ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Plays Ever?

BostonNit

Mar 15, 2003
What are your top 5 PSU Football Plays? Put an asterisk next to any you saw in person.

Here are mine:

1*) Interception Giftopoulos!
2*) FG block vs. OSU.
3) Gregg Garrity TD catch.
4) ARob catch vs. Michigan.
5) Saquon run vs. USC.

Honorable mention:

Chaffee Fields catch vs. Miami.
Lavar leap.
* Incomplete pass back of end zone vs 'Bama, my frosh yr. Right in front of me. (He was in.)
Kenny Jackson spin catch to start the rout of Pitt.
Juwan Johnson shush TD vs Iowa.
Mills run vs. OSU.
Kijana run against Oregon in Rose Bowl.

What are your top 5 PSU Football Plays? Put an asterisk next to any you saw in person.

Here are mine:

1*) Interception Giftopoulos!
2*) FG block vs. OSU.
3) Gregg Garrity TD catch.
4) ARob catch vs. Michigan.
5) Saquon run vs. USC.

Honorable mention:

Chaffee Fields catch vs. Miami.
Lavar leap.
* Incomplete pass back of end zone vs 'Bama, my frosh yr. Right in front of me. (He was in.)
Kenny Jackson spin catch to start the rout of Pitt.
Juwan Johnson shush TD vs Iowa.
Mills run vs. OSU.
Kijana run against Oregon in Rose Bowl.
I saw the last three in person. I'll add that diving catch by Engram in 1994 vs tOSU. Still not sure how he caught it.

One for all us old guys Tony Sacca's behind the back pass to Troy Dayton against Miami in 1991. Was there it was a great game as Penn State tried to pull the upset on the Canes.

Was there for
#2 and #4
Mills run
Larvar Leap

Reactions: PSU87
1) Garrity's catch *
2) Gifto's interception *
3) Lavar leap*
4) Jeff Hite's pick six of a MD lateral on a KO return
5) Kenny Jackson's pirouette against Pitt*

Multi-play honorable mention:
1) Mike Reid's three safeties in one game
2) Final TD drive against IL in '94
3) Final TD drive against MSU in '95

Reactions: BarryPSU
Kirk Bowman TD pass vs Nebraska 1982.
That is the #1 that I witnessed. Suspense was intense, the stadium exploded in joy. I've only witnessed precious few moments that approached it and none equaled it imo. One of those you had to be there moments, from the chip on our shoulders being snubbed in previous years by voters (a common theme here), Nebraska - major intersectional rival a national power at the time, electdricity in the stadium to a higher power than even any I had expereienced before or since. Amazing night. It's good to read about all these great moments we share.

Reactions: razpsu
I can't disagree with your top 5 but as another honorable mention I would put in Gary Brown's stripping the ball from Detmer and TD run in the Holiday Bowl.

I don't know how this isn't on the list, thread title is greatest plays ever (at psu) ... i mean the arob is catch it great but we see jump balls caught all the time. i would say godwins 4th down vs Minny catch is even better. there are even better catches if timing was taken into account. huge play, great freaking play Arob but we see those happen. i m the biggest kijana fan but his run its cool but average ..for him

All I know is we have not seen someone time a jump over the line and make a play like that ... soooo, it's only honorable mention? now biggest plays or most entertaining plays could be different.

Lavar Leap
gary freaking brown

how come Mike McQueary's pass to Concho Brown didn't make it from the citrus bowl?

Remember that play....I thought it was to McDuffie though

You are right it was OJ McDuffie the first time

Miami Holds Off Penn State 26-20
October 13, 1991|by JOHN KUNDA, The Morning Call

Penn State's offensive game plan took a turn to trickery and, while the shuffle pass where Sacca played Magic Johnson and flipped the ball behind his back to wide receiver Troy Dayton worked once, it didn't work when Penn State faced a third-and-15 in a late drive

Reactions: PSU87
I don't know how this isn't on the list, thread title is greatest plays ever (at psu) ... i mean the arob is catch it great but we see jump balls caught all the time. i would say godwins 4th down vs Minny catch is even better. there are even better catches if timing was taken into account. huge play, great freaking play Arob but we see those happen. i m the biggest kijana fan but his run its cool but average ..for him

All I know is we have not seen someone time a jump over the line and make a play like that ... soooo, it's only honorable mention? now biggest plays or most entertaining plays could be different.

Lavar Leap
gary freaking brown

how come Mike McQueary's pass to Concho Brown didn't make it from the citrus bowl?

The ARob catch put us in position (as BIG underdogs) to win that game.

I mentioned the Kijana run because all we heard about in the run up to that game was Oregon's "incredible" gang green defense. 2nd play from scrimmage? TD! Hung 38 points on them in a day we didn't execute well.

My top 5 weren't necessarily the most physically amazing plays, just some of the most noteworthy.

1) Garrity's catch *
2) Gifto's interception *
3) Lavar leap*
4) Jeff Hite's pick six of a MD lateral on a KO return
5) Kenny Jackson's pirouette against Pitt*

Multi-play honorable mention:
1) Mike Reid's three safeties in one game
2) Final TD drive against IL in '94
3) Final TD drive against MSU in '95

Mike Reid pre-dates me.

I was gonna include the TD drive against IL but there was no landmark play, mostly surgical precision.

You are right it was OJ McDuffie the first time

Miami Holds Off Penn State 26-20
October 13, 1991|by JOHN KUNDA, The Morning Call

Penn State's offen

This was the same game where Sacca had an entire field in front of him on fourth down and decided to throw some lame duck instead. He had a great game but at least twenty yards clear to run in front of him. I think his comment afterward alluded to he was too tired to run.

Edit: he actually said if he wasn’t so tired he could’ve completed a few more passes.

Some oldies but goodies:
1967 -- Jim Kates and Denny Onkotz stuff running back Tony Barchuk on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line as PSU knocks off third-ranked NC State 13-8.
Jan. 1, 1969 -- Chuck Burkhart launches a long pass to Bobby Campbell at the 3-yard line -- just out of the reach of two Kansas defenders -- to set up the winning TD in the Orange Bowl.
1979 -- An injury-depleted Penn State team beats NC State 9-7 in Raleigh on a 54-yard field goal by Herb Menhardt as time expires.

Not necessarily a top 5 but the first one that came to mind was Hackenberg’s TD toss to Jesse James at Wisconsin in 2013. It was the turning point in a game in which we were 24 point road underdogs at a very vulnerable point in the program’s history.

Some oldies but goodies:
1967 -- Jim Kates and Denny Onkotz stuff running back Tony Barchuk on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line as PSU knocks off third-ranked NC State 13-8.
Jan. 1, 1969 -- Chuck Burkhart launches a long pass to Bobby Campbell at the 3-yard line -- just out of the reach of two Kansas defenders -- to set up the winning TD in the Orange Bowl.
1979 -- An injury-depleted Penn State team beats NC State 9-7 in Raleigh on a 54-yard field goal by Herb Menhardt as time expires.

Ted Kwalick returning an onside kickoff for a TD vs. Army in 1969.
Ray Isom blasting Short-arms Irvin to cause a fumble in the 87 Fiesta Bowl.

Some not listed:

MRob to DWill vs NW in 2005. The end of the dark years.

Rubin’s hit on Tyrell Pryor in 2008 at the shoe

Mark Robinson’s interception of Marino in 1981 to put 48-14 in motion

Reactions: razpsu and psualt
That is the #1 that I witnessed. Suspense was intense, the stadium exploded in joy. I've only witnessed precious few moments that approached it and none equaled it imo. One of those you had to be there moments, from the chip on our shoulders being snubbed in previous years by voters (a common theme here), Nebraska - major intersectional rival a national power at the time, electdricity in the stadium to a higher power than even any I had expereienced before or since. Amazing night. It's good to read about all these great moments we share.

I was there too. First game with the portable lights, stadium was nowhere near as bright as it is now. Kind of dark when he caught it. But what a moment. Without it, no Garrity catch and no MNC

Courtney Brown’s interception and touchdown return against Brees and and Purdue might be the best play I’ve ever seen by a Penn Stater.
Barkley’s TD run against USC may actually top it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fac
Grant Haley and Marcus Allen combining to stop Corey Clement on 4th down to clinch the B1G title game wasn't flashy but was a championship play. Was fitting those two combined on that tackle after combining on the block six vs OSU. There's probably 15 Barkley plays that could be argued to be in the top 5. He was ridiculous with the Giants tonight. Too bad they really suck

Reactions: Shadow99 and PSU87
Looking back, these two plays won't mean much when looking at the program as a whole, but at the time they sent shockwaves through Happy Valley. The Beav legit turned inside out on both of these....

"Those things come and go in the course of a game..."

He's got a wall

Actually, after watching these two again, I think I'll add Hamler's 93 yarder to my top 3. Just sucks it came in a game we lost.... sort of how I feel about Barkley's Rose Bowl run.. Gotta Finish!

One for all us old guys Tony Sacca's behind the back pass to Troy Dayton against Miami in 1991. Was there it was a great game as Penn State tried to pull the upset on the Canes.

Was there for
#2 and #4
Mills run
Larvar Leap
I actually have a picture I took of Mills' run somewhere....

Reactions: NittanyLion15
This is such a great topic. Brings back so many memories for me.

For the Chafie Fields catch vs. Miami, my wife and I had just moved into a new townhouse so we had some close neighbors. As Chafie was running, I am yelling at the top of my lungs "Go Chafie, Go Chafie, Go Chafie!" At the same time my wife is yelling at me to calm down or the neighbors are going to call the cops. Great times.

I'd be more inclined to include McQ's pass to Chris Campbell at the end of the Rutgers game, which Doug Graber threw a hissyfit over. lol

The pass to concho brown is legendary if you have never seen it you should.

The ARob catch put us in position (as BIG underdogs) to win that game.

I mentioned the Kijana run because all we heard about in the run up to that game was Oregon's "incredible" gang green defense. 2nd play from scrimmage? TD! Hung 38 points on them in a day we didn't execute well.

My top 5 weren't necessarily the most physically amazing plays, just some of the most noteworthy.

It still a jump ball.
Carter's run was the first scrimmage play.
So the list is top 5 most noteworthy plays. Which you have a cool list btw. All those plays are awesome just trying to define
"Top"

As bad as that was nothing compares to this hit. To this day I believe it's the most violent hit to ever occur. Including the NFL

1) Fortunate to see this one live ...

2) I can still hear Keith Jackson call this play ...

3) Also fortunate to see this one in person. Watching SB last night against the Eagles was like deja vu.

4) Scared the crap out of my new born screaming during this play ...

5) As a stupid sophomore, I went home to Philly for a Who concert instead of attending this game ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT