149 8 Max Murin
157 10 Kaleb Young
165 2 Alex Marinelli
174 1 Michael Kemerer
184 10 Abe Assad
197 6 Jacob Warner
285 3 Anthony Cassioppi
And, so it begins.

Is Bartlett worth starting this year to move up RBY and Lee? Verkleeren clearly doesn't have it.

I would think Beard would end up too 8, Kerk top 4

hoping Brady is healthy as he should be top 6

Curious if Verk goes or if someone unseats him.

Kemerer has been around forever; at least since since '15 ... and it feels like 1915

PSU in at 5th at 60 pts with this lineup

125 NR Open
133 3 Roman-Bravo Young
141 3 Nick Lee
149 17 Jarod Verkleeren
157 14 Brady Berge
165 8 Joe Lee
174 6 Carter Starocci
184 4 Aaron Brooks
197 15 Michael Beard
285 10 Greg Kerkvliet

Iowa #1 at 116.5 pts. with this lineup

125 1 Spencer Lee
133 4 Austin DeSanto
141 2 Jaydin Eierman
149 8 Max Murin
157 10 Kaleb Young
165 2 Alex Marinelli
174 1 Michael Kemerer
184 10 Abe Assad
197 6 Jacob Warner
285 3 Anthony Cassioppi
Marinelli #2????

Rankings are not predictions, something that is debatable, but that's how they've been handled. In the long run, after the wrestlers have had a chance to show it on the mat, we will find that:
Kerkvliet > Cassioppi
N Lee > Eierman
Beard > Warner
RBY > DeSanto
That's just for starters...

He’s prolly a finalist at either weight. What does VT’s lineup look like, I think he’ll go wherever benefits the team more.
VT's lineup is much better with Lewis at 165.

But what we don't know is if Robie has Cael's philosophy, that the very best guys pick their weights and everyone else adjusts. If so, we don't know which weigh Lewis prefers.

All evidence points to him going 165, so that's my assumption until proven otherwise.

Rankings are not predictions, something that is debatable, but that's how they've been handled. In the long run, after the wrestlers have had a chance to show it on the mat, we will find that:
Kerkvliet > Cassioppi
N Lee > Eierman
Beard > Warner
RBY > DeSanto
That's just for starters...
Tap if you think RBY finishes higher.

p8KO3y.gif

I'm curious, what were DT, Ruth, Zain, Nolf, Bo ranked coming in as freshman?

I'll temper my expectations but .... history says we should be very optimistic about Joe Lee, Carter Starocci, Michael Beard and Greg Kerkvliet.

I can see Lee and Beard taking some lumps during the season only to have their moment in March.

I'll temper my expectations but .... history says we should be very optimistic about Joe Lee, Carter Starocci, Michael Beard and Greg Kerkvliet.

I can see Lee and Beard taking some lumps during the season only to have their moment in March.

Oooh, oooh, I've got some of these! I didn't really learn how to properly score team points in tourneys til 2011 B1Gs, so I don't have Taylor or Ruth's preseason rankings, although I remember following Taylor's progression up the ladder on Intermat's rankings in 2011 & think I remember him in the teens before he rolled through the Scuffle. Probably similar for Ruth, before he took Lewnes down 3 times. I think Zain's big Streeeblererrr win was in Dec of 2013? He obviously skyrocketed after that, but I don't have other data for him.

But I do have preseason rankings ahead of the 2016 season:
7gQ6PYb.png

Recall that Nolf showed out better at the 2015 season's Scuffle, beating Realbuto, Tommy Gantt, Russell Parsons, before bowing to James Green 7-4 in the finals. Guessing Ian Miller may have been #2 behind IMar in some of those services?

Nickal won 2 bouts before losing to Andy McCulley in TB2 4-3 in the 3rd round, then MFF'd out. Ahead of him in the rankings were Bo Jordan (#1, after finishing 3rd at 165 in 2015), Realbuto (who'd jumped 2 weight classes after getting majored by IMar in the 2015 157lb finals, and who Nickal beat in the ensuing Scuffle, in that wild 14-7 DEC, to give notice to the country), Kyle Crutchmer & Zach Epperly (another soon-to-be victim, in the dual in Blacksburg).

Here's Iowa & OkSt rankings from the same date, 2015 0117:
7IjEnkf.png

And here are tOSU & Cornell just for fun:
0cqIAOE.png

Last edited:
Oooh, oooh, I've got some of these! I didn't really learn how to properly score team points in tourneys til 2011 B1Gs, so I don't have Taylor or Ruth's preseason rankings, although I remember following Taylor's progression up the ladder on Intermat's rankings in 2011 & think I remember him in the teens before he rolled through the Scuffle. Probably similar for Ruth, before he took Lewnes down 3 times. I think Zain's big Streeeblererrr win was in Dec of 2013? He obviously skyrocketed after that, but I don't have other data for him.

y4phb6Y6kU99_0ASkj8Nsrzn9E7D-8HSAo5ZtWe1EmjcRRwUVu9DNEcUY5BpvbOv-isdNY-A-BUs8CZnWYoJhkbV78TULJSrA1aNMlmSZqq5SwFVF2JigIYEtIcGqx8nVGbMfqnz8nM-DCAcC7g8iTIc2-26d1ftiYZjR7nH0Y-rUjp4m5ipwHj5aIfbnDgB_yMXKWfwk8LYVreNpLuMU5h0Gp4Ivp-VUxwF35BUBvIdxI

Recall that Nolf showed out better at the 2015 season's Scuffle, beating Realbuto, Tommy Gantt, Russell Parsons, before bowing to James Green 7-4 in the finals. Guessing Ian Miller may have been #2 behind IMar in some of those services?

Nickal won 2 bouts before losing to Andy McCulley in TB2 4-3 in the 3rd round, then MFF'd out. Ahead of him in the rankings were Bo Jordan (#1, after finishing 3rd at 165 in 2015), Realbuto (who'd jumped 2 weight classes after getting majored by IMar in the 2015 157lb finals, and who Nickal beat in the ensuing Scuffle, in that wild 14-7 DEC, to give notice to the country), Kyle Crutchmer & Zach Epperly (another soon-to-be victim, in the dual in Blacksburg).

2015%201117%20iowa%20okst.png

2015%201117%20tosu%20cornell.png

Anyone else having trouble viewing the posted images?

Reactions: PSU_Pride_93

Here are the PSU freshman All Americans in the Cael era with their pre-season freshman rankings and the points they scored at NCAAs freshman year:

Taylor - 6th ranked, 19.5 points
Ruth - 13th ranked, 18.5 points
Megaludis - 19th ranked, 18 points
D Alton - unranked (Intermat), 15.5 points
Retherford - 13th ranked*, 12 points
Nolf - 5th ranked, 22 points
Nickal - unranked, 18 points
Joseph - unranked, 23 points
Hall - unranked, 22.5 points
N Lee - unranked, 11.5 points

* I can't find preseason rankings from 2013, but in late November (when he was already 7-0), Retherford was ranked 13th by USA Wrestling (Here's the link: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestli...2013/November/6/Week-1-DI-individual-rankings)

The take away for me ... preseason rankings don't have much to do with what happens in March.

Here are the PSU freshman All Americans in the Cael era with their pre-season freshman rankings and the points they scored at NCAAs freshman year:

Taylor - 6th ranked, 19.5 points
Ruth - 13th ranked, 18.5 points
Megaludis - 19th ranked, 18 points
D Alton - unranked (Intermat), 15.5 points
Retherford - 13th ranked*, 12 points
Nolf - 5th ranked, 22 points
Nickal - unranked, 18 points
Joseph - unranked, 23 points
Hall - unranked, 22.5 points
N Lee - unranked, 11.5 points

* I can't find preseason rankings from 2013, but in late November (when he was already 7-0), Retherford was ranked 13th by USA Wrestling (Here's the link: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestli...2013/November/6/Week-1-DI-individual-rankings)

The take away for me ... preseason rankings don't have much to do with what happens in March.

Hall and Lee started their seasons in redshirt. Their first in-season rankings after their shirts were burned would be a better comparison.

Also, Mega and Zain started as true freshmen which also skews the comparison with the current roster of freshmen that all redshirted and have in-season tournament experience.

There have been many times when images don't show up for me. Sometimes they will randomly show up later.

Well, puhp! Here I was all excited to #contribute to the #discourse, and I went back to Freshman year of Internet School and jacked it all up.

Yeah, it depends on how well / where the images are hosted. I tried OneDrive at first, which proved problematic.

So, now I've re-hosted them in old reliable Imgur, and updated the post with links to them there.

Would any of y'all give this ole internet newb another chance?

7gQ6PYb.png

7IjEnkf.png

0cqIAOE.png

Hi Friends! Can you see my pretty pictures now? Please come back and try?

Reactions: hlstone
I'd be interested to know where our team has been ranked the last 10 preseasons. Flo? InterMat? TOM?

And what is the internet for, after all, if not stretching? Warning, gratuitous stretching alert!
2WnM7Nyb.jpg
Ouch!! That is some flexibility there. As I have gotten older all those old wrestling injuries sure have taken their toll. My flexibility is nearly non-existent nowadays. Thanks for re-posting the charts, bright pretty colors and all! Even though I am now retired and have more time to research technological questions, I still have a love/hate relationship with technology. Something about old dogs and new tricks . . .

ADVERTISEMENT