ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Improvised/Unscripted movie lines! You got a favorite here? Or another one??

Most of the funny lines Jackie Gleason muttered in Smokey and the Bandit were ad lib.

Well it wasn’t an ad lib in a movie, but one of the funnier ones I saw involved Richard Harris playing King Arthur. Saw him years ago in a theater in the round which no longer exists. Any way, there was a scene where Sir Lancelot first meets and realizes he is talking to King Arthur.
The actor playing Lancelot is way overplaying his role in professing his loyalty to King Arthur. There is a fly buzzing Harris while all this is going on. When Lancelot states for at least the 4th or 5th time he would do anything to prove his loyalty, Harris says well you could start by killing this fly.

John Cazale in Dog Day Afternoon. Pacino will release the hostages if authorities give them a plane to take them to another country, and asks Cazale which country he wants to go to.

Cazale says "Wyoming."

Pacino didn't miss a beat, saying, "Wyoming's not a country. We'll have to decide that later."

Bill Murray ad libbed just about every line in caddy shack. I think he was supposed to be there for like 1 day and 6 min role. But they had to change it because he was so good.
I think Dangerfield was the only one who didn't adlib. Great, great movie.

Reactions: TheGLOV
This scene was all ad-libbed

...As was the "when you have to shoot, shoot don't talk" line of this scene if I remember correctly:

Otherwise, "Funny How" of the original video...and at the end they show the Usual Suspects lineup scene, in which the joking around was apparently unscripted.

Casting for Full Metal Jacket should have been a walk in the park. Every Marine knows that there are at least a 1000 Drill Instructors who could have played that part without a script.
But they got a great one. My memory is if a Panamanian DS who was about 5-4”. A mean SOB but his accent cracked everyone up at night and after lights out some of the troops would do imitations. Among theM “Who here has had the little fu$Kin crabs?” He was a sniper who went off in the jungles in Vietnam for a month or two alone at a time and had some amazing stories of near death. Or one of the others who would say “I don’t know but I’ve been told, Eximo pussy is might cold”.

The “Funny like a clown, Henry?? How the f#%k am I funny??” scene from Goodfellas. Only Joe Pesci, Ray Liotta, and Martin Scorsese knew it was coming, the rest of the cast and crew in the scene weren’t told about it ahead of time to get their genuine reactions. It was based off of a real encounter between a young Joe Pesci and mobster at a club Pesci worked at the time.

Casting for Full Metal Jacket should have been a walk in the park. Every Marine knows that there are at least a 1000 Drill Instructors who could have played that part without a script.

Ermy wasn't even the original cast. He was an advisor and put together an outrageous audition tape to get Kubrick's attention. Obviously it worked.

My favorite ad-lib is from A Wonderful Life. This explanation is stolen from IMDB:

As Uncle Billy drunkenly leaves the Bailey home, it sounds as if he stumbles into some trash cans on the sidewalk. In fact, a crew member dropped a large tray of props right after Thomas Mitchell went off-screen. James Stewart began laughing, and Mitchell quickly improvised, "I'm alright, I'm okay!" Director Frank Capra decided to use this take in the final cut and gave the stagehand a $10 bonus for "improving the sound." ($10 in 1946 is equivalent to nearly $132 in 2019.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT