ADVERTISEMENT

Top Ten Penn State Wrestlers

When you're looking for what separates four time finalists from other four time finalists and three time finalists from other three time finalists, it gets very subjective. For me, it's tough to look at opponents for that separation. Dake and Stieber, for example, wouldn't have been four-timers if DT and Zain had beaten them. IMAR would have been a four-timer had Joseph not beaten him. So that means Joseph should be penalized for keeping IMAR from being a four-timer? That doesn't make sense. Valencia would have been a 3-timer (unable to go for four) if Hall hadn't beaten him. So Hall gets penalized for that win? That doesn't make sense.

I don't mean to knock anyone down at all but as great as Dake was and now is, he had more collegiate losses than half the guys on our own list. After he won his 4th (and especially now) I appreciate how incredible he is, but at the time, I didn't see him as some unbeatable force. I probably held IMAR and Valencia and Steveson in higher regard at equal points of their careers.

When you're looking for what separates four time finalists from other four time finalists and three time finalists from other three time finalists, it gets very subjective. For me, it's tough to look at opponents for that separation. Dake and Stieber, for example, wouldn't have been four-timers if DT and Zain had beaten them. IMAR would have been a four-timer had Joseph not beaten him. So that means Joseph should be penalized for keeping IMAR from being a four-timer? That doesn't make sense. Valencia would have been a 3-timer (unable to go for four) if Hall hadn't beaten him. So Hall gets penalized for that win? That doesn't make sense.

I don't mean to knock anyone down at all but as great as Dake was and now is, he had more collegiate losses than half the guys on our own list. After he won his 4th (and especially now) I appreciate how incredible he is, but at the time, I didn't see him as some unbeatable force. I probably held IMAR and Valencia and Steveson in higher regard at equal points of their careers.
Great points, and you are absolutely correct about Dake.. during his career I never viewed him as untouchable.. I guess partially bc he never bonuses the way DT did... it always felt like Dake can lose in a season..but credit to him, he always got it done when it mattered the most.

Last edited:
Pick your order. I like 'em all...

Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nolf, Nickal
Ruth, Retherford, Nolf Nickal, Taylor
Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, Taylor, Ruth
Nolf, Nickal, Taylor, Ruth, Retherford
Nickal, Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nolf
Ruth, Taylor, Retherford, Nolf, Nickal
Taylor, Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, Ruth
Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, Ruth, Taylor
Nolf, Nickal, Ruth, Taylor, Retherford
Nickal, Ruth, Taylor, Retherford, Nolf
Retherford, Taylor, Ruth, Nolf, Nickal
Taylor, Ruth, Nolf, Nickal, Retherford
Ruth, Nolf, Nickal, Retherford, Taylor
Nolf, Nickal, Retherford, Taylor, Ruth
Nickal, Retherford, Taylor, Ruth, Nolf
Nolf, Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nickal
Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nickal, Nolf
Ruth, Retherford, Nickal, Nolf, Taylor
Retherford, Nickal, Nolf, Taylor, Ruth
Nickal, Nolf, Taylor, Ruth, Retherford

...plus another 100 or so iterations, take your pick :) .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT