ADVERTISEMENT

Too many commercials and time outs in basketball

psu00

Jan 4, 2010
There are waaaay too many time outs and commercials in ncaa basketball. Holy God, it takes half a lifetime to get through the last 5 minutes of a game. ;)

They shortened college football games a few years ago ...

They made changes to keep the clock running when a runner went out of bounds and I believe they also changed the start of the play clock.

They really need to do something about college bball, but I guess nobody notices the problems expect for the fans. Apparently, the coaches, players, and announcers just love the aspect of stretching the last 5 minutes of actual playing time over 30 minutes of real time.

It becomes un-watchable to me.

it's a nightmare, especially if you are waiting to watch the next show

You've got to sit through a coach calling multiple timeouts in the last minute down by 15.

If you watched the end of the Wisconsin game, it was foul, timeout, foul, timeout. Sometimes close games are not won by the best team, but the best free throw shooters. If a team is behind, they just start fouling and if a team is ahead by three, they foul to prevent a three pointer. Turns me off from the game.

Basketball Changes

30 second shot clock.

Use international dimension for foul lane.

Move the charging semi-circle out farther.

And now the biggies.

Enforce the concept of intentional foul; especially, in final 2 minutes of a game.

Non shooting foul in the front court: revert back to the single shot. After 6th foul, two to make 1.

Non shooting foul in the back court: two shots, first worth two points, second worth 1 point.

Shooting foul (basket made): single shot, but worth 2 points.

Shooting foul (basket missed): depending on length of shot, 2 or 3 shots with each shot worth the following: inside arc: 2 points each, otherwise 3 points each.

Timeouts: 5 as it is now. If it is a 30 or 60 second TO, teams MUST be in position within 10 seconds of timeout ends. Failure is a Technical foul.

TV Timeouts: same as now, except can not take a TV Timeout within 4 minutes of a team timeout. For example, team takes a timeout at 16:01, next possible timeout for TV Timeout would be under 12 unless either team takes a time out in the 4 minute interval. At end of a game, game can not be delayed for TV Timeouts.

Play injury/disqualification, coaches have 30 seconds to make substitution; else Technical foul. Other players must stay at position on floor while coach makes substitution.

Re: I feel the same way about both College and Pro football...

Commercials and game interruptions have all but made Pro football unwatchable for me.

Was complaining about that last night. Will DVR other games now.

I'm going to do like I do with PSU football games. Record it, don't pay attention to the sports news, and then watch it later fast forwarding through the commercials.

You can watch a football game in an hour and a half instead of three. I bet you can cut down the game by 1/3 if you scroll through commercials.

More time outs = more $$$$$$ for all of these amateur athletes. Oops, I mean - more money for the NCAA.

Let's face it, the NCAA ruined college sports.

Originally posted by jjsocrates:
More time outs = more $$$$$$ for all of these amateur athletes. Oops, I mean - more money for the NCAA.

Let's face it, the NCAA ruined college sports.
Yeah, more money for the NCAA. We should be happy for that. We want them to be able to properly compensate the Paternos after the trial, right?
medium-smiley-037.gif

I get tired of watching a free throw shooting contest as well at the end of games. The final two minutes of a game takes forever.

That is one of the many reasons I don't watch basketball. If PSU is on I wait until the last 5 min to even turn the game on because I know that will take at least 30 min. to complete more likely 45. Hockey gets 1 time out a game and unless it's the playoffs you don't even get another time out in overtime. No need for basketball to get 5 or 6 per half.

Hockey is amazing at the end of a close game compared to basketball.

Many times the last 2-3 minutes are frantic with no stoppage of play.

I agree. There are a minimum of 4 TV time outs per half on top of each team getting 5 time outs per half. It's a 20 minute half with 14 time outs in those 20 minutes. Just ridiculous.

The Wiscy-Arizona game is a perfect example. This game could've been great to watch, but there's so many timeouts and so many foul calls that there's no flow at all. 37 fouls and 50 free throws shot and they haven't even gotten to the foul game that takes place in the last minute. Refs need to set the tone early and then get the heck out of the way. I don't remember a full minute of play without a stoppage of some kind. Awful to watch and a disservice to the players in the game.

Originally posted by danvillenit:
Hockey is amazing at the end of a close game compared to basketball.

Many times the last 2-3 minutes are frantic with no stoppage of play.
I completely agree with this. Add a good, excited announcer at the end of a close hockey game and the adrenaline rush is incredible. If it's an important game, even better.

not sure how many TOs there are. I thought each team got 3 per half, but it seems like many more. I would say the TV TOs should only happen when the team calls TOs. TV TOs are impacting games.

unless the announcers call it, you don't always know whether TO was team or TV based. the # possessions that can happen in 1 minute seems way beyond what it was in the 1970s (40 yrs ago).

I would also like to see traveling enforced. tonight a guy from ND walked probably 4 steps, bounced the ball over his head as he lost control (turned it over) and eventually dunked the ball. in the 1970-'s that is a travel all the time.

I have loved Basketball my entire life, but the excessive timeouts,and the micro managing by the coaches that goes along with it, ruin the game for me. There needs to be a serious reduction in timeouts. There are already 4 media timeouts in each half built into every game. I see no reason why there has to be any more than two additional timeouts per half for each team.

they ruined the flow of the game with all the tv timeouts and each team having 5 timeouts.
Then, when you add in the fact that every time there is a foul, both teams have to huddle together...
Now, the officials have to go to the monitor...

It is just impossible to watch anymore.

Go back to having each team having 3 timeouts. No huddles. A player that has been disqualified has 15 seconds to get off the court and his replacement in (NO TEAM HUDDLES DURING THIS TIME). Any review is done by an extra ref that is stationed in front of a monitor. 15 second time limit on reviews. There is NO reason that a game official goes "under the hood" (this goes for football too).
The call is given over the loud speaker and the game resumes.

Re: Basketball Changes

Some great ideas here. I know I relayed in an earlier thread the same idea of the 30 sec shot clock and going down to 4 TO's total for each team. If they have to stay at 5, make 3 of them 30 sec and 2 60 sec. I'd like to see the TV timeouts go down to every 5 minutes but I know that wont happen.

I dont think the fouling idea saves too much time with the 2 for 1 stuff. What I'd like to see is players get 6 fouls each so there are less substitutions and foul out which result in extra 30 sec TO's. Also, make it 1-1 until 12 team fouls and cut the time a players gets at the FT line from 10 to 5 seconds to shoot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT