ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Top moments in recent Penn State-Iowa history

I might put RBY getting Desanto to submit ahead of Zain beating Sorenson. Nobody thought RBY had a chance and he annihilated him.

Expanding the list . . . Every Joseph-Marinelli match.

Gulibon over Clark at BJC.

And maybe not within everyone’s definition of “recent”, but Q over Gambrall at Nationals. That one will always be “yesterday” to me.

And maybe not within everyone’s definition of “recent”, but Q over Gambrall at Nationals. That one will always be “yesterday” to me.
Gulibon over Clark was actually going to be No. 5 and is one of my personal favorites! Couldn’t find a good video though on YouTube and wanted to embed all that I could.

Gulibon over Clark was actually going to be No. 5 and is one of my personal favorites! Couldn’t find a good video though on YouTube and wanted to embed all that I could.
No worries…I figured availability of video might have had some bearing on things. That, and the PSU guy winning, of course.

Slushhead, thanks for mentioning Q over Gambrall. That was an iconic moment and arguably the start of the team's incredible stretch of national team titles. I love watching Cael and Casey's reaction, with Casey grabbing Cael's jacket and Cael on his knees getting ready to slap the mat. Great stuff! I just watched several of Quentin's NCAA tournament matches. He was such a fun wrestler to watch. I am still bummed that he lost to Bosak in the finals. I think the familiarity each had with the other hindered Q in that Q really slowed down his pace in that match. But the best thing about Quentin is as great of a wrestler as he was, he seems to be an even greater person. And I love this photo from his Twitter page. Beautiful family.
Quentin-Wright-and-his-family.jpg

Slushhead, thanks for mentioning Q over Gambrall. That was an iconic moment and arguably the start of the team's incredible stretch of national team titles. I love watching Cael and Casey's reaction, with Casey grabbing Cael's jacket and Cael on his knees getting ready to slap the mat. Great stuff! I just watched several of Quentin's NCAA tournament matches. He was such a fun wrestler to watch. I am still bummed that he lost to Bosak in the finals. I think the familiarity each had with the other hindered Q in that Q really slowed down his pace in that match. But the best thing about Quentin is as great of a wrestler as he was, he seems to be an even greater person. And I love this photo from his Twitter page. Beautiful family.
It was the watershed moment in my eyes, too. And while it is easy to say that with confidence in hindsight, I know at the time Q won that match, I felt something special was going to happen that weekend. And before we knew it, the dynasty was off and running.

I try not to let sports affect me too personally, but Q was one of the few that did. I still credit him with some of my best days in the gym, lol. Especially the day after he slayed Kilgore, going out The Champ after that crushing loss to Bosak the year prior. I think I was on an adrenaline high for 3 days.

It was the watershed moment in my eyes, too. And while it is easy to say that with confidence in hindsight, I know at the time Q won that match, I felt something special was going to happen that weekend. And before we knew it, the dynasty was off and running.

I try not to let sports affect me too personally, but Q was one of the few that did. I still credit him with some of my best days in the gym, lol. Especially the day after he slayed Kilgore, going out The Champ after that crushing loss to Bosak the year prior. I think I was on an adrenaline high for 3 days.
Have his sons committed to Penn State yet?

Watershed moment was Big Ten Final Session 2011. Nothing short of perfection was going to win it, odds of it happening felt so minimal and the boys responded.

Reactions: matter7172
I realize its a Christmas photo but all that damn red bout made me puke.

End of Gulibon v Clark...

Thanks for posting this, Roar. I will always have a mental picture in my mind of Jimmy just willing his late TD against Clark. He showed a lot of heart. He didn't always get the respect from some fans that I thought he deserved, but he had some great matches and an AA at PSU. He beat 2 NCAA champs (Clark and Heil--even if his fall was not called). Notice how humble he looked after just getting a super win over Clark! I've always been a Jimmy fan.

Thanks for posting this, Roar. I will always have a mental picture in my mind of Jimmy just willing his late TD against Clark. He showed a lot of heart. He didn't always get the respect from some fans that I thought he deserved, but he had some great matches and an AA at PSU. He beat 2 NCAA champs (Clark and Heil--even if his fall was not called). Notice how humble he looked after just getting a super win over Clark! I've always been a Jimmy fan.
Do any of you know what Jimmy is up to these days?

Watershed moment was Big Ten Final Session 2011. Nothing short of perfection was going to win it, odds of it happening felt so minimal and the boys responded.
Except Cornell was not at Big Tens, and a conference tournament is not a great indication of what will happen at Nationals. PSU was still considered an underdog coming out of Big Tens, IIRC.

Reactions: nitlion6
Anyone want to pull the results of the dual meets between Iowa and psu since wrestling was invented, pretty please????

I have a feeling seeing them in person will really great walk down memory lane.

All I can say is carver was owned by noodle arms every time he wrestled there. That's what we do. I wonder who the leader will be this dual. I'm thinking Nick Lee will get the guys ready and prepared to wrestle a big one. Can't wait to see him and wireman go at it although I think Nick takes it to him this time

My ears were ringing for days after that match! BJC was louder that match than any sporting event I've attended except for Nevills/Snyder during the match of the century.

I couldn't find anything on Jimmy other than this photo from the WPIAL Hall of Fame event in May of 2021.

20210528-WPIAL01-1622252538.jpg

I take it that Kolat by fall in his first ever match in the Penn State uniform is going back too far?

Reactions: Dogwelder
Iowa hadn’t lost a big ten dual in years. The dual ended in a tie. McCoy was losing badly to Joel Sharret at 190 and got a late takedown to stop the major. Penn state wins if Shawn Nelson goes. Zaputil majored PSUs backup. Gable was shook afterwards and eventually had Steiner drop a weight so they could get Mcilravy in the lineup.

Penn State had just joined the Big Ten and was hosting Iowa for their first home meet of the season. The best high school wrestler to come out of PA (if not any state) makes his true freshman debut with a second period fall. Epic.
Yep me and a buddy went just for that reason. We watched kolat I ok in high school for four years and wanted to see how he would do in college. I'll never forget that atmosphere as long as I live.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT