ADVERTISEMENT

Top Recruits

Junglekitty

Feb 15, 2018
Hey guys, new to posting on this board but have been a follower for years now.

Simple question;

With one of the best recruiting classes coming in next season with the likes of teasedale, teske, snacks, rby, beard, and now brooks ( sorry if I missed anyone ). What are we looking for next?

Obviously the first name that comes to my mind is Kurt McHenry. Anyone know his status on final schools or interest in joining?

Any other names anyone can think of that graduate in 18 or 19 I committed that we may try to snag?

Simple question;

With one of the best recruiting classes coming in next season with the likes of teasedale, teske, snacks, rby, beard, and now brooks ( sorry if I missed anyone ). What are we looking for next?

Obviously the first name that comes to my mind is Kurt McHenry. Anyone know his status on final schools or interest in joining?

Any other names anyone can think of that graduate in 18 or 19 I committed that we may try to snag?

The standard answer is to check Dicemen's "Spreadsheet " posted above. Welcome aboard .

Reactions: drew16
McHenry and Starocci are the two on my “must gets”. McHenry is a 125, Busiello is a 141 in three years and Starocci is 165. Already have Brooks (184) and Beard (197) greyshirting and enrolling in 2019/2020. Wish they could get ERuth in... at 174. Waiting for Carson Manville down the road.

I believe at a tournament earlier this year McHenry weighed in at 108.2 pounds. He is currently a junior, I would not be surprised if he takes a year at the OTC after high school and then redshirts his first year of college to get bigger. Definitely a career 125.

I believe this past weekend he won his conference tournament wrestling 120.

Simple question;

Joe Lee also in that class.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Carter Starocci, Erie Prep 160 (2019). Last year was PA runner-up + Fargo double champ. Was on the sidelines for the Michigan game, and Cael has been to Erie. Hall's eventual successor at 174 if he chooses PSU.

Is it safe to assume Cael has similar interest in McHenry?

Absolutely, although many coaches may not pursue a particular wrestler if they figure their chances of getting him are slim. :D
Right, if you aren't a big dog (anymore) save your recruiting time and money until after the big dogs eat!!!

Reactions: 7-Pointer
Highly suspect young Mr. McHenry is on Penn State coaches radar.

I find recruiting is an interesting topic. No school has unlimited resources ($$$'s, time), so that coaches can go wherever they want, whenever they want, to see a HS wrestler and his parents.

E-mails, texts, phone calls are frequent, but nothing like being face-to-face.

So what is "interest"? Watching a tape of a HS kid, and making a phone call to gauge interest from him and his family? Coaches catching a HS wrestlers match or tournament unannounced or announced, then meeting with the wrestler and/or family? And on and on.

My guess is that every coach has interest in every blue-chipper, at least philosophically, but that the wrestler and his family quickly whittle down the number of schools. Maybe its geography driven, maybe it's academics, friends on the team, wrestling style, chemistry with the coach, scholarships (though that's closer to the end), and other factors.

Sure is a stressful time for many, or most of these high school kids.

Adding to Roar's comments: coaches are also constrained by total roster size, which varies by school and year, typically around 37 for PSU.

For 2018, I suspect we're done except maybe depth. Never say never, Verk dropped in our laps 2 mo later than this time last year ... but more would be unlikely.

For 2019: with Busiello and Brooks committed, there are no immediate lineup concerns -- no starting spots that absolutely must be filled now dammit (with or without shirts).

Thus, Cael can pursue only luxury recruits, and only at select weights. (No need for 2019 HWT Schultz with Snacks on board.) 125 and 174 are the weights where this makes sense today. And even then: Teske and Manville could hold down those weights.

So I suspect he's down to McHenry, Starocci, and depth -- esp HWT depth. He might keep other doors open (say, Colaiocco if McHenry falls thru), someone else might emerge, and Cael has a plan. But the roster will be loaded either way, with strong competition at many weights.

Highly suspect young Mr. McHenry is on Penn State coaches radar.

I find recruiting is an interesting topic. No school has unlimited resources ($$$'s, time), so that coaches can go wherever they want, whenever they want, to see a HS wrestler and his parents.

E-mails, texts, phone calls are frequent, but nothing like being face-to-face.

So what is "interest"? Watching a tape of a HS kid, and making a phone call to gauge interest from him and his family?

Hang up ..... I've got Cael Sanderson on the line :)

Highly suspect young Mr. McHenry is on Penn State coaches radar./QUOTE]

just highlighting roars post for those guys that dont live on here or are new to the board. He was on campus and attended at least one PSU football game this past fall that we know of publicly (courtesy of twitter). I would think hes been around the staff more than that singular event :cool:

Seen Starocci wrestle Nijenhuis this past weekend at states. Rumor had it he had a pulled groin and he still looked good winning I believe 3-1. Would have liked to seen carter and sasso wrestle but strategy didn’t allow it.

Reactions: kevin310
I would not assume Iowa is recruiting anyone

Rumor has it that Iowa isn't actually doing any recruiting until at least 2019. TnT only recently came into possession of the 3" binder and learned about the mind boggling, cutting-edge recruiting techniques secreted therein. They want to fully crack the code before jumping back into active recruiting and these next level techniques take time to master.

ADVERTISEMENT