ADVERTISEMENT

Top ten favorite PSU wrestlers

mikereid-2jpg-6693e23f04b35863.jpg

I have to include Penn State legend Mike Reid in my Top Ten.
I'll also include RIch Lorenzo for his overall contribution to Penn State Wrestling.
The rest of my list (I cheated by grouping to squeeze in more names):
  • Andy Matter: Bo/Jason before they were born
  • James Yonushonis/English: true grit
  • DT/Ed: together they raised the bar
  • Phil Davis/Kerry McCoy/Tank/Nico/Q: total commitment
  • Morgan McIntosh/Matt Brown: whatever the team needed
  • Zain: No one has been that dominant in every position
  • Bo/Jason: Breathtaking
  • Hall/Joseph and many more to come: apprentices in greatness

Last edited:
I think it might be a good suggestion to break it down by weight

1. Jimmy Martin
2. Danny Mayo
3. Russ/John Hughes
4. Kerry McCoy
5. Jeff Prescott
6. Frank Molinaro
7. Quentin Wright
8. David Taylor
9. Troy Sunderland
10. Nico Megaludis

I didn't include anyone from the current roster

1. Eric Bradley
2. Phil Davis
3. Ed Ruth
4. Jake Strayer
5. Yoshi
6.Molinaro
7.Brown
8. Kerry Mccoy
9. Gulibon
10. Joel Edwards

It is really tough to compare the newer guys to the older guys, as styles have changed. I'll keep my list to the Cael era. These are my favorites to watch, not, necessarily who I think is most skilled.

1. Jason Nolf
2. David Taylor
3. Ed Ruth
4. Zain Retherford
5. Bo Nickal
6. Quentin Wright
7. Nico Megaludis
8. Frank Molinaro
9. Matt Brown
10. Tie - Vincenzo Joseph & Mark Hall

Since the late 90s teams seem to have been not mentioned I will add

Clint Musser (NCAA champ if it wasn't for Casey)
Glenn Pritzlaff
Jon Lange (lost in 1st round at 98 NCAAs and won 7 straight for 3rd place)

Many great names have been mentioned many times, so I won't repeat all the obvious ones. But one name that has barely showed up, that is a recent wrestler that I LOVED to watch wrestle was Andrew Alton. The gas tank issues for whatever reason (and I'm not opening up that discussion again) plus injuries kept him back. But boy, was he fun to watch. Even when he gassed terribly at the end against Grajales, most of that match including most of the 3rd period, was really fun to watch. When he was a FR there was electricity in the air when he took the mat. I remember his 1st period fall over a highly ranked Lehigh recruit in his first match in Rec Hall--the fans went absolutely wild! (That was back when you didn't have to have a season ticket to get in to Rec Hall).

Since the late 90s teams seem to have been not mentioned I will add

Clint Musser (NCAA champ if it wasn't for Casey)
Glenn Pritzlaff
Jon Lange (lost in 1st round at 98 NCAAs and won 7 straight for 3rd place)
Those 3 guys were part of one of PSU's greatest recruiting classes of all time. I believe it had 3 or 4 guys that were #1 in the nation at their weight in HS. I believe Lange was only ranked 3rd coming out of HS, but there was a lightweight from Ohio who was also #1 in the country at his weight.

Didn't see Scott Lynch mentioned. He was an AA that I wasn't sure could win it all, but he did

I'm afraid my list would be over 100 names ... I couldn't put 10 on a list, I'd be erasing a name, adding a name, erasing a name, adding a name ...

Great POST whoever started this thread
--- and mega props to the dude who remembered Lange's 7 straight for 3rd!!

Many great names have been mentioned many times, so I won't repeat all the obvious ones. But one name that has barely showed up, that is a recent wrestler that I LOVED to watch wrestle was Andrew Alton. The gas tank issues for whatever reason (and I'm not opening up that discussion again) plus injuries kept him back. But boy, was he fun to watch. Even when he gassed terribly at the end against Grajales, most of that match including most of the 3rd period, was really fun to watch. When he was a FR there was electricity in the air when he took the mat. I remember his 1st period fall over a highly ranked Lehigh recruit in his first match in Rec Hall--the fans went absolutely wild! (That was back when you didn't have to have a season ticket to get in to Rec Hall).

Andrew Alton was my favorite to watch. Should have been a multiple time NC in my eyes. Funny story back when he was in HS. I was talking to a few kids right after team states from the one team. I mentioned like man what if these two kids wrestled what a match it would be. And they chuckled and said Alton decked him real quick in the off season!! I was like really? Wow that’s crazy. Now granted I was just getting back into wrestling cause my nephews were wrestlers so I started paying more attention. And the one kid looks at me real serious and says “only one who can beat Alton is an Alton”!!! I will never forget that.

Reactions: tomsc
Jeff Prescott - one mean SOB!!

Jim Martin - all class

Jordan Conaway - good old kid

Zain Retherford - the ideal wrestler, IMO!!

James English - hero!

Frank Molinaro - TANK!

Jason Nolf - FUN!

Mark Hall - swagger!

Quentin Wright - Wish he could wrestle Bo!!

Steve Sefter (once dated a relative of mine, although Steve was probably a much nicer person than her, LOL)

Honorable mention: Wade Schalles. Should have been a Nittany Lion

Andrew Alton was my favorite to watch. Should have been a multiple time NC in my eyes. Funny story back when he was in HS. I was talking to a few kids right after team states from the one team. I mentioned like man what if these two kids wrestled what a match it would be. And they chuckled and said Alton decked him real quick in the off season!! I was like really? Wow that’s crazy. Now granted I was just getting back into wrestling cause my nephews were wrestlers so I started paying more attention. And the one kid looks at me real serious and says “only one who can beat Alton is an Alton”!!! I will never forget that.
That may be true. Inability to manage their weight with any regular discipline put a beating on their gas tanks. Especially Andrew's.

Jim Martin - all class

James English - hero!

Frank Molinaro - TANK!

Jason Nolf - FUN!

Mark Hall - swagger!

Steve Sefter (once dated a relative of mine, although Steve was probably a much nicer person than her, LOL)

Honorable mention: Wade Schalles. Should have been a Nittany Lion
The fact that he wasn't certainly pissed Bill Koll off. According to Bill he only ever ask for one academic exemption, and the sonsofbytches said no.

Supposedly Lock Haven not granting Wade academic admission is the reason Gray Simons left Lick Haven.

Jim Martin - all class

James English - hero!

Frank Molinaro - TANK!

Jason Nolf - FUN!

Mark Hall - swagger!

Honorable mention: Wade Schalles. Should have been a Nittany Lion[/QUOTE]
Schalles told a group of us at NCAA's one time that he wanted to go to PSU but his grades were too good!!

The ten wrestlers at the first match I ever attended. Already hooked, as my family has wrestling history, but this and everything that's followed has cemented my passion...

Two guys I see on a regular basis, one has passed, and lost track of the others.

Weight PSU Wrestler Opponent Result
118 Wayne Packer Bissell T 3-3
126 John Fritz Milkovich, P. T 1-1
134 Jim Earl Brighton L 1-4
142 Dennis Sciabica Rodgers W 2-0
150 Al Fisher Rodriguez LBF 5:31
158 Dave Becker Greene W 4-3
167 Jerry Villecco Williams WBF 1:53
177 Dan Brenneman Hersha LSD 2-12
190 Jerry White Wickard LSD 6-6
UNL B. Boehmer Avery LBF 4:51

The ten wrestlers at the first match I ever attended. Already hooked, as my family has wrestling history, but this and everything that's followed has cemented my passion...

Two guys I see on a regular basis, one has passed, and lost track of the others.

Roar--must have been 1975. The Fritz-Milkovich match was a preview of the NCAA finals. I ALMOST went to the NCAA finals that year in Princeton (I was in Phila), but thought I had too much studying to do, and turned down my brother's proposal to go. I heard that both Fritz and Milkovich got a long standing ovation after that match. I've regretted it ever since!!!

Roar--must have been 1975. The Fritz-Milkovich match was a preview of the NCAA finals. I ALMOST went to the NCAA finals that year in Princeton (I was in Phila), but thought I had too much studying to do, and turned down my brother's proposal to go. I heard that both Fritz and Milkovich got a long standing ovation after that match. I've regretted it ever since!!!
Quentin Wright flies under the radar too much. I could watch him wrestle all day

Yes, 1974-75 season. That match was early in the season, so late 1974.

1. Nolf
  2. DT
  3. Zain
  4. Bo
  5. Ruth
  6. Kolat
  7. Q
  8. Davis
  9. Hall
  10. Vince Fitz -wrestled for PSU in the mid to late 60's. Legendary High School coach in my area, and still coaches in the youth ranks. I had the opportunity to wrestle for him, and he's coached my son some at youth practices. Great guy, and was pretty darned good at PSU. Wanna say around 38-11 with a dozen or so pins. They didn't wrestle nearly as many matches back then.

Should've been a 3 timer. Never forget the standing cradle................Smack deserves a mention (another under the radar guy).
He comes up to mat town to help coach the kids sometimes .Man is a class act .should be coaching somewhere that's what role models are supposed to be like.

Reactions: TangSoo
Won't even try to pick a top 10 but will mention one that probably won't get mentioned by anyone not my age or older. Andy Matter, Penn State's first 2x champ. In recent years I really enjoyed watching Phil Davis destroy people on the mat and the way he would bait them to get too high when he was on the bottom.
I have mention Andy also, not just because he was a 2 time champ but also he gave us in South Jersey Clint & Brett who provided us with a lot to appreciate!
Nolf
Nickal
DT
Ruth
Nico
Q
Kolat
Martin
Hall
VJ

1. Nolf
  2. DT
  3. Zain
  4. Bo
  5. Ruth
  6. Kolat
  7. Q
  8. Davis
  9. Hall
  10. Vince Fitz -wrestled for PSU in the mid to late 60's. Legendary High School coach in my area, and still coaches in the youth ranks. I had the opportunity to wrestle for him, and he's coached my son some at youth practices. Great guy, and was pretty darned good at PSU. Wanna say around 38-11 with a dozen or so pins. They didn't wrestle nearly as many matches back then.
Vince Fitz--don't think too many on this board will probably know that name. He was on the team when I first started following PSU wrestling as a SCHS student. He wrestled with a certain swagger that created a lot of excitement every time he stepped on the mat. Very fun to watch!

Reactions: funkisfun12
These lists are actually cracking me up. The number of them that are more than ten. And one even named Schalles because he should have been a Nittany Lion.

James English
Jim Vollrath
Eric Brugel
Greg Elinski
John Fritz
Adam Lynch
Dan Vallimont
Carl Destefanis
Paulie Wiegardner
Brad Pataky
And....my #11 as who should have been a NL Rob Koll.

Of course these are all friends so....

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

RIP Denny Sciabica. Introduced a group of kids to 'snipe hunting' right around that time :).

Michigan State had a wrestling team.
I forgot about Packer.

Pretty sure that pawrestling was joking, as districtfour picked up on. But I think there could be some relatively newer fans that might not have realized what a long history PSU has of great wrestling. It's true, we've never seen anything like what we've had in the past 7 years--but boy, we've had a lot of great wrestlers go through PSU over the years. Just saying the same thing as pawrestling and districtfour, but in my own way!

Reactions: papa_ed
Pretty sure that pawrestling was joking, as districtfour picked up on. But I think there could be some relatively newer fans that might not have realized what a long history PSU has of great wrestling. It's true, we've never seen anything like what we've had in the past 7 years--but boy, we've had a lot of great wrestlers go through PSU over the years. Just saying the same thing as pawrestling and districtfour, but in my own way!
Makes me wonder what happened to some of those greats .Never did a whole lot in college. I remember line mountain putting out studs every year and they were just a small school .Or some of the BEN kids who were a nightmare to wrestle

Makes me wonder what happened to some of those greats .Never did a whole lot in college. I remember line mountain putting out studs every year and they were just a small school .Or some of the BEN kids who were a nightmare to wrestle
Biggest disappointment was Jason betz who came out of high school a 3x state champion. Took third at stars and ended up with only one loss .Never did much at Penn State. What a beast he was in high school

Biggest disappointment was Jason betz who came out of high school a 3x state champion. Took third at stars and ended up with only one loss .Never did much at Penn State. What a beast he was in high school
Supposed to say states. Damn spell check

It is really tough to compare the newer guys to the older guys, as styles have changed. I'll keep my list to the Cael era.
1. Jason Nolf
2. David Taylor
3. Ed Ruth
4. Zain Retherford
5. Bo Nickal
6. Quentin Wright
7. Nico Megaludis
8. Frank Molinaro
9. Matt Brown
10. Tie - Vincenzo Joseph & Mark Hall

That’s pretty much my top 10.

Was anyone in the building at Rec the night that Kolat (true freshman) sent Bill Zadick for a ride and got the fall against a tough Hawkeye squad??? Man I thought the roof was gonna blow off of that place!

Also, never forget my first PSU match, wrestled some nobody on a Wednesday night, but saw the legend himself Jeff Prescott, literally spinning circles around his opponent, it was awesome! Man, it's hard to narrow it down to just 10, we've had some great ones!!!

Also, my personal favs, the Hughes boys, absolute studs!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT