ADVERTISEMENT

Trace McSorley's team

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
There, I said it. There has been a lot on here about the blocking or lack thereof with Gesicki and the O-line. It's a natural reaction to the dismal running attack. Maybe it is meant to be. The offense is designed for Trace. Unlike SB, he has the option of handing off, running or launching it to a large cast that includes SB and Gesicki. Maybe I'm reaching here, but it sure seems that way to me.

I've thought about this a time or two as well... he has to decide whether to keep the ball and get blasted 5 yards behind the LOS or give it to Barkley and let him deal with it. Also, I'm not enough of a technician when it comes to football analysis so I don't know whether Trace holds the ball longer than other RPO quarterbacks. This could have a profound negative impact on the effectiveness of the run game.

shhh...

PastComfortableBlackmamba.gif

There, I said it. There has been a lot on here about the blocking or lack thereof with Gesicki and the O-line. It's a natural reaction to the dismal running attack. Maybe it is meant to be. The offense is designed for Trace. Unlike SB, he has the option of handing off, running or launching it to a large cast that includes SB and Gesicki. Maybe I'm reaching here, but it sure seems that way to me.
The offense is built around taking what the QB sees as the best option. I think having a generation back made them lean more to run then they needed to at times. Even more so when you see guys just flocking to 26. I don't think I can remember where pre pitch on an option and the outside mad doesn't even look at the QB, but tackles the RB. I get it, who is going to go 60 yards....26 or 9? Barkley at times takes 2-3 defenders or more....it's almost a gimme to get others involved more and they have had to.

The offense is built around taking what the QB sees as the best option. I think having a generation back made them lean more to run then they needed to at times. Even more so when you see guys just flocking to 26. I don't think I can remember where pre pitch on an option and the outside mad doesn't even look at the QB, but tackles the RB. I get it, who is going to go 60 yards....26 or 9? Barkley at times takes 2-3 defenders or more....it's almost a gimme to get others involved more and they have had to.

And McSorley has tons of short pass receivers wide open (all of which have big play after the catch capability) and his execution in this circumstance has been very poor at some points....

He's good. Not yet great. He has a shot at great....
You can say whatever you need to, he's great. He just wins games and is a great leader. I don't care how tall he isn't or how far he can throw the ball. That dude can play football and has far exceeded most expectations. You up in the stands seeing the check down that I see pro QB's miss too as they are also looking downfield doesn't mean he's not great. I usually just shake my head at those guys in the stands yelling as they don't seem to grasp the rush in the face and where the play may have started off at....but hey...you hold on to this like you have something there. I have seen a ton of HOF QB's miss the short read and throw picks or force balls. Guess what, they still win more than they lose.

Last edited:
You can say whatever you need to, he's great. He just wins games and is a great leader. I don't care how tall he isn't or how far he can throw the ball. That dude can play football and has far exceeded most expectations. You up in the stands seeing the check down that I see pro QB's miss too as they are also looking downfield doesn't mean he's not great. I usually just shake my head at those guys in the stands yelling as they don't seem to grasp the rush in the face and where the play may have started off at....but hey...you hold on to this like you have something there. I have seen a ton of HOF QB's miss the short read and throw picks or force balls. Guess what, they still win more than they lose.

You can babble like a school girl with a crush. It will not phase me. I reserve the word great for people that accomplish great feats and records. I have acknowledged that McSorley, with improvement, can be great. For now, he is good with a bit of to work on. I hope, if he does not ask you to the prom that you don't turn on him. Time will tell if he earns greatness.

You can babble like a school girl with a crush. It will not phase me. I reserve the word great for people that accomplish great feats and records. I have acknowledged that McSorley, with improvement, can be great. For now, he is good with a bit of to work on. I hope, if he does not ask you to the prom that you don't turn on him. Time will tell if he earns greatness.
BT title already and he will crush the record books. Keep trying though, you're not good at this. Just named a finalist for the Unitas award. All conference last year and will be this year. Hell you're making me respect him even more.

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
BT title already and he will crush the record books. Keep trying, you're not good at this. Just named a finalist for the Unitas award. All conference last year and will be this year.

Keep babbling, you are good at that. He is simply not yet great. You site one game... terrific argument. By his own admission, he screwed the pooch against USC and Michigan State and he crumbled against OSU. He was great in the end of the IOWA game but he sucked in 3/4 of the first half of every game this season in the short passing game on the roll out. Got it. I really like McSorley but great... I thank God he has perspective.

BT title already and he will crush the record books. Keep trying though, you're not good at this. Just named a finalist for the Unitas award. All conference last year and will be this year. Hell you're making me respect him even more.

I don't know why some of our so called fans enjoy taking cheap shots at players who
are trying their best to make PSU a winner. I'm sure most of them have accomplished little in their lives.
McSorely has done much for PSU but because he hasn't been perfect these losers feel the need
to criticize him. They should be ashamed.

I don't know why some of our so called fans enjoy taking cheap shots at players who
are trying their best to make PSU a winner. I'm sure most of them have accomplished little in their lives.
McSorely has done much for PSU but because he hasn't been perfect these losers feel the need

So pathetic and low to pull out the whiney pussy critical fan you can't understand card. this is nor elementary school soccer with participation awards. Calling someone a Good Qb is a compliment Jack. Callinsg someone great because they are on the Unitas watch list is way overboard. Why?

Are all these guys Great?
J. T. Barrett, Ohio State
David Blough, Purdue
Jesse Ertz, Kansas State
Luke Falk, Washington State
Riley Ferguson, Memphis
Ryan Finley, NC State
Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi St.
Quinton Flowers, South Florida
Justice Hansen, Arkansas St.
Kenny Hill, TCU
Stephen Johnson, Kentucky
Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
Trace McSorley, Penn St.
Josh Rosen, UCLA
Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State
Brandon Silvers, Troy
Nick Stevens, Colorado St.
Clayton Thorson, Northwestern
Mike White, Western Ky.
Logan Woodside, Toledo

If so. then what the Hell is great?

Jesus what crybabies.

Reactions: psu2016
So pathetic and low to pull out the whiney pussy critical fan you can't understand card. this is nor elementary school soccer with participation awards. Calling someone a Good Qb is a compliment Jack. Callinsg someone great because they are on the Unitas watch list is way overboard. Why?

Are all these guys Great?
J. T. Barrett, Ohio State
David Blough, Purdue
Jesse Ertz, Kansas State
Luke Falk, Washington State
Riley Ferguson, Memphis
Ryan Finley, NC State
Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi St.
Quinton Flowers, South Florida
Justice Hansen, Arkansas St.
Kenny Hill, TCU
Stephen Johnson, Kentucky
Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
Trace McSorley, Penn St.
Josh Rosen, UCLA
Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State
Brandon Silvers, Troy
Nick Stevens, Colorado St.
Clayton Thorson, Northwestern
Mike White, Western Ky.
Logan Woodside, Toledo

If so. then what the Hell is great?

Jesus what crybabies.

I understand you are a loser that doesn't understand the irony of calling someone else a crybaby.

Keep babbling, you are good at that. He is simply not yet great. You site one game... terrific argument. By his own admission, he screwed the pooch against USC and Michigan State and he crumbled against OSU. He was great in the end of the IOWA game but he sucked in 3/4 of the first half of every game this season in the short passing game on the roll out. Got it. I really like McSorley but great... I thank God he has perspective.
He's great and will go out that way. Good call on bringing up the Iowa game where he won on the final play. He is 1-1 versus UM and OSU. Looking at a second straight 10 win season. You really do suck at this. Practice or something. I mean it, maybe try another topic?

Last edited:
I've thought about this a time or two as well... he has to decide whether to keep the ball and get blasted 5 yards behind the LOS or give it to Barkley and let him deal with it. Also, I'm not enough of a technician when it comes to football analysis so I don't know whether Trace holds the ball longer than other RPO quarterbacks. This could have a profound negative impact on the effectiveness of the run game.
I had a chance, walking down a ramp, to ask Coach Franklin about the mesh point. I asked if the exchange was too slow, and if that was allowing defensive players to arrive at that point as the exchange was being made. He replied, " we are working on speeding that up."
Take it for what it's worth.

Great leader--okay
Great QB--absolutely not

The meaning of great is pretty subjective so reasonable folks can disagree. That said, if a 6’4” 5 star recruit did exactly what TM has done for us on the field (same throws, same stats, same results, etc.), I suspect the number of fans who considered him to be great would be much higher.

He, as a junior, has already broken just about every major record of any PSU QB in history...but he is just "good"...OK sounds reasonable....so does Communism (on paper).

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha........ Ya he has broken every record at PSU ..... QB U. Pretty Funny stuff..... short fuse. As I have said, He is very good. He needs improvement to be considered a Great College QB. He is a Great PSU QB because we have about 4 of those. But not in all of College. I am amazed how sensitive you girls are..... Oh, the agony this has caused by calling someone very good with the chance of improving to college greatness..... what is it like to be pitiful?

The meaning of great is pretty subjective so reasonable folks can disagree. That said, if a 6’4” 5 star recruit did exactly what TM has done for us on the field (same throws, same stats, same results, etc.), I suspect the number of fans who considered him to be great would be much higher.

You just described Hack and Anthony Morelli, and they were not even a good QBs. Great is a word reserved for a very few to me. Great in what context? What was stated is McSorley is a great College qb. That to me means in all college history to date. He has started for a 1 and 3/4 seasons. He is not yet, one of the all time great college qbs. His career isn't even over. He is right now among the best college QBs this season. Stating that he is very good and has the chance to be great has brought out an incredible amount of wild off the wall defensive reactions here. If the kid cleans up his short game and early concentration issues he could end up one of the greatest college football qbs. He has the remainder of this season, off season and all of next year to accomplish that status. I say let he and his coaches work on his weak points and let's watch. I know that is extreme thinking to some here, but I think it coincides with McSorley's thinking as well as that of his coaches. He is a hard worker and greatness is in his reach with just a touch of poise and finesse. I hope those harsh words are not too caustic for some here. lol

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha........ Ya he has broken every record at PSU ..... QB U. Pretty Funny stuff..... short fuse. As I have said, He is very good. He needs improvement to be considered a Great College QB. He is a Great PSU QB because we have about 4 of those. But not in all of College. I am amazed how sensitive you girls are..... Oh, the agony this has caused by calling someone very good with the chance of improving to college greatness..... what is it like to be pitiful?

Actually you stated over and over and over in this thread that he was good...glad to see you've upgraded him to very good.

Good post. If you only criticism which is so GD vague and just one big cliche of...he's missing the underneath throws sometimes, you aren't saying anything other than...he didn't win back to back Big Ten titles or a MNC so he's not great. Yet he is on pace for back to back 10+ win seasons while destroying the record books and may be back again next year. No such thing as a perfect QB, even the great ones missed throws, check downs, and had bad games. That is the absuridity and stupidity in these conversations. He has brought up his completion percentage this year, has run for more TD's, and is managing the game fairly well. He is about 3 minutes and a pass rush away from being 10-0 right now.

I have seen Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rodgers all look like dog piss in person. They were rushed, missed throws, and destroyed in some games....it happens. For what Trace has, he's been more than just fine. I remember people making the dumb claims that Manning can't win big games like somehow he alone had that power. I'm not one of those idiots that judges college QB's on how they translate into a combine or playing on Sundays. There have been tons of GREAT college QB's that were system driven. If you can't respect what this guy is doing, that is on that person.

Actually you stated over and over and over in this thread that he was good...glad to see you've upgraded him to very good.

I just did that to relieve the outrage, agony, wailing and moaning..... t'was making this board look like the Pitt Board.

You just described Hack and Anthony Morelli, and they were not even a good QBs. Great is a word reserved for a very few to me. Great in what context? What was stated is McSorley is a great College qb. That to me means in all college history to date. He has started for a 1 and 3/4 seasons. He is not yet, one of the all time great college qbs. His career isn't even over. He is right now among the best college QBs this season. Stating that he is very good and has the chance to be great has brought out an incredible amount of wild off the wall defensive reactions here. If the kid cleans up his short game and early concentration issues he could end up one of the greatest college football qbs. He has the remainder of this season, off season and all of next year to accomplish that status. I say let he and his coaches work on his weak points and let's watch. I know that is extreme thinking to some here, but I think it coincides with McSorley's thinking as well as that of his coaches. He is a hard worker and greatness is in his reach with just a touch of poise and finesse. I hope those harsh words are not too caustic for some here. lol

Without Trace this year, we would be 500.

of course to us Trace is great. I can remember one great PSU Q --- Kerry Collins. IMO, he still has a ways to grow and can get a lot better for us.

Reactions: JJTopp99

My worst mistake was giving you any attention...I take the blame on this one...you can now go back to your superior knowledge of....??????

McSorley has done much for PSU but because he hasn't been perfect these losers feel the need

FTFY

of course to us Trace is great. I can remember one great PSU Q --- Kerry Collins. IMO, he still has a ways to grow and can get a lot better for us.
And I remember hearing about his poor mechanics that he would need to work on in the NFL (which he did). So he was great even with areas that needed improvement...hmm, I guess you can have both.

Mehhhhjhh. This is a PSU football forum. We can criticize the players all we want. Losers? Ashamed? Really?
This is what a football forum is for, to critize or praise the team how anybody sees it.

Blows my mind when I see posts like this.
Get off your high horse Mr. Osprey

Kerry was off the charts good his senior year. He played well about the last half of his junior year. McSorley probably can't come close to Collins' ceiling....but he has had a longer career of very good play. Of course, some of that for Collins is due to injury (thumb injury from playing volleyball, iirc).

what is interesting TM could go to the NFL as a graduating senior - have his degree this year. he dosn't need to come back for 5th year and i wouldnt assume he does. i think he is participating in senior day per Phil. he has the tools to be an NFL QB - he is better than McGloin who hung around 3-4 years as a backup. he is far better than Hack, who actually got drafted as a true JR in the 2nd round. I think if he played his soph year instead of Hack, we would have won +2 games. his lack of sacks was one of 3-4 key reasons for the 2016 turnaround.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT