ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 PSU Wrestlers of all time...

Do you agree with this list? I don't! I note that all of the wrestlers cited as being the best "of all time" wrestled after the year 1995. What about all of the great PSU wrestlers prior to then? There were a lot of them. The best PSU wrestler I ever saw was Andy Matter, class of 1972. Google him and see if you think he belongs on the list you have chosen to post.

Last edited:
Do you agree with this list? I don't! I note that all of the wrestlers cited as being the best "of all time" wrestled after the year 1995. What about all of the great PSU wrestlers prior to then? There were a lot of them. The best PSU wrestler I ever saw was Andy Matter, class of 1972. Google him and see if you think he belongs on the list you have chosen to post.
Not only Matter, but there are a number of other wrestlers that could be on this list. Cassar had a great senior season but I can name a dozen wrestlers I would have ahead of him.

Reactions: bison13
You obviously never saw Andy Matter,. Fast, powerhouse, almost unbeatable. A friend of mine was NCAA wrestling referee for years and he said he was better then Dan Gable!! (At that time)

I generally agree with this list. You could do a lot of interchanging within the top 5, so I can’t argue with how they have it. I agree with their decision to put the 2-timer at number 1 though. He was consistently the most dominant despite not having 3 titles like the other 4 guys in the top-5.

Reactions: hlstone
Offering the list for those a bit frustrated as I was trying to read on my phone with the constant refresh and redirect by ads. (Amazing how one always pops just as I go to touch the screen.)
10 Anthony Cassar
9 Vincenzo Joseph
8 Quentin Wright
7 Mark Hall
6 Kerry McCoy
5 Jason Nolf
4 Ed Ruth
3 Bo Nickal
2 Zain Retherford
1 David Taylor

Reactions: lb lion and hlstone
Not only Matter, but there are a number of other wrestlers that could be on this list. Cassar had a great senior season but I can name a dozen wrestlers I would have ahead of him.
definitely agree about Andy Matter

I'd go Bo #2, and Nolf #3. Jason was a better wrestler than Ruth with a larger arsenal. Ed was great but he had a ridiculous wingspan and was a cradle machine. I'd put Nico over Cassar.

Onward did a list 5 or so years ago that wasnt all you g guys. Better list in my opinion. Sunderland, abe, mccoy along with matter and others. Cary kolat may have been the best if he could have kept his priorities in order

Reactions: Eyecatcher
I love David Taylor but I think an argument could be made for Zain to be #1. He has the two Hodge Trophy's and three titles.

The article states it is from the “Internet era” - so if you mean ARPANet we can add in the older guys. :)

I started using the internet in 1993, even if the writer used 1995 as a cutoff that’s 26 years - aren’t we blessed to have had the volume of talent to watch to make even such a list for that time period tough?

ADVERTISEMENT