ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Ryan takes a shot at PSU on the tweeter machine

dunkej01

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Is he making a valid argument or just doing his best to gin up fan reaction since duals matter at tO$U?

Reactions: pish69
You'd think this is what Tan Tom would want, less people seeing the Buckheads getting their asses handed to them.

Reactions: razorsedgeCE
Nothing there...don't disagree (for all fan's sake), though a couple seconds of checking, and one can see the conflicts (with basketball). Question is...could the date/time been changed to get the larger venue? Suspect they did, and couldn't make anything work...remember, the Big Ten Network is also involved.

And to be honest, I don't understand the Tom-bashing on this one. Take the "not how we would handled it" comment out, and all I'm reading is that more fans (including a lot more Buck fans than can get tickets for Rec Hall), can attend the dual. That's a good thing.

Not sure how I feel about Floreani defending us, but... I'm sure the desires of Ohio State fans was a huge factor in this decision.

Nothing there...don't disagree (for all fan's sake)

Oh Roar. I disagree with you 100% on this. This is Coach Ryan playing mind games with potential recruits. It’s “hey look, if you come to tOSU we do it “right.” We promote and have huge events when we wrestle PSU and other top programs.

I would love to see Cael tweet back at him..”since you don’t think duals matter we kept you in our smaller venue”. Our fans can enjoy it

Nothing there...don't disagree (for all fan's sake), though a couple seconds of checking, and one can see the conflicts (with basketball). Question is...could the date/time been changed to get the larger venue? Suspect they did, and couldn't make anything work...remember, the Big Ten Network is also involved.

And to be honest, I don't understand the Tom-bashing on this one. Take the "not how we would handled it" comment out, and all I'm reading is that more fans (including a lot more Buck fans than can get tickets for Rec Hall), can attend the dual. That's a good thing.
I think it was exactly his holier than thou approach of not how they would handle it... he is just having flashbacks from the last time they were in Rec Hall, long bus ride, average officials and a Steiner loss...

Oh Roar. I disagree with you 100% on this. This is Coach Ryan playing mind games with potential recruits. It’s “hey look, if you come to tOSU we do it “right.” We promote and have huge events when we wrestle PSU and other top programs.

I would love to see Cael tweet back at him..”since you don’t think duals matter we kept you in our smaller venue”. Our fans can enjoy it

Big Ten scheduled Iowa at PSU in hoops and OSU in Wrestling the same day......Tom Crying Ryan.

What a jerk.

But he did say it Roar, so the bashing is well deserved in this case.

Yeah OK because there’s no emotion in sports. Got it

This wasn’t an interview where he was asked his thoughts. This is him going to public “social media”
Again, so what? I'm sure he's hearing it from his fan base, tons of frustration about not being able to get tickets. His response...a

My only point was...more fans attending a dual is always a good thing. Don't make it about anything more than that.

But he did say it Roar, so the bashing is well deserved in this case.
It's not all about the bashing. It's about the message he's sending. Bash away, but also listen to the message. Our fans (non-season ticket holders) are frustrated too that they can't see the dual in person. Maybe I see that more than most, as I'm guessing I interact with our fans overall more than anyone on this board.

And I suspect he's hearing it too...from a fan base that wants to see the dual live. In fact, if I was a betting man, I'd bet dollars-to-donuts they're frustrated too.

Appears my posts, among some, aren't very popular. That's ok. At the end of the day, one element that gives me solace, and other fans too, is that it's covered by the Big Ten Network.

Can you get the dual, T??

Last edited:
I disagree too, Ryan just playing to the recruits and Ohio State fans. PSU could have sold 16K tickets for this dual probably at a premium price more than offsetting the rent of the Jordan Center, adding a nice bump in revenue for the PSU wrestling program.

If the dual could have been held at the BJC, it seems logical that PSU would have done it. BTN probably a factor too, they will probably get a nice ratings bump for the match.

For this dual, I can get the frustration by fans. I'm a lucky season ticket holder for this season only (bought them off of someone who couldn't make it this year). So I know what it's like to want to come to every dual, but only get to a hand full. That said, if PSU decided to always wrestle in the BJC I would be sad. Rec is just such a better venue. And part of that is the extent of its partisanship. It's an asset, and I think we should keep it. That said, if 2 or 3 duals were at BJC a year, I'd get it, and be OK w/ it. All the same, I'm stoked OSU is in rec this year, and it will be very hostile for them. Even more stoked that I'll be there.

Reactions: garw and Gebmo
Brands: We do things the right way unlike some other schools.
Ryan: Not the way we would've handled it.

Surely coincidental that they're using material from the same 3 inch binder.

The biggest surprise about him taking shots is that the tweet didn't come from Aruba.

As far as BJC letting many more Ohio State fans get tickets: he should fill his own arena first. Many more Ohio State fans could've gotten tickets for Iowa last week but didn't. At home. It's long bus ride to State College.

I love it. Bring the drama! Need more coaching spats!

Can see both sides -- don't really have an issue with what he says, from an O$U side, he's "right." (Assuming you ignore the whole basketball complication thing). And like Flo said, it IS more beneficial for PSU to not be at the BJC and create an insane atmosphere.

Reactions: Ja1339
I love it. Bring the drama! Need more coaching spats!

Can see both sides -- don't really have an issue with what he says, from an O$U side, he's "right." (Assuming you ignore the whole basketball complication thing). And like Flo said, it IS more beneficial for PSU to not be at the BJC and create an insane atmosphere.
Except one can’t ignore the whole basketball thing.....unless the hoops game started at 10 am. ( I honestly don’t know the logistics of turning BJC around as required.) We don’t control the schedule. The only way you control a schedule is to fake an injury so you can score more points in wrestle backs. Or beg people to come out and sits starters.

I think it is a fair comment by Ryan. I had the same discussion with him in an airport the spring of 2016. I asked him if the 2017 dual would be in a bigger venue to allow the PSU fans to attend. He told me that he would do everything that he could to secure the larger arena for the match. Guess what, he got it done.

I am not sure what obstacles Ryan had then and Cael has now. Maybe it was just impossible this time. I don't see how you can not agree that the BJC would have been better venue for the wrestling fans.

Reactions: garw
Is anyone else completely ok with not doing things as Tan Tom would do? I wonder if he will treat the Rec Hall fans to a Hall vs Backup match again. I know the O$U crowd was super pumped to see the backup get mixer'd and put the dual out of reach last year. This guy is bad for the sport in a lot of ways and I'm not sure where the love affair is with him. His Star Wrestler that doesn't even train in the room came out last year after his classless Twitter post about Zain not deserving the Hodge. Snyder tweeted right away and said the right guy won the award. Too bad some of Snyder's class never wore off on Tan Boy.

I think it is a fair comment by Ryan. I had the same discussion with him in an airport the spring of 2016. I asked him if the 2017 dual would be in a bigger venue to allow the PSU fans to attend. He told me that he would do everything that he could to secure the larger arena for the match. Guess what, he got it done.

I am not sure what obstacles Ryan had then and Cael has now. Maybe it was just impossible this time. I don't see how you can not agree that the BJC would have been better venue for the wrestling fans.
Sometimes you can get things done, sometimes you can't. I have no idea if Cael was interested in having the dual in the BJC. I believe originally the Ohio State and Iowa duals were scheduled for the weekend, that is anywhere from Friday through Sunday. The date is then selected based upon several factors:

1. Facility availability
2. BTN scheduling

If BTN said the match was going to be on Saturday for their programming purposes, guess what, the match is on Saturday if a facility is available.

PSU men's basketball is scheduled for 6:00 PM at the BJC on 2/3 which is also on BTN. Women's basketball is scheduled for 2:00 PM at the BJC on 2/4. Basically that leaves Friday 2/2 as the only possibility for the wrestling match. Checking the BTN TV schedule, they have Notre Dame and Penn State ice hockey on 2/2 at 6:30 PM with the Minnesota and Iowa wrestling match at 9:00 PM.

I think BTN requirements is a lot bigger factor in the wrestling match being in Rec than anything Cael may have wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolflake

What's disconcerting is the lack of integrity demonstrated by taking to public media to pontificate how you would have done it better. He has a well deserved reputation for whining and continues to add fuel to that fire by making this type of unnecessary and nonconstructive comments.

Is he making a valid argument or just doing his best to gin up fan reaction since duals matter at tO$U?

Screw him... last time we wrestled them there the PSWC bus trip went and I was on it.. they gave us essentially obstructed view seats to the point where we could not see the matches.. had to get up and go to the nose bleed seats and find empties just to be able to watch..

Reactions: dmbecker
Ryan had none except internal paperwork. Ohio State men's hoops was away last weekend and women's hoops had the weekend off.

Screw him... last time we wrestled them there the PSWC bus trip went and I was on it.. they gave us essentially obstructed view seats to the point where we could not see the matches.. had to get up and go to the nose bleed seats and find empties just to be able to watch..
He had empty seats for you to go to.

Not the way we would've handled it.

going into the year Cael knew this would be a tight match--Rec hall is much loader and more intimidating then BJC---he knew what he was doing!

Rule 1 in Gentleman's ball busting. If someone busts your balls first....it's fair game to return the favor. And when is some good natured Tom bashing ever a bad thing?

ADVERTISEMENT