FB Recruiting Transfer OL Hunter Nourzad commits to Penn State

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Last edited:
Olu, Tengwell, Scruggs, Nourzad, Wallace

Still would like to see Wallace on the inside but this will do.

Franklin and Trautwein surely realize how poorly Wallace played at OT during the 2021 season and his limited upside at OT, so I believe there is a very good chance, better than 50-50, that Wallace will not be the starting right side OT in 2022. Although Tengwall's long term future may be at Guard, he played better in the 3/4 of one game when he played OT as a true freshman than Wallace played in his 2nd year starting in his 3rd year at PSU. So I believe that the staff will look at Tengwall as an upgrade at OT in the near term with the other serious contender at OT being JB Nelson who enrolled in January. And I look for Wallace to battle for playing time inside along with Nourzad, Wormley, Achumba, Dawkins, and Effner. The wild card seems to be JB Nelson, who could go anywhere from being the starting right OT to redshirting. Hopefully Christ has made enough progress to be a serviceable backup OT in 2022, his 3rd year at PSU, which could allow Nelson to redshirt if he does not win the starting right OT job. Further depth at OT if Nelson redshirts would have to come from Traore and Effner, so it will be interesting to see what position they practice at this Spring.

I also don't believe Scruggs is a shoe in at Center, although he obviously has a leg up at the position even though he seemed to get pushed back into the pocket all too often in 2021. Surely with all the inside players on the roster there will be competition for the Center spot as well. Possibly Nourzad makes a run at the starting Center spot, or one of Achumba, Dawkins or even Effner, so I would handicap it at about a 2/3rds chance that Scruggs holds off the competition.

So I'm in the camp that sees a major OL shake up, and I'll go with a prediction of

Fashanu, Wormley, Nourzad/Scruggs splitting time, Wallace, Tengwall.

With JB Nelson enrolling for Spring and having a good chance to settle into the competition, he may just have the opportunity to start at right OT, which might result in an OL of Fashanu, Tengwall, Nourzad/Scruggs, Wallace, Nelson.

But the biggest positive I see in the OL going into 2022 is that there will be better competition at at least 4 of the 5 OL positions, with Fashanu about the only player that has a starting spot pretty much sewn up, than what Franklin's teams have had during his prior tenure at PSU. The last 8 years. Young players can and do make big jumps in performance from year to year and with more young olinemen on the roster than in recent years we could see a positive surprise or two right out of the gate in 2022.

Last edited:
Franklin and Trautwein surely realize how poorly Wallace played at OT during the 2021 season and his limited upside at OT, so I believe there is a very good chance, better than 50-50, that Wallace will not be the starting right side OT in 2022. Although Tengwall's long term future may be at Guard, he played better in the 3/4 of one game when he played OT as a true freshman than Wallace played in his 2nd year starting in his 3rd year at PSU. So I believe that the staff will look at Tengwall as an upgrade at OT in the near term with the other serious contender at OT being JB Nelson who enrolled in January. And I look for Wallace to battle for playing time inside along with Nourzad, Wormley, Achumba, Dawkins, and Effner. The wild card seems to be JB Nelson, who could go anywhere from being the starting right OT to redshirting. Hopefully Christ has made enough progress to be a serviceable backup OT in 2022, his 3rd year at PSU, which could allow Nelson to redshirt if he does not win the starting right OT job. Further depth at OT if Nelson redshirts would have to come from Traore and Effner, so it will be interesting to see what position they practice at this Spring.

I also don't believe Scruggs is a shoe in at Center, although he obviously has a leg up at the position even though he seemed to get pushed back into the pocket all too often in 2021. Surely with all the inside players on the roster there will be competition for the Center spot as well. Possibly Nourzad makes a run at the starting Center spot, or one of Achumba, Dawkins or even Effner, so I would handicap it at about a 2/3rds chance that Scruggs holds off the competition.

So I'm in the camp that sees a major OL shake up, and I'll go with a prediction of

With JB Nelson enrolling for Spring and having a good chance to settle into the competition, he may just have the opportunity to start at right OT, which might result in an OL of Fashanu, Wormley, Nourzad/Scruggs, Tengwall, Nelson.

But the biggest positive I see in the OL going into 2022 is that there will be better competition at at least 4 of the 5 OL positions, with Fashanu about the only player that has a starting spot pretty much sewn up, than what Franklin's teams have had during his prior tenure at PSU. The last 8 years. Young players can and do make big jumps in performance from year to year and with more young olinemen on the roster than in recent years we could see a positive surprise or two right out of the gate in 2022.
I would buy that, all of it.....

Nice addition to the team at a position group in need of addition. Hope he has a great couple of years at PSU. In fact, I hope he has such a good first year that he can turn pro and forego his second year!

With JB Nelson enrolling for Spring and having a good chance to settle into the competition, he may just have the opportunity to start at right OT, which might result in an OL of Fashanu, Wormley, Nourzad/Scruggs, Tengwall, Nelson.

That all sounds great. Sure hope you’re right!

The only worry I have right now is if Nourzad turns out like Wilson from Harvard. Wilson was serviceable and was a starter but really wasn't a factor. Hopefully this guy is better.

Need to put on at least 10#s to be a factor in the B10. This ain't the Ivy League. Ideally he should have come in this semester to he gets the benefit from our winter workouts.

Need to put on at least 10#s to be a factor in the B10. This ain't the Ivy League. Ideally he should have come in this semester to he gets the benefit from our winter workouts.
Interesting stat though…Cornell gave up 9 sacks all season. The next lowest team apparently had mid 30s if I understood correctly.

Interesting stat though…Cornell gave up 9 sacks all season. The next lowest team apparently had mid 30s if I understood correctly.

What is there scheme?? Does the QB sit back in the pocket for 4-5 seconds or is it a 3 step drop and out comes the ball? How many do think they would give up by our some what average DL last season? I suspect 3 or 4 unless the QB is getting the ball our of his hand really fast.

I hope the kid works out but he is too light and short to play OT in the B10. Move him inside and he is going to be giving up 10-30# against opposing B10 DTs. I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying that is not going to work out well. He needs to add at least 10# to have a shot at starting, if he doesn't and he starts that IMO tells me we are in a world of hurt on the OL next season.

What is there scheme?? Does the QB sit back in the pocket for 4-5 seconds or is it a 3 step drop and out comes the ball? How many do think they would give up by our some what average DL last season? I suspect 3 or 4 unless the QB is getting the ball our of his hand really fast.

I hope the kid works out but he is too light and short to play OT in the B10. Move him inside and he is going to be giving up 10-30# against opposing B10 DTs. I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying that is not going to work out well. He needs to add at least 10# to have a shot at starting, if he doesn't and he starts that IMO tells me we are in a world of hurt on the OL next season.

Wrong. You don't even know his current weight.

Reactions: rcy4499

Just an interesting stat. That’s all. So is the 127 ypg average on the ground. One stat is nice to look at…127 per game isn’t.

he sucks. PSU got him cause no :oops:one else wanted him.

Reactions: brupsu
Physically, he has the looks. Saw somewhere that he was 6-4, 298 which is not too small, even in the Big. If he gets to 305-310 which is likely, that would be a good size for an OG.
It seems that size is somewhat over valued. Any player that comes from the Ivey League into PSU S&C program is going to convert some weight into muscle, and end up bigger.

But the average weight/size of NFL Olines are in some cases smaller than big time college football Olines. We need better olinemen not necessarily bigger olinemen.........

Linderbaum, best center in the country, 291; Kelce, one of the best centers in the NFL, 285. Leverage is so important to an OL and both play with it.
As a seriously undersized guard in high school I rountinely pushed around guys 25 LBs or more bigger than I. Developed a lot of little techniques to use against them. Toughest gam eI had was against a guy only ten pounds heavier. Guy was quick, strong, and talented.

Reactions: bison13 and brupsu
As a seriously undersized guard in high school I rountinely pushed around guys 25 LBs or more bigger than I. Developed a lot of little techniques to use against them. Toughest gam eI had was against a guy only ten pounds heavier. Guy was quick, strong, and talented.
Jerry Jones was a "180 OG" on the Arkansas Natl Championship Team.

• Haha
Reactions: rcy4499
Dude, where ya been? Was worried about you!

Top Secret Potato Head Mission Scouting Arkanass Hogbellies in the Class o/2029 and 2030. Some big bois runnin aroun out here... it doesnt help that JF has ignored proper Potato Head Props in the Ozarks but We Are building bridges and burning the right ones too.

Reactions: bison13
Top Secret Potato Head Mission Scouting Arkanass Hogbellies in the Class o/2029 and 2030. Some big bois runnin aroun out here... it doesnt help that JF has ignored proper Potato Head Props in the Ozarks but We Are building bridges and burning the right ones too.
Hope I get invited to the spring pig roast. Any excuse to go up to God’s Country!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT