ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Carr Draft Projection

There are draft projections all over the place. They are (IMHO) a lot more useless than the NFL draft projections because of all the potential “one-and-dones” as well as all the foreign players that all of a sudden show up in the draft pool.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
That's great for him. I doubt being around another year at PSU would have helped his draft status.

LdN
I think he made a horrible decision. He could have declared and worked out without signing an agent. Then he could have seen where he stood against NBA competition while leaving his options open. It seems he wanted whatever $$$ he could get now rather than later but it's possible that he could walk away with relatively little guaranteed money.

Good article about 2nd round picks. It's 2 years old but still worth a read.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/houston-barber/where-are-all-the-second-_b_9722192.html

All of the talk of getting rid of the one and done rule didn't help. If Carr returned and the NBA eliminated the rule, he would be up against all the college guys AND 15 or so HS players in the '19 draft; he would be at risk of not even being drafted.

Reactions: bison13
He made what he believed to be the best decision for him & his family. I don't understand why people are questioning it. He wasn't going to raise his stock much even with a return. Upperclassmen aren't typically first round picks in this era. He's never going to be a lottery type guy. He has the same chance of getting selected late first this year as he would next year

Reactions: willisdavis
And I think you couldn't be more wrong. He is not physically ready for the kind of guys in the NBA. A year would do him a lot of good.

The NBA drafts based on potential--not "physically ready"
And if he's not physically ready after 2 years in college he's screwed and might as well play in Europe

He could very easily improve his draft stock. Ie Improve finishing at basket, quicker shot release, improve as PG. etc. Could definitely have not only been 1st Team B1G but also B1G Player of Year. PSU would also been a Top 20 team that could make Tourny noise. Big resume builders.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bdgan
He could very easily improve his draft stock. Ie Improve finishing at basket, quicker shot release, improve as PG. etc. Could definitely have not only been 1st Team B1G but also B1G Player of Year. PSU would also been a Top 20 team that could make Tourny noise. Big resume builders.

1st team B1G, B1G player of the year, playing for a top 20 team--does absolutely nothing for his personal resume. He had to go pro IMO and he did. Chambers wasn't going to get him to where he needs to be...the NBA will give him that opportunity even if it is the G league.

The NBA drafts based on potential--not "physically ready"
And if he's not physically ready after 2 years in college he's screwed and might as well play in Europe
I'd say you're nuts too, except everyone already knows that. Time for another user name change.

Reactions: wbcincy
I'd say you're nuts too, except everyone already knows that. Time for another user name change.
In fairness I expect Carr to sign a $4 million contract with half of that being guaranteed. That's got to be incredibly attractive to a kid like that. The problem is that $2 million guaranteed gets cut in half after paying agent commissions and taxes. So how far will $1 million take him? Of course he could make it in the league and if not he could play in Europe for $100k per year. He won't be poor. It's just that he could have easily doubled that amount if he came back and had a good year at PSU.

Reactions: psu1969a
LMAO. Right. So everyone should turn pro after their freshman year, since they will learn more that way. You're nuts.
Well, obviously, Carr did NOT declare for the pros after his freshman year. Just my opinion, but I think he can be a long-term NBA player who might take a year or two before being on a pro roster full time (possibly going back and forth from G-League to the NBA for some period of time). He's got size and passing ability.

Anyone think he would've been drafted after his freshman year? I'm guessing not, so that would mean an extra year made him possibly draftable.. what would anther year do?

I think his 39.5 percent shooting inside the 3 point line is concerning as well as his low 3point push shot. That plus limited ability to get others involved and somewhat lackadaisical defense makes me think his draft stock is not as good as he's hearing. Hope it works out for him. I'm not an NBA scout so I don't know what they're looking for

One possibility is simply that Carr didn't want to return to Penn State. Of course he wants to play in the NBA, but the decision to enter the draft this year may have been driven as much by a desire to leave Penn State as to go pro. I state this as a possibility, so I have no idea if there is any credence to it. Maybe he wasn't happy at Penn State. Maybe he doesn't want to be a college student.

Let's see how many upper classmen go in the first round this year. The league loves freshman and international players. They're okay with sophomores. They want 19-20 year olds to build around. Guys like Bridges (Nova) and Grayson Allen (Duke) but they would have likely gone in the first last year. This isn't football where you actually, more often than not, improve your stock. Returning typically hurts players like Miles Bridges. My guess is only one upperclassmen goes in the lottery. Carr was never going to be a lottery pick so take your chance now.

Let's see how many upper classmen go in the first round this year. The league loves freshman and international players. They're okay with sophomores. They want 19-20 year olds to build around. Guys like Bridges (Nova) and Grayson Allen (Duke) but they would have likely gone in the first last year. This isn't football where you actually, more often than not, improve your stock. Returning typically hurts players like Miles Bridges. My guess is only one upperclassmen goes in the lottery. Carr was never going to be a lottery pick so take your chance now.
Bridges is Michigan State

Bridges is Michigan State
Two Bridges actually, Nova and Michigan State. And they happen to be roughly the same size, and roughly the same draft projection. From the SI article:

new-york-knicks-logo.png
Knicks: Mikal Bridges, SF, Villanova | Jr.

Height: 6'7" | Weight: 210 | Age: 21 | Last: 9
Stats: 18.0 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 43% 3FG

The Knicks could use a wing player, and Bridges is a pretty safe bet to become useful as a plus defender and perimeter scorer. He’s a smooth athlete whose ability to space the floor and guard multiple positions makes him an easy theoretical fit in any lineup. Creating his own shot off the dribble is a weakness, but as a secondary scorer, Bridges has room to improve and give you enough everywhere else. However, he may not have the upside of others in this range.

philadelphia-sixers-logo.png
76ers: Miles Bridges, F, Michigan State | So.

(*via Lakers)
Height: 6'7" | Weight: 225 | Age: 20 | Last: 10
Stats: 17.1 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 36.4% 3FG

While questions remain about how good of a shooter Bridges actually is and how much of a defensive plus he can become, he’s extremely athletic and has the makings of a utility-type combo forward. The four is probably his most natural spot despite a lack of ideal positional size. Bridges could benefit from reimagining himself as a high-energy glue guy, and playing within an established, ball-moving hierarchy in Philly, he would be able to really focus on playing that type of role. He needs to sell teams on his willingness to adjust.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
That's great for him. I doubt being around another year at PSU would have helped his draft status.

LdN

My opinion, you are badly mistaken. A year like he played in the last 5 games of the season would have done wonders.

Last edited:
One possibility is simply that Carr didn't want to return to Penn State. Of course he wants to play in the NBA, but the decision to enter the draft this year may have been driven as much by a desire to leave Penn State as to go pro. I state this as a possibility, so I have no idea if there is any credence to it. Maybe he wasn't happy at Penn State. Maybe he doesn't want to be a college student.
Very good possibility. One guy that my son played college baseball with was hoping to get drafted after his junior year because he didn’t like college. He carried a 3.75 GPA, but his mind was always on baseball and he wanted to be able to work and focus on baseball every day. He got drafted and left. It had nothing to do with the school, he just didn’t like college and now he loves it in the minors because he gets to play baseball every day and doesn’t have to worry about going to class, studying or taking tests. He may never make the show, but for now he gets to do what he loves every day and he got a pretty nice signing bonus.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN and royboy
But he will have millions like Tim Frazier!!!!!

I like Tim a great deal, but where did you get this information that Tim Frazier has millions?
  • He's the 327th best-paid NBA player this year.
  • He's the 135th best-paid guard this year.
  • He's the 11th best-paid player of the Washington Wizards this year.

I like Tim a great deal, but where did you get this information that Tim Frazier has millions?
  • He's the 327th best-paid NBA player this year.
  • He's the 135th best-paid guard this year.
  • He's the 11th best-paid player of the
    Washington Wizards
    this year.

Ummm...your link says he made 2M this year and he makes over 2M next year....contact value over 4M. Why are you confused?

Ummm...your link says he made 2M this year and he makes over 2M next year....contact value over 4M. Why are you confused?

What is his net? Agent - 10%, FIT - 30+%, SIT & LIT (depends on state of residence). With luck and a good Tax Accountant, he may clear a million which is chump change when you look at NBA minimums.

YOS Year 1 Year 2
7 YOS $1,974,159 $2,072,867

The fact that he thought he was ready, when clearly he may not even be drafted or make a team, and passed on a chance to be a 1st team all american, made me wonder about this guy.

Signing with an agent was just bizarre. I have never seen anyone project him better than an early 2nd round pick, or at best the last pick of the first round. Foreclosing the option to come back makes one wonder how much he was invested to begin with. Ever since his HS highlights I thought he looked very smooth but kind of slow. If I can see it the NBA can see it. Always thought Stevens was the more exciting player anyway. It will be nice to see Reaves and Stevens and Watkins as the leaders next year. I think those guys really want to win

Reactions: psu1969a and NC2017
The fact that he thought he was ready, when clearly he may not even be drafted or make a team, and passed on a chance to be a 1st team all american, made me wonder about this guy.

Signing with an agent was just bizarre. I have never seen anyone project him better than an early 2nd round pick, or at best the last pick of the first round. Foreclosing the option to come back makes one wonder how much he was invested to begin with. Ever since his HS highlights I thought he looked very smooth but kind of slow. If I can see it the NBA can see it. Always thought Stevens was the more exciting player anyway. It will be nice to see Reaves and Stevens and Watkins as the leaders next year. I think those guys really want to win

it surprised me that he did it this way. the more rational approach would be to go through the evaluation, and then decide. i am not sure what he gained by making the firm commit. it seemed like the more risky move.

the more the NBA can move to make their minor league real like BB and hockey, the better. we need more players taking that route rather than pretending to be students at a university.

In 30 years time, he will be craving to be a college student again. I know I am.

1st team B1G, B1G player of the year, playing for a top 20 team--does absolutely nothing for his personal resume. He had to go pro IMO and he did. Chambers wasn't going to get him to where he needs to be...the NBA will give him that opportunity even if it is the G league.
Dude, shut up. You haven’t made one positive post about PSU b-ball this year, and we god damn won the NIT and had one of our best seasons in program history. The stuff you are saying is assanine as well. It’s laughable. Tell Sandy, who is one of the top ADs in the country and getting paid millions your bullshit. Btw, chambers just got an extension!!!!

Dude, shut up. You haven’t made one positive post about PSU b-ball this year, and we god damn won the NIT and had one of our best seasons in program history. The stuff you are saying is assanine as well. It’s laughable. Tell Sandy, who is one of the top ADs in the country and getting paid millions your bullshit. Btw, chambers just got an extension!!!!

Winning the NIT is meaningless. The Chambers extension shows that we aren't committed to winning. Last I checked Washington kept her job as well. Watch the NBA the next several years and tell me how often someone comes back for another year and improves their stock. See how many upper classmen go in the lottery. Carr made the right decision. You're putting the program ahead of the kid.

Praising Sandy won't go over well here and it won't be me arguing with you

Reactions: garw
The only rational reason I can come up with that he immediately hired an agent is that he didn't want to attend class any more...If you would consider that rational.

I really hope that the last two Philly guys stay and get their degrees.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT