ADVERTISEMENT

Tracking the BWI Board 2016-17 LMS Contest

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Here are the entrants I recorded, for each participant. Primary is listed as 1, and Backup is listed as 2.

Tom McAndrew
  1. Zavatsky (lost on 12/3)
  2. Massa (lost on 1/20)
psurescurve
  1. K. Brock (lost on 1/21)
  2. V. Joseph (lost 11/13)
obrats
  1. Z. Valencia
  2. Suriano (lost on 1/20)
CowboyUp61
  1. Barlow McGhee (did not wrestle on 11/13)
  2. Piccininni (lost on 12/17/16)
tikk10
  1. Massa (lost on 1/20)
  2. J. Eierman (did not wrestle on 11/13)
El-Jefe
  1. Kemerer (lost on 1/20)
  2. Hayes (lost on 11/13)
sneedram55
  1. Suriano (lost on 1/20)
  2. Z. Valencia
jrod9
  1. V. Joseph (lost on 11/13)
  2. Micic (lost 11/5)
KidNittany
  1. Chad Red (lost on 11/13)
  2. C. Rodgers (lost on 12/2)
nitlion6
  1. N. Nevills (lost on 1/27)
  2. K. Brock (lost on 1/21)
a_mshaffer
  1. Marinelli (did not wrestle on 11/13)
  2. Kemerer (lost on 1/20)
CSauertiegPSU
  1. Cortez (lost on 11/20)
  2. Kolodzik (lost on 12/30)
johnstownsteel
  1. Z. Valencia
  2. V. Joseph (lost on 11/13)
NoVa Lion
  1. M. Jordan (did not wrestle on 1/22)
  2. N. Nevills (lost on 1/27)
caliPSUfan
  1. Rohskopf (inj default on 12/3)
  2. Zavatsky (lost on 12/3)
histone -- Winner of the 2016-17 BWI Board LMS Contest
  1. Z. Valencia
  2. N. Nevills (lost on 1/27)
LaxHawk174
  1. Kemerer (lost on 1/20)
LeelandLoyal
WildTurk
  1. Zavatsky (lost on 12/3)
Lion in Ga
  2. V. Joseph (lost on 11/13)
mikbard
  1. Kolodzik (lost on 12/30)
  2. Z. Valencia
Doak
  1. Z. Valencia
  2. A. Valencia (lost on 11/13)
JOETROSSER
  1. N. Nevils (lost on 1/27)
Gork2
  1. Micah Barnes (lost 11/6)
  2. Ryan Blees (did not wrestle on 11/5 for VT)
dsauer22
  1. Z. Valencia
  2. M. Jordan (did not wrestle on 1/22)
John Basedow
  1. Garrett Hammond (lost by inj. default on 11/6)
  2. Max Thomsen (lost on 11/18)
slushhead
  2. Studebaker (lost 11/6)
Rekabeduts69
Blackcat97
  1. Z. Valencia
  2. Massa (lost on 1/20)
Lion-around
PhilaNit
  2. Z. Valencia (lost on 11/13)
greenmanRD
  1. Massa (lost on 1/20)
ZepGraffiti
  2. Kolodzik (lost on 12/30)
SetonHallPirate
Clarion167
  2. A. Valencia (lost on 11/13)
lobo lion
  1. M. Jordan (did not wrestle on 1/22)
21Guns
  1. Massa (lost on 1/20)
bigbopper1985
  2. Z. Valencia
diggerpup
Gray52
  2. Brock Zacherl (lost on 12/2)
RoarLions1 (entered too late, but we'll post it to track how he would have done)
  2. Massa (lost on 1/20)

So after the 1st weekend of competition, here's what we have in the LMS contest:

Out: histone, Gork2, John Basedow, jrod9, and slushhead

- histone's out because Austin Harry lost on 11/6
(Note: This has been changed, as my spreadsheet did not reflect the edited entry by histone. He's still alive in the contest)
- Gork2's out because Micah Barnes lost on 11/6
- John Basedow's out because Garrett Hammond took an injury forfeit on 11/6
- jrod9's out because his backup, Micic, lost on 11/5, and several others have his primary (V. Joseph) and their backups have not yet lost
- slushhead's out because his backup, Studebaker, lost on 11/6, and several others have his primary (V. Joseph) and their backups have not yet lost

Note: If you find that an entrant lost, and I have not indicated as such, don't hesitate to post about it.

So after the 1st weekend of competition, here's what we have in the LMS contest:

Out: histone, Gork2, John Basedow, jrod9, and slushhead

- histone's out because Austin Harry lost on 11/6
- Gork2's out because Micah Barnes lost on 11/6
- John Basedow's out because Garrett Hammond took an injury forfeit on 11/6
- jrod9's out because his backup, Micic, lost on 11/5, and several others have his primary (V. Joseph) and their backups have not yet lost
- slushhead's out because his backup, Studebaker, lost on 11/6, and several others have his primary (V. Joseph) and their backups have not yet lost

Note: If you find that an entrant lost, and I have not indicated as such, don't hesitate to post about it.

I'm #1!!

Reactions: CowboyUp61
Can I post about how dumb I am for opening my big mouth to point out in the other thread how jrod9 was likely out, because others had Cenzo as their primary and it was unlikely that their secondaries would lose as quickly as jrod's did?

My secondary (Studebaker) promptly lost his 3rd match, too. Ha, I suppose I deserved that.

Wow, lots of blood on the mat, so to speak, in the 2nd week of the competition. After the 2nd weekend of competition, here's what we have in the LMS contest:

Out: CowboyUp61, jrod9, KidNittany, a_mshaffer, LeelandLoyal, Rekabeduts69, PhilaNit, ZepGraffiti, diggerpup, psurescurve, tikk10, El-Jefe, johnstownsteel, Lion in GA, Doak, and Clarion167

Previously out were: Gork2, John Basedow, jrod9, and slushhead

- CowboyUp61's out because Barlow McGhee did not start for Mizzou in their match against Old Dominion on 11/13
- jrod9's out because Vincenzo Joseph lost on 11/13 to Keaton Subjeck of Stanford
- KidNittany's out because Chad Red lost to teammate Colton McCrystal at the Cyclone Open
- a_mshaffer's out because Marinelli did not wrestle at the Luther Open
- LeelandLoyal's out because Vincenzo Joseph lost on 11/13 to Keaton Subjeck of Stanford
- Rekabeduts69's out because Vincenzo Joseph lost on 11/13 to Keaton Subjeck of Stanford
- PhilaNit's out because Vincenzo Joseph lost on 11/13 to Keaton Subjeck of Stanford
- ZepGraffiti's out because Vincenzo Joseph lost on 11/13 to Keaton Subjeck of Stanford
- diggerpup's out because Vincenzo Joseph lost on 11/13 to Keaton Subjeck of Stanford
- psurescurve's out because his backup, Vincenzo Joseph lost on 11/13 to Keaton Subjectk of Stanford, and 2 others have his primary (Kaid Brock) and their backups have not yet lost
- tikk10's out because his backup, Jaydin Eierman, did not start for Mizzou in their match against Old Dominion on 11/13, and 2 others have his primary (Massa) and their backups have not yet lost
- El-Jefe's out because his backup, Ke-Shawn Hayes, lost to Kevin Jack at the Journeyman Classic on 11/13, and 1 other has his primary (Kemerer) and their backup has not yet lost
- johnstownsteel's out because his backup, Vincenzo Joseph lost on 11/13 to Keaton Subjectk of Stanford, and 4 others have his primary (Kaid Brock) and their backups have not yet lost
- Lion in GA's out because his backup, Vincenzo Joseph lost on 11/13 to Keaton Subjectk of Stanford, and 3 others have his primary (Nick Suriano) and their backups have not yet lost
- Doak's out because his backup, Anthony Valencia, lost to Dylan Cottrell at the Journeyman Classic on 11/13, and several others have his primary (Z. Valencia) and their backups have not yet lost
- Clarion167's out because his backup, Anthony Valencia, lost to Dylan Cottrell at the Journeyman Classic on 11/13, and 2 others have his primary (Kaid Brock) and their backups have not yet lost

After the 3rd week of the competition, only 1 additional competitor has been dropped:

Out: CSauertiegPSU

Previously out were: Gork2, John Basedow, jrod9, slushhead, CowboyUp61, jrod9, KidNittany, a_mshaffer, LeelandLoyal, Rekabeduts69, PhilaNit, ZepGraffiti, diggerpup, psurescurve, tikk10, El-Jefe, johnstownsteel, Lion in GA, Doak, and Clarion167

CSauertiegPSU's out because Jered Cortez lost on 11/20 to Kevin Devoy of Drexel

Still in as of 11/22:

obrats, sneedram55, nitlion6, NoVa Lion, caliPSUfan, histone, LaxHawk174, WildTurk, mikbard, JOETROSSER, dsauer22, Blackcat97, Lion-around, greenmanRD, SetonHallPirate, lobo lion, 21Guns, bigbopper1985, Gray52, and yours truly.

And if Roar had posted his entry before the deadline, he'd still be in.

Still in as of 11/22:

obrats, nitlion6, NoVa Lion, caliPSUfan, histone, LaxHawk174, WildTurk, mikbard, JOETROSSER, dsauer22, Blackcat97, Lion-around, greenmanRD, SetonHallPirate, lobo lion, 21Guns, bigbopper1985, Gray52, and yours truly
I could be wrong, Tom, but I think I should be on the list of "still in".

Thanks!

I could be wrong, Tom, but I think I should be on the list of "still in".

my bad. I fixed my earlier post, and also rechecked the spreadsheet to make sure I had not made any other mistakes in the post of which entrants were still in.

After the 4th week of the competition, no additional competitors have been dropped.

There wasn't a lot of action around the Thanksgiving holiday, and of those that wrestled, none of those entered in the LMS contest had a defeat or did not wrestle for their team.

There are some tough duals in the coming week, plus the Cliff Keen Las Vegas tournament, so we could see more entrants dropping out of the competition.

Just curious, but would Marinelli be considered out if he doesn't wrestle against SDSU?

That ship has sailed. He didn't wrestle at the Luther Open, then he didn't wrestle in either of the matches at the Iowa Duals, and then he didn't wrestle in the dual against Purdue.

I had listed a_mshaffer (the only person that entered Marinelli in the LMS) out on the spreadsheet where I actually track the results, but it appears that I never indicated as much in a prior post. My bad.

I'll correct that.

You can list me as out. My back up, Brock Zacherl, lost today.

After the 5th week of the competition, only 4 additional competitors have been dropped:

Out: Tom McAndrew, caliPSUfan, WildTurk, and Gray52

Previously out were: Gork2, John Basedow, jrod9, slushhead, CowboyUp61, jrod9, KidNittany, a_mshaffer, CSauertiegPSU, LeelandLoyal, Rekabeduts69, PhilaNit, ZepGraffiti, diggerpup, psurescurve, tikk10, El-Jefe, johnstownsteel, Lion in GA, Doak, and Clarion167

Tom McAndrew's out because Zack Zavatsky lost on 12/3 to Gabe Dean of Cornell at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite
caliPSUfan's out because Max Rohskopf lost on 12/4 to John Van Brill (Rutgers) at the Journeyman Tussle
WildTurk's out because Zack Zavatsky lost on 12/3 to Gabe Dean of Cornell at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite
Gray52's out because his backup, Brock Zacherl lost on 12/2 to Russell Rohlfing (CSU-Bakersfield) at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite, and 2 others have his primary, Nick Suriano, and their backups have not lost

Still in as of 12/5:

obrats, sneedram55, nitlion6, NoVa Lion, histone, LaxHawk174, mikbard, JOETROSSER, dsauer22, Blackcat97, Lion-around, greenmanRD, SetonHallPirate, lobo lion, 21Guns, and bigbopper1985.

Reactions: hlstone
After the 6th week of the competition, no additional competitors have been dropped. All of the currently alive participants had either 1) wrestlers that did not compete due to their team no having any scheduled duals, or, 2) wrestlers that did compete but won their matches

Participants who have previously been eliminated:
Gork2, John Basedow, jrod9, slushhead, CowboyUp61, jrod9, KidNittany, a_mshaffer, CSauertiegPSU, LeelandLoyal, Rekabeduts69, PhilaNit, ZepGraffiti, diggerpup, psurescurve, tikk10, El-Jefe, johnstownsteel, Lion in GA, Doak, Clarion167, Tom McAndrew, caliPSUfan, WildTurk, and Gray52

Participants still in as of 12/12:

obrats, sneedram55, nitlion6, NoVa Lion, histone, LaxHawk174, mikbard, JOETROSSER, dsauer22, Blackcat97, Lion-around, greenmanRD, SetonHallPirate, lobo lion, 21Guns, and bigbopper1985.

After the 7th week of the competition, no additional competitors have been dropped. All of the currently alive participants had either 1) wrestlers that did not compete due to their team not having any scheduled duals, or, 2) wrestlers that did compete but won their matches, or 3) due to weather, their teams were not able to get to scheduled Opens

Gork2, John Basedow, jrod9, slushhead, CowboyUp61, jrod9, KidNittany, a_mshaffer, CSauertiegPSU, LeelandLoyal, Rekabeduts69, PhilaNit, ZepGraffiti, diggerpup, psurescurve, tikk10, El-Jefe, johnstownsteel, Lion in GA, Doak, Clarion167, Tom McAndrew, caliPSUfan, WildTurk, and Gray52

Participants still in as of 12/19:

Didn't all of us who had Penn State guys get eliminated? :p

No. If PSU had gotten to the Reno TOC, and any PSU wrestler in the LMS had skipped a match for any reason, then it would have eliminated the respective LMS contestants. Since PSU's flight(s) encountered weather issues which prevented PSU from getting to Reno, then it's my opinion, as the LMS commissioner, that the PSU wrestlers are given a pass for not wrestling at the Reno TOC.

I probably should have mentioned in in the Week 7 update that I had thought about the situation, and concluded the above.

No. If PSU had gotten to the Reno TOC, and any PSU wrestler in the LMS had skipped a match for any reason, then it would have eliminated the respective LMS contestants. Since PSU's flight(s) encountered weather issues which prevented PSU from getting to Reno, then it's my opinion, as the LMS commissioner, that the PSU wrestlers are given a pass for not wrestling at the Reno TOC.

I probably should have mentioned in in the Week 7 update that I had thought about the situation, and concluded the above.
Figured as such, and my post wasn't entirely serious...would've eliminated most of the competition (myself included) if you hadn't granted those with PSU wrestlers a reprieve.

I thought there would be more movement after Midlands and the Southern Scuffle. However, Logan Massa didn't wrestle in either, Micah Jordan did not wrestle in either, Zahid Valencia continued his great season, Nick Nevills didn't wrestle in either, Nick Suriano didn't wrestle in either, Kaid Brock won the Southern Scuffle, and Michael Kemerer won Midlands. January features a lot of B1G duals, so the potential is there for more movement in the coming weeks.

After the 8th week of the competition only 1 additional competitor has been dropped:
Out: mikbard

mikbard's out because Matt Kolodzik lost on 12/30 to Kevin Jack of NC State at the Midlands.

mikbard's secondary contestant, Z. Valencia, is still alive. However, there are other players that have their primary still alive, and Z. Valencia as their secondary, so mikbard can't beat them.

Participants still in as of 1/3:

obrats, sneedram55, nitlion6, NoVa Lion, histone, LaxHawk174, JOETROSSER, dsauer22, Blackcat97, Lion-around, greenmanRD, SetonHallPirate, lobo lion, 21Guns, and bigbopper1985.

The clock on my LMS pick (Kemerer) is ticking. Hoping everybody else loses by Jan 20th :D.

After the 9th week of the competition, no additional competitors have been dropped. All of the currently alive participants had either 1) wrestlers that won their matches (L. Massa, Z. Valencia, N. Suriano, M. Kemerer, N. Nevills, M. Jordan), or, 2) wrestlers whose team did not compete (K. Brock)

Gork2, John Basedow, jrod9, slushhead, CowboyUp61, jrod9, KidNittany, a_mshaffer, CSauertiegPSU, LeelandLoyal, Rekabeduts69, PhilaNit, ZepGraffiti, diggerpup, psurescurve, tikk10, El-Jefe, johnstownsteel, Lion in GA, mikbard, Doak, Clarion167, Tom McAndrew, caliPSUfan, WildTurk, and Gray52

Participants still in as of 1/9:

obrats, sneedram55, nitlion6, NoVa Lion, histone, LaxHawk174, JOETROSSER, dsauer22, Blackcat97, Lion-around, greenmanRD, SetonHallPirate, lobo lion, 21Guns, and bigbopper1985

And for histone's entertainment, if Roar had posted his entry before the deadline, Roar would still be in the running.

After the 10th week of the competition, no additional competitors have been dropped. L. Massa, Z. Valencia, N. Suriano, M. Kemerer, N. Nevills, M. Jordan, and K. Brock all won their matches over the past week. Kemerer and Brock faced stiff challenges, but came through. Hard to believe so many competitors are still undefeated. With this Friday's PSU - Iowa dual, Suriano, Kemerer, and Nevills are going to be facing difficult situations.

Gork2, John Basedow, jrod9, slushhead, CowboyUp61, jrod9, KidNittany, a_mshaffer, CSauertiegPSU, LeelandLoyal, Rekabeduts69, PhilaNit, ZepGraffiti, diggerpup, psurescurve, tikk10, El-Jefe, johnstownsteel, Lion in GA, mikbard, Doak, Clarion167, Tom McAndrew, caliPSUfan, WildTurk, and Gray52

Participants still in as of 1/16:

obrats, sneedram55, nitlion6, NoVa Lion, histone, LaxHawk174, JOETROSSER, dsauer22, Blackcat97, Lion-around, greenmanRD, SetonHallPirate, lobo lion, 21Guns, and bigbopper1985

Lastly, if Roar had posted his entry before the deadline, Roar would still be in the running.

Clock on Massa is ticking as well.

I seriously thought of entering Massa as my primary. Unfortunately for me, I entered him as my secondary. The biggest reason I did so was that I was concerned about him getting through Cliff Keen Las Vegas, in early December. He ended up defeating Anthony Valencia and then Isaac Jordan at CKLV.

Massa is slated to face IMar on Jan. 20, and also has a rematch with Isaac Jordan on Feb. 12. I should have mentioned him as having to face a difficult situation this weekend in my Week 10 update.

I seriously thought of entering Massa as my primary. Unfortunately for me, I entered him as my secondary. The biggest reason I did so was that I was concerned about him getting through Cliff Keen Las Vegas, in early December. He ended up defeating Anthony Valencia and then Isaac Jordan at CKLV.

Massa is slated to face IMar on Jan. 20, and also has a rematch with Isaac Jordan on Feb. 12. I should have mentioned him as having a to face a difficult situation this weekend in my Week 10 update.

I never thought it would go this far into the season. Z. Valencia has a couple of tough matches coming up but IMHO he probably is undefeated headed into NCAAs.

I never thought it would go this far into the season.

ditto

Z. Valencia has a couple of tough matches coming up but IMHO he probably is undefeated headed into NCAAs.

A big reason I opted to not enter either of the Valencia brothers was that ASU had so many tournaments on their schedule. I believe they only have 10 duals, home & away. However, they entered the following tournaments:

Daktronics Open
Journeymen
Bearcat Open
Cliff Keen Las Vegas
Midlands
Virginia Duals

As an aside, for those that complain about the dual schedule that PSU has this year, imagine only having 10 duals, with only 5 of them at home.

In addition to the uncertainty of the tournaments, ASU had an early dual with Ohio State (11/19). I had a hard time projecting either of the Valencias coming through that gauntlet undefeated.

Zahid's most challenging remaining matches are against:

- Ethan Ramo (UNC)
- Jim Wilson (Stanford)
- Zac Brunson (Illini)

At this point, it would not surprise me if he was undefeated heading into the PAC-12 Championships, and probably into NCAAs.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
ditto

A big reason I opted to not enter either of the Valencia brothers was that ASU had so many tournaments on their schedule. I believe they only have 10 duals, home & away. However, they entered the following tournaments:

Daktronics Open
Journeymen
Bearcat Open
Cliff Keen Las Vegas
Midlands
Virginia Duals

As an aside, for those that complain about the dual schedule that PSU has this year, imagine only having 10 duals, with only 5 of them at home.

In addition to the uncertainty of the tournaments, ASU had an early dual with Ohio State (11/19). I had a hard time projecting either of the Valencias coming through that gauntlet undefeated.

Zahid's most challenging remaining matches are against:

- Ethan Ramo (UNC)
- Jim Wilson (Stanford)
- Zac Brunson (Illini)

At this point, it would not surprise me if he was undefeated heading into the PAC-12 Championships, and probably into NCAAs.
That's the main reason I chose not to choose Zahid. My thought process was more along the lines of who had the best chance to make it to mid-late January undefeated, thus my Kemerer pick. I was not thinking it would last this long.

Yeah, Zahid was supposed to see Bo Jordan two or maybe even three times already. Been a crazy year for LMS, so many still standing.

Big changes with all the losses this weekend - Suriano, Massa, and Brock all with losses.

Argggggggggggggggh, and Micah Jordan didn't wrestle against MD so I'm out too. Looks like only nitlion6, hlstone, an bigbopper1985 are left.

Check that, Brock lost so that means hlstone is the winner unless I missed someone.

Last edited:
Argggggggggggggggh, and Micah Jordan didn't wrestle against MD so I'm out too. Looks like only nitlion6, hlstone, an bigbopper1985 are left.

Check that, Brock lost so that means hlstone is the winner unless I missed someone.

I hope you are right NoVa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT