ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Stevens following Wazzu coaches on Twitter?

got_cougar.gif

Sir Nittany Ziggy's sweet spot. Most likely a representative of Sir Ziggy's sizable stable.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Perhaps he should be more cognizant about who he decides to “follow” on Twitter and when he does so.

Maybe he wants to be a coach someday and wants to have as many contacts as possible. I think it is very unfair to characterize a kid evaluating his options as causing drama.

Reactions: tmacpolo
Yep. I don’t see how a kid evaluating his options and making contacts is causing drama. He has been nothing but all class when talking about the staff, team and his role. To me, it seems like he has gone above and beyond to avoid drama during his time here.

Thanks for the response...”Planted friend of the Stevens family” :rolleyes:

Reactions: Lavar5150
Tommy suffers from the “I think I’m sexy and therefore coveted by everyone” disease.

The following is the reality:
  1. Tommy is a good “runner”
  2. Tommy hasn’t really demonstrated that he’s a “proficient passer” who can “read defenses”.
  3. Tommy might not be as good as certain QB’s who are behind him academically and on the depth chart.
Whatever,

Drama Tommy
The way I see it, the only drama is the drama manufactured by some on this Board based on who he follows on Twitter. He’s free to follow who he wants, if you don’t like it, don’t stalk him.

Perhaps he should be more cognizant about who he decides to “follow” on Twitter and when he does so.
So, the kid can’t follow who he wants on Twitter because it may get some Board members’ panties in a bunch? The way I see it, the ones running to post on the Board who he is following are creating the drama, not him.

Tommy suffers from the “I think I’m sexy and therefore coveted by everyone” disease.

2. Tommy hasn’t really demonstrated that he’s a “proficient passer” who can “read defenses”.
  3. Tommy might not be as good as certain QB’s who are behind him academically and on the depth chart.
Whatever,

Drama Tommy

Regardless of what you may or may not think about his abilities, intrinsically, or comparatively, I think this characterization of him, as regards the "drama," is completely uncalled for. He came in as a heralded recruit. He was allegedly (whether it was true or not, I don't care ... I don't care to speculate there) in the running for the starting spot as late as the beginning of last year. He's agreed to play other roles in order to get on the field and contribute. He's basically been completely silent on any potential "controversy."

Whether I thought he was better or worse than anyone else on the roster, I have seen nothing to support the assertion that he's "Drama Tommy."

Frankly, that's bullpoo.

Last edited:
Regardless of what you may or may not think about his abilities, intrinsically, or comparatively, I think this characterization of him, as regards the "drama," is completely uncalled for. He came in as a heralded recruit. He was allegedly (whether it was true or not, I don't care ... I don't care to speculate there) in the running for the starting spot as late as the beginning of last year. He's agreed to play other roles in order to get on the field and contribute. He's basically been completely silent on any potential "controversy."

Whether I thought he was better or worse than anyone else on the roster, I have seen nothing to support the assertion that he's "Drama Tommy."

Frankly, that's bullpoo.
Wait a minute. I thought you didn’t care about or follow PSU football because you recently typed....

“I'm not at all excited for PSU's bowl game, though I'll muster up fake interest for the benefit of my boys (8 and 10), and to have an excuse to sit and watch sports with them.”

Your words, not mine.

Wait a minute. I thought you didn’t care about or follow PSU football because you recently typed....

“I'm not at all excited for PSU's bowl game, though I'll muster up fake interest for the benefit of my boys (8 and 10), and to have an excuse to sit and watch sports with them.”

Your words, not mine.

LOLz ... wut? Not being excited for a bowl game has NOTHING to do with whether or not I care about or follow PSU football. I mean, really. Wut? I watched every regular season game. What does not being excited for a glorified exhibition promoting a system that stands in the way of the enlarged playoff structure I'd like to see implemented have to do with whether or not I care about or follow PSU football?

WOW.

Let's remember that you called my parenting into question after that comment. As if, somehow, spending time with your boys watching football, even if the game wasn't exciting to you, personally, would reflect poorly on your parenting.

You're off your rocker, dude. Drama, indeed.

Last edited:
Tommy suffers from the “I think I’m sexy and therefore coveted by everyone” syndrome.

Whatever,

Drama Tommy

In regard to Point #2: He certainly doesn't throw jump-ball passes either. He got much more zip on the ball than others I've seen.

Thanks for the response...”Planted friend of the Stevens family” :rolleyes:

What's your issue with Tommy??? I'd take him over Hurts or anyone else out there. He already knows the system, gives us an outstanding insurance policy, and may be a better all around athlete than any other backup QB in the country.

Heck. Why go somewhere else when you will probably be the starter here after Trace leaves?

If it's me, with all the talent we are putting together, I stay right where I'm at. I might follow Mike Leach, but there ain't no way I'm leaving the potential gold mine I'm in right now. Heaven forbid Trace goes down, I am a two year starter right where I'm at without having to audition for the job.

Reactions: The Shelter
What's your issue with Tommy??? I'd take him over Hurts or anyone else out there. He already knows the system, gives us an outstanding insurance policy, and may be a better all around athlete than any other backup QB in the country.

Heck. Why go somewhere else when you will probably be the starter here after Trace leaves?

If it's me, with all the talent we are putting together, I stay right where I'm at. I might follow Mike Leach, but there ain't no way I'm leaving the potential gold mine I'm in right now. Heaven forbid Trace goes down, I am a two year starter right where I'm at without having to audition for the job.
He's got NFL level talent, and he's not playing much.

Would you want to go for a chance to start somewhere for two years vs staying for a realistic chance to start for only one? I know what I would do- what he does is up to him.

But I sure wouldn't blame him for looking at options- or for taking one of those options.

Reactions: TheGLOV
at a school that has a program that PSU does NOT offer, AND he has to be qualified to be admitted to that new academic program. for for example if you want to attend a school and study Russian as a grad student (and PSU does not offer it) then you need to meet the entrance requirements of the new school in that academic program. the grad transfer was never meant to be a free agent system.

still if he thinks he is not going to get a fair shot to win/play QB then he is history.

That's not what Harbaugh told me.

at a school that has a program that PSU does NOT offer, AND he has to be qualified to be admitted to that new academic program. for for example if you want to attend a school and study Russian as a grad student (and PSU does not offer it) then you need to meet the entrance requirements of the new school in that academic program.
I don't think it is difficult for a school to concoct a unique grad program like Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis for which anyone with a degree elsewhere would qualify for admission

I don't understand the criticism of Stevens. Stevens has every right to explore his options. QBs don't typically stick around if they aren't going to play. Especially kids as talented as Tommy. He's done everything asked of him and I've never heard any complaints. When he was on the field he seemed to be enjoying it and making the best of the situations. If he graduates and can find an opportunity where he may be able to start for two years I won't blame him for a second for taking that opportunity. I'll wish him the best--in every game that we don't play them. We love to claim "it's about the kids not winning" but as soon as the kid wants to do something to better himself many turn on them. It just doesn't make sense.

Tommy suffers from the “I think I’m sexy and therefore coveted by everyone” syndrome.

Whatever,

Drama Tommy
Who would blame him? He fulfilled his obligation to Dear Ole State. He graduated in 3 years. If he feels he can go somewhere and start for two years, more power to him. I didn't hate Pat Devlin. I'm not going to hate Tommy.

This could possibly be a dumb question but I am not educated thoroughly on transfer rules.

Would we know of a Stevens transfer before or after spring ball? Technically, he doesn't graduate until May, so the transfer announcement wouldn't come until after spring practice, summer 2018?

I don't understand the criticism of Stevens. Stevens has every right to explore his options. QBs don't typically stick around if they aren't going to play. Especially kids as talented as Tommy. He's done everything asked of him and I've never heard any complaints. When he was on the field he seemed to be enjoying it and making the best of the situations. If he graduates and can find an opportunity where he may be able to start for two years I won't blame him for a second for taking that opportunity. I'll wish him the best--in every game that we don't play them. We love to claim "it's about the kids not winning" but as soon as the kid wants to do something to better himself many turn on them. It just doesn't make sense.
hell...people still complain about Hack.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
This guy could make some interesting football for Tommy.

th
He's a character and coached-up the T Tech to most winning coach I believe.

IDK. INMO he's a "system" coach. Which is great for college but none of his QB's have done much, if anything, in the pros.

Why wouldn't he entertain offers and listen to other coaches? He's a highly desirable player who will be a backup next year with the potential to start immediately elsewhere. Doesn't necessarily mean he leaves, but nobody should hold it against him if he does. It certainly makes sense for him to be considering options.

So, the kid can’t follow who he wants on Twitter because it may get some Board members’ panties in a bunch? The way I see it, the ones running to post on the Board who he is following are creating the drama, not him.

+1000. Just like Micah Parsons. :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't he entertain offers and listen to other coaches? He's a highly desirable player who will be a backup next year with the potential to start immediately elsewhere. Doesn't necessarily mean he leaves, but nobody should hold it against him if he does. It certainly makes sense for him to be considering options.

I don't think he can until he graduates. I don't think he can even talk to other coaches. I could be wrong here but I think other coaches calling him or talking to him isn't in the cards until he has the sheepskin. And that makes it a little problematic since he won't graduate until after spring ball; in May. So he'd have to talk to coaches, make the switch, get moved, learn a new system and report in August for camp. At that point, he may be better off to just stay, see what happens with Trace and then start in 2019.

I don't think he can until he graduates. I don't think he can even talk to other coaches. I could be wrong here but I think other coaches calling him or talking to him isn't in the cards until he has the sheepskin. And that makes it a little problematic since he won't graduate until after spring ball; in May. So he'd have to talk to coaches, make the switch, get moved, learn a new system and report in August for camp. At that point, he may be better off to just stay, see what happens with Trace and then start in 2019.

Staying is a risk--there's no guarantee he starts in 2019. It's going to be difficult to turn the reigns over to a guy for one year IMO. He'd have to be significantly ahead of everyone else--not just better. If he's happy here he should stay...if he wants to compete for an opportunity to start for 2 years I think he should jump. All what's best for him and what he wants.

Reactions: Obliviax
Staying is a risk--there's no guarantee he starts in 2019.

Leaving is risky too. No guarantee he starts there either. Franklin and his system look secure at PSU through 2019 and beyond. No guarantees on coaching stability at another school either.

I'd have to believe Franklin is honest with Stevens. He's not going to tell him he's going to start in 2019 if he isn't. Stevens also knows how he compares to Clifford / Zembiec already. Probably less risk in staying if he feels he's ahead of them.

Reactions: sluggo72
Staying is a risk--there's no guarantee he starts in 2019. It's going to be difficult to turn the reigns over to a guy for one year IMO. He'd have to be significantly ahead of everyone else--not just better. If he's happy here he should stay...if he wants to compete for an opportunity to start for 2 years I think he should jump. All what's best for him and what he wants.

Sorry but that is one dumb post.

Stevens will have been here for 4 years by the time he is a redshirt senior, he has worked hard and he has been a team player from day 1. If Franklin thinks Stevens is the best player at QB and gives us the best chance to win, he will start, end of story. In fact, his experience and having 4 years in the program makes it much more likely that he will start even if the next man up is playing just as good as Stevens in practice. Experience matters, especially at QB.

I would be surprised if Franklin hasn't already guaranteed Stevens that he will be the starting QB as redshirt senior if he stays.

Leaving is risky too. No guarantee he starts there either. Franklin and his system look secure at PSU through 2019 and beyond. No guarantees on coaching stability at another school either.

I'd have to believe Franklin is honest with Stevens. He's not going to tell him he's going to start in 2019 if he isn't. Stevens also knows how he compares to Clifford / Zembiec already. Probably less risk in staying if he feels he's ahead of them.

Right--every decision carries risk. I don't think Franklin is going to say anything to Stevens about what will happen in 2019. Someone not even on campus yet could win the job

So you think they will give him a better guarantee to start at another school, where he hasn't stepped on the field once, than he would have here, where he's a known quantity? I don't buy that. Nobody is guaranteeing him anything anywhere. He's not Tom Brady.

Anything he does is a gamble. He will have to pick his poison.

Stevens will have been here for 4 years by the time he is a senior, he has worked hard and he has been a team player from day 1. If Franklin thinks Stevens is the best player at QB and gives us the best chance to win, he will start, end of story. In fact, his experience and having 4 years in the program makes it much more likely that he will start even if the next man up is playing just as good as Stevens in practice. Experience matters, especially at QB.

I would be surprised if Franklin hasn't already guaranteed Stevens that he will be the starting QB as redshirt senior if he stays.

It is idiotic to guarantee anyone a starting job 2 years from now. That absolutely has not happened. I love when people claim someone else made a "dumb post" then they post one of the dumbest things anyone could ever say on this board.

You make it sound like TS is getting a lot of criticism, he's not, at least on this board. In this thread you have ONE poster who has a bug up his ass about him.

It is idiotic to guarantee anyone a starting job 2 years from now. That absolutely has not happened. I love when people claim someone else made a "dumb post" then they post one of the dumbest things anyone could ever say on this board.

I disagree. If Stevens is currently far ahead of our third best QB (which I believe his is right now) and we are at risk of losing him to a graduate transfer, it is idiotic not to make the guarantee. In the absence of Stevens leaving, getting injured or breaking team rules, he is going to be our starter in 2019. He will have earned it if he stays. If it takes a guarantee to keep him here, so be it. Obviously, guaranteeing him a starting spot does not mean that he will keep it if he doesn't perform in the games.

You make it sound like TS is getting a lot of criticism, he's not, at least on this board. In this thread you have ONE poster who has a bug up his ass about him.

He's been getting a decent amount of heat on this board for no reason just not in this thread and, if he does leave, watch the cowards come out

I disagree. If Stevens is currently far ahead of our third best QB (which I believe his is right now) and we are at risk of losing him to a graduate transfer, it is idiotic not to make the guarantee. In the absence of Stevens leaving, getting injured or breaking team rules, he is going to be our starter in 2019. He will have earned it if he stays. If it takes a guarantee to keep him here, so be it. Obviously, guaranteeing him a starting spot does not mean that he will keep it if he doesn't perform in the games.

So, you're not going to acknowledge that other players could develop and pass him over the course of the next 18 months? It is idiotic to make a guarantee that you can't guarantee. The best QB should play. If that's Stevens then he'll start. if it isn't then he won't. You're last sentence is great--so he's guaranteeing him something but only "if" he performs. Come on man.

Any coach that tells any kid they're guaranteed to start in 2019 today is lying to protect his team and not putting the kid first

Stevens will have been here for 4 years by the time he is a redshirt senior, he has worked hard and he has been a team player from day 1. If Franklin thinks Stevens is the best player at QB and gives us the best chance to win, he will start, end of story. In fact, his experience and having 4 years in the program makes it much more likely that he will start even if the next man up is playing just as good as Stevens in practice. Experience matters, especially at QB.

How can Franklin guarantee the starting job to Stevens? Even if Stevens is currently ahead of the other quarterbacks, no one knows what the competition will look like in 2019. It would be unfair to Stevens and the other quarterbacks to make a guarantee like that. I also don’t think that’s how Franklin handles things. My sense of Franklin is he expects every player to give it his all each day, every day on and off the field and then a player earns the starting role or doesn’t when the time comes. Nothing is guaranteed.

So, you're not going to acknowledge that other players could develop and pass him over the course of the next 18 months? It is idiotic to make a guarantee that you can't guarantee. The best QB should play. If that's Stevens then he'll start. if it isn't then he won't. You're last sentence is great--so he's guaranteeing him something but only "if" he performs. Come on man.

Any coach that tells any kid they're guaranteed to start in 2019 today is lying to protect his team and not putting the kid first

Stevens is believed to be almost as good (if not as good) as McSorley. If McSorley were going to be be here in 2019, I think Franklin would guarantee him the starting job in 2019 to keep him from transferring. Given that Stevens talents are perceived to be almost as good as McSorley's, making the guarantee is a no brainer.

If Stevens is the starter at the beginning of 2019, Franklin will have kept his promise. If Stevens plays his way out of the starting position on the field, he will have no one to blame but himself.

Looking at the Hack situation from where I'm sitting, CJF seems to have demonstrated loyalty to those who've walked the walk and sacrificed for the program and team. I think this whole thread has way too many folks doing way too many mental gymnastics in re: Tommy. Chose to reply to yours because your first sentence described many earlier posts.

With this, I hereby boycott this Tommy Wazzu thread beginning now. I wish him all the best and hope he stays.

Reactions: WPB_lion
ADVERTISEMENT