ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Transfer OL Hunter Nourzad commits to Penn State

Any of you ever held a blocking shield for an interior NFL lineman? Ha…yes right size, quickness, strength and technique, leverage, etc.. one thing they have…Power in their hands. Feels like a sledge hammer even from six inches away when they strike with their hands…unimaginable power. 😳 that’s how they are successful and get that upper hand on their blocks.

Franklin and Trautwein surely realize how poorly Wallace played at OT during the 2021 season and his limited upside at OT, so I believe there is a very good chance, better than 50-50, that Wallace will not be the starting right side OT in 2022. Although Tengwall's long term future may be at Guard, he played better in the 3/4 of one game when he played OT as a true freshman than Wallace played in his 2nd year starting in his 3rd year at PSU. So I believe that the staff will look at Tengwall as an upgrade at OT in the near term with the other serious contender at OT being JB Nelson who enrolled in January. And I look for Wallace to battle for playing time inside along with Nourzad, Wormley, Achumba, Dawkins, and Effner. The wild card seems to be JB Nelson, who could go anywhere from being the starting right OT to redshirting. Hopefully Christ has made enough progress to be a serviceable backup OT in 2022, his 3rd year at PSU, which could allow Nelson to redshirt if he does not win the starting right OT job. Further depth at OT if Nelson redshirts would have to come from Traore and Effner, so it will be interesting to see what position they practice at this Spring.

I also don't believe Scruggs is a shoe in at Center, although he obviously has a leg up at the position even though he seemed to get pushed back into the pocket all too often in 2021. Surely with all the inside players on the roster there will be competition for the Center spot as well. Possibly Nourzad makes a run at the starting Center spot, or one of Achumba, Dawkins or even Effner, so I would handicap it at about a 2/3rds chance that Scruggs holds off the competition.

So I'm in the camp that sees a major OL shake up, and I'll go with a prediction of

Fashanu, Wormley, Nourzad/Scruggs splitting time, Wallace, Tengwall.

With JB Nelson enrolling for Spring and having a good chance to settle into the competition, he may just have the opportunity to start at right OT, which might result in an OL of Fashanu, Tengwall, Nourzad/Scruggs, Wallace, Nelson.

But the biggest positive I see in the OL going into 2022 is that there will be better competition at at least 4 of the 5 OL positions, with Fashanu about the only player that has a starting spot pretty much sewn up, than what Franklin's teams have had during his prior tenure at PSU. The last 8 years. Young players can and do make big jumps in performance from year to year and with more young olinemen on the roster than in recent years we could see a positive surprise or two right out of the gate in 2022.
Don't we want Tengwall at guard not right OT? He is naturally a guard, right?

Reactions: rcy4499 and TheGLOV
Don't we want Tengwall at guard not right OT? He is naturally a guard, right?
That's what has been said. But Trautwein will do his best to get the best 5 olinemen on the field.

Tengwall looked like the best OT on the field for PSU when he got to play last year, and there are plenty of options for the 3 inside positions.

He could play OT opposite Fashanu until some of the recent OT recruits (Christ, Nelson, Shelton, McNeil) mature a bit, and then move to Guard. Or he could just stay at OT at PSU and move to Guard in the NFL which many top talent college olinemen do.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out, now that Trautwein seems to have considerably more options than what he had when he first arrived at PSU......

Reactions: LMTLION and royboy
It seems that size is somewhat over valued. Any player that comes from the Ivey League into PSU S&C program is going to convert some weight into muscle, and end up bigger.

But the average weight/size of NFL Olines are in some cases smaller than big time college football Olines. We need better olinemen not necessarily bigger olinemen.........
I checked out the starting 0L‘s for both Super Bowl teams and you are correct. While there are a few big boys on each line, both lines are largely made up of lineman very close to 300 pounds. We get sucked into in this conference the idea that we need huge lines to compete, but that’s certainly not true in the NFL with the two Super Bowl teams.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Size gets you by early on i.e. HS, College--but technique and skill is what makes you a starter in the league.

One of the reasons Warren Sapp was so good overall---he played in the NFC Central which had very large and slower interior lineman...when he played AFC teams especially back then they were smaller than their NFC counterparts as the NFC was different style of play. The AFC lineman could handle Sapps quickness more easily than the larger lineman that he outplayed in the NFC.

Size gets you by early on i.e. HS, College--but technique and skill is what makes you a starter in the league.

One of the reasons Warren Sapp was so good overall---he played in the NFC Central which had very large and slower interior lineman...when he played AFC teams especially back then they were smaller than their NFC counterparts as the NFC was different style of play. The AFC lineman could handle Sapps quickness more easily than the larger lineman that he outplayed in the NFC.
For some reason, the average fan tends to dismiss technique and execution in football.

ADVERTISEMENT