ADVERTISEMENT

Toughness

Safety Blitz

Jan 4, 2002
Lots of blame to spread around today. Coaches. Players. Play calling. Schemes.
Bottom line for me is this team lacks toughness. Mental toughness and physical toughness.
Good teams win with toughness. They will line up and smash-mouth to get that first down to run out the clock. They will get the needed 3-and-out on D to slam the door. They have maulers on the O line, big hitters on the D line and at LB. And playmakers who say “give me the damn ball” at crunch time.
I see very little of that on this PSU team. Was anyone confident PSU could run out the clock in the final minutes?
Was anyone confident PSU would stop Sparty on that game-winning drive?
Did anyone have those same thoughts in the fourth quarter against OSU?
These players play without toughness. These coaches coach without toughness. I don’t believe anything will change until this gets fixed.
I’m not talking about acting tough or talking tough. Just playing and coaching with some toughness.

We need to hire an offensive coordinator who can run the football under center, and we need to recruit fullback type players. We need a fullback.

Reactions: YorkLion
We also need to try a different right side tackle as Fries is not cutting it. Why not try Big Bacon again. Fries struggles every game from what I see. We also appear to get pushed back into the backfield by D linemen. Methinks our OL ain't all that.

We also need to try a different right side tackle as Fries is not cutting it. Why not try Big Bacon again. Fries struggles every game from what I see. We also appear to get pushed back into the backfield by D linemen. Methinks our OL ain't all that.
Fries and McGovern struggled all day yet when we need to get a 1st down they run to the right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT