ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Brands with an interesting comment on PSU ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
On Monday, Brands was at the Siouxland I-Club dinner. In a Sioux City Journal article about the event (accessible at THIS LINK), Brands is quoting as saying the following:

"Penn State, redshirting four pretty dang good guys to put their best team on the mat the following year, that sends a message that they’re all in,’’ said Brands. “Maybe some would say the challenge is insurmountable, but we’re not going to roll over and let ‘em scratch our belly, either."

I did get a kick out of that comment. Brands is fun to listen to.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Classic Tom Brands. He's the enemy... but you have to love his perspective. :)

Reactions: psualt
Any belly scratching going on here? I can't see Q's right hand ...

quentin-wright-s-nasty-pin-o.gif

I have been sitting here watching that clip for about 5 minutes now! AHAH One of my favorite wrestling moments of all time! I was listening to it on the radio while driving home from a birthday party, and I just about wrecked my car.

I have been sitting here watching that clip for about 5 minutes now! AHAH One of my favorite wrestling moments of all time! I was listening to it on the radio while driving home from a birthday party, and I just about wrecked my car.

I was sitting next to Cody Sanderson, asst. Penn State wrestling coach & we nearly jumped to the Wells Fargo ceiling high fiv'ing each other after Q pinned Gambrall. Moment I'll never forget.

Q ragdolled him about a minute before that as well. I really hope Nickal is learning some tricks from Q. Q was electric when he was wrestling loose and going for it.

Reactions: PHClub
Maybe even a few more. Almost unbelievable reviews coming out about Nickal from inside the room this spring. Guy is going to be fun to watch.

And I second everyone here: Q pinning Gambrall there is probably the most excited I've seen the coaches matside outside of a final. That was just huge.
That is great to hear Tim. We have a lot to look forward to this fall.

The picture of Cael ready to hit the mat has been my screen saver for years! My seats were the same angle as the clip above

Reactions: Pocono Lion
We were in a box that had a nice view. Jumped up so quick when Q. hit that move, I was dizzy and saw spots. Don't think I have ever seen so much emotion out of Cael during a match. I always consider that the clincher for the championship even though I think Ruth officially sealed the deal.

I was in a box as well. Had refreshments earlier in the day at McFadden's, and I didn't process what was happening as well as I would have liked. Nonetheless, I saw Q. stick him. That tournament had 2 of those memorable moments that stick with you. One was good. One was bad. With Q being the good, you can figure the bad.

Maybe even a few more. Almost unbelievable reviews coming out about Nickal from inside the room this spring. Guy is going to be fun to watch.

And I second everyone here: Q pinning Gambrall there is probably the most excited I've seen the coaches matside outside of a final. That was just huge.

Great to hear thanks Tim, would love to hear more about these fresh studs, but that's great to hear..Gonna be a fun season. Can't wait

Shows the class this coaching staff has... I was in the middle of a discussion with Cody about the match and it's significance. And yes, Ed Ruth did seal the championship with his win against Mack Lewnes for 3rd. Cody Sanderson was so kind after we had our wild celebration that he turned to me and kindly asked to excuse himself from what we were talking about so he could congratulate his wrestler as Q headed for the tunnel. Pure class and a phenomenal person to talk to.

I had the best seat in the house for the Q/Gambrill match. Right next to the "Hat Lady" who leads the Hawkeye cheers then throws her hat.

We talked quite a bit during the wrestling and I expressed hopeful excitement that Q could win and she simply said Q will turn around what happened in their dual Quite insightful on her part.

Admit my opinion of Hawkeye fans has increased significantly since that point, though every programs has a few "goof balls" in their fan base

I had the best seat in the house for the Q/Gambrill match. Right next to the "Hat Lady" who leads the Hawkeye cheers then throws her hat.

We talked quite a bit during the wrestling and I expressed hopeful excitement that Q could win and she simply said Q will turn around what happened in their dual Quite insightful on her part.

Admit my opinion of Hawkeye fans has increased significantly since that point, though every programs has a few "goof balls" in their fan base[/QUOTE

Sorry for my inexperience, but where can I go to get a video of this match showing Q's putting him down and Cale's reaction?

...where is that guy who said that Cael was such an unemotional coach?...;)

Every time I watch that clip, I see something new. This time, I saw Sammie Henson and Jack Spates in the background (they're behind the trainer). Spates was watching the other mat and did his best Mike Evans impersonation: ho hum, a pin, let me get back to the mat I'm watching.

Henson was pretty fired up -- he DEFINITELY saw it.

And, until this thread, I had never noticed Casey grabbing Cael's sleeve during the mat slap. Malone, thanks for posting that pic!

Quentin Wright's overhead standing cradle truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

Reactions: amalone
Q showed a lot of patience in that match. Gambrall kept trying to back up to the edge and Q just held his ground in the center circle. It paid off for him because he ultimately needed a lot of space to land that big move.

Every time I watch that clip, I see something new. This time, I saw Sammie Henson and Jack Spates in the background (they're behind the trainer). Spates was watching the other mat and did his best Mike Evans impersonation: ho hum, a pin, let me get back to the mat I'm watching.

Henson was pretty fired up -- he DEFINITELY saw it.

And, until this thread, I had never noticed Casey grabbing Cael's sleeve during the mat slap. Malone, thanks for posting that pic!

Quentin Wright's overhead standing cradle truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

El Jefe... I pick up the same small subtle details that easily could have been missed.

That pin by Q and his win over Dustin Kilgore with all on the line are magical moments I can't articulate into meaning of scale and scope. They transcend any words I may use.

ADVERTISEMENT