ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Romo...

BisbeeMike

Jul 6, 2017
Frankly I think he's doing a great job. He is FAR FAR better than Phil Simms. CBS made a great move by dumping that tool Simms. Tony is all about the play on the field, does not lean to one team or another, does not take contrarian stances just to be a jerk, and doesn't broadcast the game from the viewpoint of one team or the other team. He is neutral, knows the nuance of the modern game, and focuses only on what is happening on the field and leaves the pandering to other crews.

I just happened to catch him doing a game earlier in the season - Packers/Seahawks? - and he was doing a really good job.

Reactions: BisbeeMike
" focuses only on what is happening on the field"

This seems to be a lost art on today's announcers. Part of what made guys like Keith Jackson so great was they could call a game without trying to convince you they know everything about football.

Reactions: FHSPSU67

This seems to be a lost art on today's announcers. Part of what made guys like Keith Jackson so great was they could call a game without trying to convince you they know everything about football.
My list, with Keith at the very top...
Keith Jackson
Chris Schenkel
Jim Simpson
Gary Bender
Lee Grosscup

Or describing it as if you'd never before in your life watched a football game.

Romo played in the Western Amateur at my club the first week in August. It's good that he's doing a decent job in the announcing booth because his golf isn't going to support him.....he shot 80-81, did not make the cut to play day three and actually received a penalty for slow play!

Two of the worst I've ever heard are Dan Fouts and Tim Brandt. Brandt was so bad they had to finally pull him off the air and he wound up on the SEC network in their B studio. Tim Brandt, if you can recall, and most wouldn't care to(lol), is the Maryland grad who rooted against PSU for every game he broadcast, most notably in 1986, when he was screaming at the Notre Dame tight end for dropping the game winning touchdown pass.

Being better than Sims is a pretty low bar to clear. I'm not a fan of Romo thus far.

I just pray the Eagles lose tonight, I don't think I can stomach their fans after a win like this....

Romo doesn't fart in the booth, another reason to prefer him over Simms. If Simms didn't play in New York he would never have seen a broadcast booth.

Reactions: harbest
Frankly I think he's doing a great job. He is FAR FAR better than Phil Simms. CBS made a great move by dumping that tool Simms. Tony is all about the play on the field, does not lean to one team or another, does not take contrarian stances just to be a jerk, and doesn't broadcast the game from the viewpoint of one team or the other team. He is neutral, knows the nuance of the modern game, and focuses only on what is happening on the field and leaves the pandering to other crews.
I like him. He knows the league and obviously knows the game better than I do explaining things I don't see.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
As an eagles fan, it pains me to say that my two favorite announcers are former cowboys QBs (Romo and Aikman)

I'd say he's the best on air right now, and it's his first year. He's exponentially better than Mr. Hair plugs, and without any of the training.

I thought he did a nice job tonight. I hadn't watched/listened to TNF yet this year. Romo made a good choice by entering the booth. He could be getting the crap kicked out of him on a weekly basis with some mediocre team right now.

Gunnie, it's not hard to be better than Phil Simms.

I actually think you are better than Phil Simms.

That's not a compliment either.

Football is so much ore than two opponents lining up and trying to beat each other up. Next to watching the game itself, I like watching the x's and o's of the game. When your team scores, the average fan just roots for the score, the true fan questions how the play happened and why it worked.

I used to love their ribs and fried onion loaves.

51049.jpg

Last edited:
I can't stand Romo, hard to listen too, will be just as bad as Aikman. Hmmmmm, I see a theme here of hating former Cowboys that become commentators....Was Gruden ever a Cowboy?

I thought Romo did a nice job today on the Steelers-Chiefs game. Certainly better than Phil Simms, but as stated elsewhere in this thread, that's not a high bar to hurdle.

Now if CBS could find someone worthwhile to replace Jim Nantz...

These guys should review an NFL broadcast with Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier, or Jack Buck and Hank Stram. Less is more.

I thought Romo did a nice job today on the Steelers-Chiefs game. Certainly better than Phil Simms, but as stated elsewhere in this thread, that's not a high bar to hurdle.

Now if CBS could find someone worthwhile to replace Jim Nantz...

These guys should review an NFL broadcast with Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier, or Jack Buck and Hank Stram. Less is more.
Summerall in the 70s and 80's? Yes. After that, no.

Buck and Stram were the greatest in the game's history in my opinion.

Reactions: phillybillyreprise
Tony was great again today doing the Steelers vs Chiefs game. Frankly, after 15 years of Phil Simms actively rooting against the Steelers, I have to admit it was bizarre listening to an actual, non-partisan, entertaining and intelligent color man do a Steeler game. It was really kind of like the Twilight zone, haha.

Romo was great....calling pass against a three man line and run against four. Honestly, the only another announcer that good was Bernie Kosar (except for his awful slurring of words). As the O came up tot he line, he'd call the coverage, blitzes and 1 on 1 coverages on wideouts. He'd name who his #1 progression was or what he'd audible. For those who love the game within the game, it was great. I am hopeful other announcers take note and quit with the hero worship, up close & personal stuff and the dance choreography and call a football game.

I thought some things he said were a little awkward at times, but overall he was pretty good. He had some good insight, especially on the Ben going to the bathroom thing :)

Reactions: BBrown
He actually talked like someone who played and has passion for the game. I also like his spontaneity. Look at Aikman- like he never played.

Did anyone catch Romo's subtle yet brilliant Dumb & Dumber reference during the Steelers Chiefs game? Jim Nantz stumbled just a bit trying to say JuJu Smith Schuster's name. Romo immediately said " Sa-Sa-Sa-Samsonite, Swanson!" Classic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT