28:40, Thomas talks about his difficulty adjusting to the NLWC/Penn State "have fun" philosophy compared to the "Iowa style" philosophy. He said when he was at Iowa they used to make fun of Penn State's focus on having fun. He quoted Tom Brands as saying if you want to have fun "go out there and win". Thomas described himself as facing an "identity crisis" as he initially tried to adjust to the "have fun" mindset. Based on all his comments, though, he seems to have really bought into the new mindset and is experiencing a renaissance in his wrestling career as he has found a newfound joy for the sport.

Thomas had high praise for Nick Lee and RBY in particular and mentioned how tough the room is with all the talent there. Regarding RBY, he said there are times RBY beats him and "sometimes he beats me pretty good". He talked about "not being afraid to make mistakes" and how he needed the camaraderie of the NLWC/Penn State room and having others "in the trenches with him".

One thing Thomas mentioned that grabbed my attention was how he now views negative experiences from his past. He said he used to keep hold of those negative experiences to drive himself, but he now realizes he needed to address those issues, take from them what he has learned, but then let go of them and leave them in the past. He gave the analogy of how small a rearview mirror in a vehicle is compared to the front windshield. As he stated, "You don't need to be looking in the rearview mirror. It is just there to learn and keep you honest. We need to have our focus on the windshield and moving forward." Good stuff.

When asked to compare the training environment and how practices are structured at HWC versus NLWC, Thomas said the NLWC emphasizes time off and physical, mental and emotional recovery. I think this is one of the major reasons why PSU tends to "peak" more consistently at the National tournament compared to other teams; they just seem to be fresher and more loose.

So JS...Seems one of us is more correct than the other going by this Thomas Gilman interview.

And btw, I did apologize for the name calling but it was directed to those who had to read it and not you. I wont apologize for calling anyone an idiot if they want to say I want bad things to happen to college athletes. Sorry...I just won't..

I would like to point out that Thomas only had good things to say about his coaching while at Iowa. He was just talking about the differences, and his own personal growth story, which of course in part has to do with the change in scenery, coaching, partners, mentality etc

I would like to point out that Thomas only had good things to say about his coaching while at Iowa. He was just talking about the differences, and his own personal growth story, which of course in part has to do with the change in scenery, coaching, partners, mentality etc
Yes, but Iowa did not fare to well in the comparison.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Gonna leave the following footnotes of the Gilman interview right here...
. From 24:09 to 28:40, Thomas talks about his difficulty adjusting to the NLWC/Penn State "have fun" philosophy compared to the "Iowa style" philosophy. He said when he was at Iowa they used to make fun of Penn State's focus on having fun. He quoted Tom Brands as saying if you want to have fun "go out there and win". Thomas described himself as facing an "identity crisis" as he initially tried to adjust to the "have fun" mindset. Based on all his comments, though, he seems to have really bought into the new mindset and is experiencing a renaissance in his wrestling career as he has found a newfound joy for the sport.

Thomas had high praise for Nick Lee and RBY in particular and mentioned how tough the room is with all the talent there. Regarding RBY, he said there are times RBY beats him and "sometimes he beats me pretty good". He talked about "not being afraid to make mistakes" and how he needed the camaraderie of the NLWC/Penn State room and having others "in the trenches with him".

One thing Thomas mentioned that grabbed my attention was how he now views negative experiences from his past. He said he used to keep hold of those negative experiences to drive himself, but he now realizes he needed to address those issues, take from them what he has learned, but then let go of them and leave them in the past. He gave the analogy of how small a rearview mirror in a vehicle is compared to the front windshield. As he stated, "You don't need to be looking in the rearview mirror. It is just there to learn and keep you honest. We need to have our focus on the windshield and moving forward." Good stuff.

When asked to compare the training environment and how practices are structured at HWC versus NLWC, Thomas said the NLWC emphasizes time off and physical, mental and emotional recovery. I think this is one of the major reasons why PSU tends to "peak" more consistently at the National tournament compared to other teams; they just seem to be fresher and more loose.

So JS...Seems one of us is more correct than the other going by this Thomas Gilman interview.

And btw, I did apologize for the name calling but it was directed to those who had to read it and not you. I wont apologize for calling anyone an idiot if they want to say I want bad things to happen to college athletes. Sorry...I just won't..
Great, that’s 2.5” of the f’in binder right there.

I will add though, jts, that your assertion that Gilman’s quotes make you correct is a bit like the insurance commercials that say how much switchers save: it’s naturally biased. It’s just the extent that’s in question.

Great, that’s 2.5” of the f’in binder right there.

I will add though, jts, that your assertion that Gilman’s quotes make you correct is a bit like the insurance commercials that say how much switchers save: it’s naturally biased. It’s just the extent that’s in question.
True but I'm going to take Thomas' words at face value. Had I not drawn a conclusion that Thomas is now a completely different person on and off the mat, I may not be so inclined to do so. Of course, I may be biased as well and he really isnt so different after all. :)

And I'd like to point out (most notably to js)that I have absolutely no problem with Brands, the way he runs his program and the way he treats his wrestlers. His style obviously works for him considering his successes, just feel his style restricts him somewhat in the type of athlete he needs to bring in and keep buying into his way for 4 or 5 years. I honestly feel when his type of wrestler needs to be more mentally "tough" than they'd need to be at every other program out there including Penn State. Sometimes I feel some of those he gets just don't fully "make it" the entire time they are there and the results show that.

Then we have Cael, he does things his way and obviously that works for him. Still feel his room is an atmosphere where its stressed wrestling is secondary to alot of things in life. And yes....one that stresses having fun and one where you are not afraid to lose or give up points because (going back to point one) wrestling isnt that important in the scheme of things. Yes, of course winning is important, he wants to get the best out of them but feel he balances that need to succeed on the mat with a need to succeed and be happy in life better than any other coach out there.

Ok...the cult meeting is over.

Ya'll have a great day.

We should implement a Name Your Price tool: tell @johnstownsteel how much you can afford, and he'll accordingly adjust how much crap he heaps on Iowa.

Yes, of course winning is important, he wants to get the best out of them but feel he balances that need to succeed on the mat with a need to succeed and be happy in life better than any other coach out there.
Winning is very very important to Cael. That is why he runs the room the way that he does. He is experienced at winning and so he shares that with his young wrestlers until they mature and understand it too.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT