ADVERTISEMENT

Football Tracking the 2023 Penn State Football TV Ratings -- Week Two

Good ratings for WVU.

Sadly, the Colorado/Nebraska game coupled with Colorado's success will normalize Coach Prime's actions when taking over that program. He got a lot of heat but the success on the field and with the ratings will cause other coaches/schools to emulate this. Look for teams to go all in on the portal and there be zero commitment to kids already in the program.

Good ratings for WVU.

Sadly, the Colorado/Nebraska game coupled with Colorado's success will normalize Coach Prime's actions when taking over that program. He got a lot of heat but the success on the field and with the ratings will cause other coaches/schools to emulate this. Look for teams to go all in on the portal and there be zero commitment to kids already in the program.

Agreed. I absolutely hate the way he's managed Colorado with no concern that these are very young men and student athletes but the success and attention means that this type of process will be encouraged and emulated rather than scorned. :(

Agreed. I absolutely hate the way he's managed Colorado with no concern that these are very young men and student athletes but the success and attention means that this type of process will be encouraged and emulated rather than scorned. :(
We shall see. The season has just begun. They will beat Colorado State this weekend, but then the meat of their schedule begins and they have to run the gauntlet of a PAC 12 that is pretty deep this year.

Poor Pry and Tech vs Purdue. Noon kick. 5+ hrs weather delay. I guess they finished before the McAfee telecast kicked em for Bama/Texas?

Good ratings for WVU.

You're not kidding, they have both Big Noon Kickoff (second week in a row) and College Football Gameday there this upcoming weekend.

You're not kidding, they have both Big Noon Kickoff (second week in a row) and College Football Gameday there this upcoming weekend.
Not surprising at all. That is what happens when the program is the CFB story of the season so far. The level of excitement is amazing and fun to watch.

Sadly why should we be surprised with what he did.. College football is at best semi-pro but in truth it's actually now professional. This stuff is to be expected.

Getting back to the topic at hand, do you think NBC is pleased with the massive drop in ratings from PSU-WVU to Charlotte-Twerps? They probably could've drawn a much better number by picking up PSU-Hens and relegating Charlotte-Twerps to Peacock.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Getting back to the topic at hand, do you think NBC is pleased with the massive drop in ratings from PSU-WVU to Charlotte-Twerps? They probably could've drawn a much better number by picking up PSU-Hens and relegating Charlotte-Twerps to Peacock.

NBC is intentionally willing to put "bigger" games on Peacock. This week they have Washington/MSU there which is probably the best Big Ten controlled game available. I'm sure they'd prefer to have good games on both Peacock and NBC but last week was terrible in terms of the Big Ten (home) game options.

NBC is intentionally willing to put "bigger" games on Peacock. This week they have Washington/MSU there which is probably the best Big Ten controlled game available. I'm sure they'd prefer to have good games on both Peacock and NBC but last week was terrible in terms of the Big Ten (home) game options.
I'm well-aware of what they are doing, and why they are doing it.

However:
1) Ratings sank like a stone. Do you think the advertisers are happy?
2) Did they drive any actual new subscribers to Peacock? I don't believe there's a "Nielsen" service for streaming numbers, so aren't advertisers and subscribers and those interested in the "actual" numbers at the mercy of whatever NBC/Peacock wants to report?
3) And while admittedly a small sample size, going by the major message boards and PSU fan sites, not many people actually were interested in subscribing, but rather how to watch without subscribing (free trials/$2.99 intro price then canceling/outright stealing/pirating or just plain going to a bar?). Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
4) And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all these streamers losing money? IIRC, Disney was losing billions with their product, and that's a rather extensive catalog and more expensive that Peacock.

Finally, I'm not attacking Peacock per se. I enjoyed it when it was part of my Xfinity deal. But when it ended, we didn't re-up, and we enjoyed some of their original programming (Poker Face comes to mind, but the first couple episodes were darn better than the last several. It's like they wrote themselves into a box with the seasonlong storyline instead of it just being a week-to-week whodunit/how did she solve it deal.

I wasn't going to subscribe for a game with Delaware. If major games start showing up there, and I don't have a tickets, perhaps but unlikely for me. Then again, if major games start showing up there, then cable isn't just dying, it's dead. And that disposable income is now freed up.

Should've went with PSU / Delaware or Ohio State game at least imo. Tough blow for them in week two, but who cares the deal is signed.

This week will be on the lower side as well since there are areas (like where I live) that certain providers haven’t made a deal with Fox.

Good ratings for WVU.

I understand why people are against it but I really don't see the issue. Is the HC keeping players he doesn't want in the program really a good thing for them?

I do agree though--this is going to be the new requirement because stating "you're building a program" isn't going to fly with the portal being available to rebuild the team immediately. Not sure if that's good or bad honestly (i see pros and cons) but it's going to be college football moving forward.

Reactions: Obliviax
I understand why people are against it but I really don't see the issue. Is the HC keeping players he doesn't want in the program really a good thing for them?

I do agree though--this is going to be the new requirement because stating "you're building a program" isn't going to fly with the portal being available to rebuild the team immediately. Not sure if that's good or bad honestly (i see pros and cons) but it's going to be college football moving forward.
Yep...fair. For traditionalists, it is just further erosion of the amateur student/athlete model.

Reactions: LandoComando

How many coaches have the name recognition to do what Deion did though? It's one thing to clear out the dead weight on a 1-11 roster, but if the replacements are only different rather than better then will it make much difference? Deion got a 5* to play for him at HBCU.

Take Pry at VT for example. Does anyone think he could have shed 60 some players and replaced them with 60 some that are better?

Perhaps a mid major coach moving up could do something similar (take his best players from the mid major with him), but I don't know that it's going to be a sustainable model going forward for every coach. Sounds like even higher turnover for coaches that are being turned over quick, at times, already.

How many coaches have the name recognition to do what Deion did though? It's one thing to clear out the dead weight on a 1-11 roster, but if the replacements are only different rather than better then will it make much difference? Deion got a 5* to play for him at HBCU.

Take Pry at VT for example. Does anyone think he could have shed 60 some players and replaced them with 60 some that are better?

Perhaps a mid major coach moving up could do something similar (take his best players from the mid major with him), but I don't know that it's going to be a sustainable model going forward for every coach. Sounds like even higher turnover for coaches that are being turned over quick, at times, already.
Valid points. I don't think Pry would have been able to do what Prime did. That wouldn't be realistic but he should be expected to use the portal to improve the team. Someone like Rhule who won at Baylor and coached in the NFL should be expected to win immediately.

I do agree it's not going to be possible to run off 60 people at most schools but they need to make smart decisions about who they keep and who they add.

I do think turnover will be higher because of it. Not sure if that's good or bad but time will tell. I think some coaches get too long already and some dont get enough time so it will be interesting to analyze specific jobs and decisions.

Reactions: lazydave841

Deion has the #1 QB in 2025 coming in for a visit this weekend. Bryce Underwood's dad has said that it was surreal talking with him because he was a corner and used to imagine himself being Deion Sanders.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT