ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Carr taken #51 by New Orleans Pelicans

Should get him a good starting job with the D league, by getting into the draft. 2nd rounders don't usually make the team, but they have a good shot of eventually hooking on to a team in a few years, with good performance in the D league.

Reactions: psu1969a
Better than Talor Battle, Tim Frazier, Joe Crispin, etc. Are you out of your mind?
... are you? Tony Carr is the best of that bunch, in my opinion and in the opinion of many (including the NBA, evidently). In addition to making first-team All Big 10 and honorable mention All-America and being the Big 10 regular-season scoring leader, Carr's teams won 41 games with an NIT championship (15 points, 14 assists and nine boards in the final) for the best two-year stretch in how long? Dude. Come on.

Anyway, good landing spot for Tony. I think N.O. got a steal.

Last edited:
Reactions: aferrelli
Better than Talor Battle, Tim Frazier, Joe Crispin, etc. Are you out of your mind?

Carr is definitely better than those guys were as sophomores and, given his size, definitely with more NBA potential, which is how you get drafted.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
Carr is definitely better than those guys were as sophomores and, given his size, definitely with more NBA potential, which is how you get drafted.

Zero NCAA tourneys with Carr. Some of those other guys made the tourney with lesser teammates than Carr had.

Zero NCAA tourneys with Carr. Some of those other guys made the tourney with lesser teammates than Carr had.

I could be wrong, but Carr just doesn't strike me as the leader type. He certainly didn't appear to be a vocal leader at Penn State.

Carr had the most NBA potential of those guys but I don't agree he was the best college player in the past 20 years at Penn State. Best of luck to the kid at the next level though--nice to see a Penn Stater get drafted in any sport.

Not arguing but being a better NBA prospect does not mean better player in college. Kids like Battle didn't have much of a chance in the NBA because of his size.

Carr averaged 2.9 pts per game more than Battle did as a sophomore but you could argue that Battle was a better leader. Battle had slightly more rebounds and they had the same assist numbers. I think Battle was better on defense but that's not saying much. Amazingly Battle played more minutes than Carr. I'd say they were pretty close.

Reactions: Sharkies
I really think that TC will do well in the NBA. Just look at the improvement that he made from year 1 to year 2. He most likely will get better still, playing around such great talent. New Orleans will probably bring him along slowly.

I could be wrong, but Carr just doesn't strike me as the leader type. He certainly didn't appear to be a vocal leader at Penn State.
He's going to get paid a lot of money to do little. He doesn't care about anything else.

He's going to get paid a lot of money to do little. He doesn't care about anything else.
Maybe $1-2 million but that doesn't last forever. I give him a 50-50 chance of making an NBA roster. If not he'll make some money playing elsewhere.

2nd round picks don't become leaders or alpha dogs in the NBA. That is Anthony Davis's job down in New Orleans.

Frazier was a better all around player. Carr can shoot the three better than Tim and that's it.

Question, do you think he could have played another year at PSU? It just feels like he left early and would have benefited by one more year in college.

I have to admit, I have a a very topical knowledge of the young man, but would another year elevated him into the first round?

Last edited:
Question, do you think he could have played another year at PSU? It just feels like he left early and would have benefited by one more year in college.

I have to admit, a very topical knowledge of the young man, but would another year elevated him into the first round?
It’s possible. That said, the biggest thing holding Carr back from being a first round pick is his average to below average raw athleticism. He didn’t test very well at the NBA Combine at all compared to other guards in the draft class. He could have come back and had another all-conference caliber stat line, but I don’t see that really helping him all that much without the requisite jump in pure athleticism - something that, to a certain extent, you either have or you don’t.

Actually think Reaves is going to be a better pro. He fits the 3 and D mold and has been playing off the ball for 3 years while matching up with the other team’s best offensive player. Carr could have a tough transition as I don’t think he has ever had to play the role and I personally do not see him as a top 3 scoring option on an NBA team.

I have to admit, I have a a very topical knowledge of the young man, but would another year elevated him into the first round?
He would have been stronger and a little smarter. Look at his highlight reel. It is a bunch of 3s and that’s it. He would have had a higher profile next year and maybe gone a little higher. But, depending on who else is in the draft next year, or if he got injured, he may have made the safer move this year.

It’s possible. That said, the biggest thing holding Carr back from being a first round pick is his average to below average raw athleticism. He didn’t test very well at the NBA Combine at all compared to other guards in the draft class. He could have come back and had another all-conference caliber stat line, but I don’t see that really helping him all that much without the requisite jump in pure athleticism - something that, to a certain extent, you either have or you don’t.

In many ways, Carr is DJ Newbill with a better handle

Actually think Reaves is going to be a better pro. He fits the 3 and D mold and has been playing off the ball for 3 years while matching up with the other team’s best offensive player. Carr could have a tough transition as I don’t think he has ever had to play the role and I personally do not see him as a top 3 scoring option on an NBA team.
If he was a better shooter then you'd be right. He's come a long way shooting-wise but there are one hundred better shooters with similar measurables.

I don't see that comparison at all. Newbill was a slasher/finisher. Carr is neither. He's a passer/shooter.
Passer, shooter, and post player. He can post up most guards and even think he can in the NBA, PGs at least sans LeBron lol.

If he was a better shooter then you'd be right. He's come a long way shooting-wise but there are one hundred better shooters with similar measurables.

Reaves shot 37.7% last year from 3. If he gets it over 40%, with the athleticism to guard a 1, 2 or 3, and his competitive mindset and work ethic then I think that’s more than adequate to fill a bench role that gets 15-20 minutes a game in the NBA. A Patrick Beverly type.

Reactions: LionJim
Plus he has great court vision. His assist to dunk ratio last year was huge.

ADVERTISEMENT