ADVERTISEMENT

Top Position

PSU210

Oct 20, 2019
We may not have the pinners like the past, who were generational talents, the ability to ride is something that the four champs are extremely proficient at and were on display. RBY has improved tremendously, especially how well he hooks the ankle and works the ride off of that. Nick Lee is punishing on top as we know. Brooks is a bear on top and Starocci might be the best of all before his time is done. While it isn't what we are used to in terms of "catch and release," I think it is vastly underrated how it has served these four to wear the opponent down.

RBY riding Fix for the entire 2nd period in the National Finals is for me the most impressive RIDE in PSU Wrestling History considering the moment and opponent.
RBY had to have been exhausted having wrestles 4 matches in the previous 2 days leading up to last nights final.

I can't remember a nittany lion wrestler riding an opponent for an entire period in an NCAA's final before last night. If it has happen I would like to know so to watch it on youtube.

Carter best Freshman rider maybe ever at PSU.

Last edited:
I'm a huge Zain fan and think he would agree with me on RBY. Steiber had the flu in the dual meet, lol, then beat Zain in the Big10 finals and NCAA's. RBY had to have been exhausted having wrestles 4 matches in the previous 2 days leading up to last nights final.

I can't remember a nittany lion wrestler riding an opponent for an entire period in an NCAA's final before last night. If it has happen I would like to know so to watch it on youtube.

Edit - I just watched the Zain vs. Steiber dual meet match and it was a brutal ride Zain imposed on him.
Yes it was and as a TRUE frosh.

IIRC Steiber never chose bottom again. Could be wrong.

Being able to ride effectively is the first essential step toward potentially becoming a pinner from the top. Without the ability to control your opponent before going for pinning combinations, you will give up lots of points you otherwise would not. Next step is for these guys to figure out what pinning combinations work best for them and perfect them. Would love to see some of these guys take the next step on top.

Reactions: nerfstate
They just need to watch Bo. Cradle everyone lol. I’ve seen a bunch of wrestlers get the cradle but can’t finish the match with it in college this year. How is it that every time Bo slapped it on they were going to their back. Damn he was insane.

Yeah, RBY is a better rider than he's given credit for and Starocci has great potential, but to consider their rides the best of all time is ignoring some brutal rides and riders like Molinaro, Retherford and on and on and on......

RBY riding Fix for the entire 2nd period in the National Finals is for me the most impressive RIDE in PSU Wrestling History considering the moment and opponent.

Carter best Freshman rider maybe ever at PSU.
Yep.
Might have been technically better rides (I’m not qualified to discuss or opine on that), I can’t remember one in such a high leverage situation.
I still can’t believe they hit him for a stall on it. I think a lot of what we think is bad officiating is just intimidated officiating.

Yep.
Might have been technically better rides (I’m not qualified to discuss or opine on that), I can’t remember one in such a high leverage situation.
I still can’t believe they hit him for a stall on it. I think a lot of what we think is bad officiating is just intimidated officiating.
IMHO intimidated officiating is bad officiating....

IMHO intimidated officiating is bad officiating....
100%
What I mean though is that a lot of people assume the officials are bad, couldn’t sit and justify the way they call a match that aligns with best practice. I’m sure they can. Then they get these guys yapping in their ears and it’s almost second nature to call the stall just to quiet Smith up

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT