ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Bradly-UCLA

1. Hard to believe how consistently average (or below) UCLA is, year in and year out. I know USC gets the lions share of the Cali talent, but you'd think there would be enough "left over" that UCLA would have 8 or 9 wins every season.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Mora is bad.... OMG. Talent is there. Bradley's ship has sailed. Bend but don't break defenses can't beat the spread with one weeks notice....

Bradley may not make it to the end of the season. Mora may start trying to save his skin and Bradley could easily be the first to go.

They are a one trick pony with Their QB. No running game. No defense, at all. But he will not see the end of the year as he will get dinged up and then sit it out to preserve his Not For Long draft status.

Today's QB's are too good to beat with bend but don't break and playing soft zones and keeping everything in front of you. If you look at some of Bradley's defenses while at PSU, when they played good QB's that were on, PSU gave up huge amounts of points. Bradley's blitz schemes were pretty simplistic also and those defenses relied on pressure from the front 4. When PSU had good Dlines and a dominant pash rush end, the defense did OK.

Today's QB's are too good to beat with bend but don't break and playing soft zones and keeping everything in front of you. If you look at some of Bradley's defenses while at PSU, when they played good QB's that were on, PSU gave up huge amounts of points. Bradley's blitz schemes were pretty simplistic also and those defenses relied on pressure from the front 4. When PSU had good Dlines and a dominant pash rush end, the defense did OK.

Yep. His style of D NEEDS a very good front 7 - and even then always struggled against spread-style offenses. Luckily for us, back when Bradley was our DC, we didn't encounter them as much.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
I remember when so many on this board wanted the "interim" tag removed and Bradley named the HC at PSU. Apparently we needed a successor to Paterno who was a Paterno guy and a Penn State guy. Honestly, what were those people thinking?

Bradley's defense is very similar in design to the Norm Parker defense at Iowa. They will give up yards easily between the 20s but they make you earn it, and then the going gets tough in the red zone. As we saw Saturday, it can work even against a gifted offense.

Bradley's schemes worked really well for 15 years against traditional pro-style defenses in the Big Ten. But the PAC is different now. So's every other conference. Football is changing. When you have a gifted QB and a good OL and 3 high quality receivers -- zone schemes are probably not the way to go. You have to have corners who can play man and you have to do some blitzing.

It's also personnel. Because he played so much zone, Bradley almost never recruited top tier corners. So when they ended up against a gifted QB with high quality receivers like USC in 2008, they just got undressed. A lot of good defenses were overmatched against that USC team but Bradley's scheme was completely ineffective.

I remember when so many on this board wanted the "interim" tag removed and Bradley named the HC at PSU. Apparently we needed a successor to Paterno who was a Paterno guy and a Penn State guy. Honestly, what were those people thinking?

Yeah I don't know who hired O'Brien and Franklin but they were both great hires. Did the PSU AD at the time have anything to do with it? Just curious.

Bradley's defense is very similar in design to the Norm Parker defense at Iowa. They will give up yards easily between the 20s but they make you earn it, and then the going gets tough in the red zone. As we saw Saturday, it can work even against a gifted offense.

Bradley's schemes worked really well for 15 years against traditional pro-style defenses in the Big Ten. But the PAC is different now. So's every other conference. Football is changing. When you have a gifted QB and a good OL and 3 high quality receivers -- zone schemes are probably not the way to go. You have to have corners who can play man and you have to do some blitzing.

It's also personnel. Because he played so much zone, Bradley almost never recruited top tier corners. So when they ended up against a gifted QB with high quality receivers like USC in 2008, they just got undressed. A lot of good defenses were overmatched against that USC team but Bradley's scheme was completely ineffective.
Pitch and catch for Sanchez and the 'roid boys that day. I'll never forget the heart of N Bowman though. He was a beast in the second half.

I love Tom Bradley but his style of defense is now passe and will not work in the modern game. Football has always evolved - you either innovate and adjust, or you get run over.

The I-formation was unstoppable. Then the wishbone. Then the West Coast. Now it's the spread. Somebody will innovate something that nobody else is doing, they'll win huge with it, everybody will adopt it, and then it will go by the wayside as well. Somebody else will figure out a way to beat it.

Everything always changes.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Was listening to college football radio. They brought up a good point that Mora is a "defense" guy and probably has an influence in the defensive schemes and game plan. We all know Tom's scheme is quite vanilla (and it is effective), but does he have autonomy? My guess is, he does not.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Their D is such trash despite all the talent they have. If only this happened earlier, maybe we could have got that stud LB recruit Betiku (who I think was Lavar's protege)

After this season, both UCLA and Pitt will be looking for new head coaches. Maybe the Pitters will finally hire a Penn Stater to straighten out their coaching cesspool? Ah ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! :D

A) Really easy to say that now
B) Neither you or anyone else has any clue how it would have turned out had the interim tag been removed

A) Really easy to say that now
B) Neither you or anyone else has any clue how it would have turned out had the interim tag been removed

It's easy to say now because I was very much in favor of bringing in new blood when Paterno was fired.
We know exactly how it would have turned out if Bradley had been named HC.

...wow, and back then you knew exactly how it would turn out with O'Brien, and then Franklin ...

1. Hard to believe how consistently average (or below) UCLA is, year in and year out. I know USC gets the lions share of the Cali talent, but you'd think there would be enough "left over" that UCLA would have 8 or 9 wins every season.
UCLA gets PLENTY of talent. That is not the issue for the Bruins..

...wow, and back then you knew exactly how it would turn out with O'Brien, and then Franklin ...

I didn't say that. I said I knew how it would turn out if Bradley had been named HC. This was before O'Brien was even interviewed and Franklin was on the radar.

Yeah I don't know who hired O'Brien and Franklin but they were both great hires. Did the PSU AD at the time have anything to do with it? Just curious.

He said, OK we'll do that, but probably didn't say thanks for finding someone for me.

I don't know, but I know he wrote & signed his name to this:

The Freeh Report concluded that individuals at Penn State University entrusted to positions of authority, shunned their basic responsibility to protect children, and innocent children suffered as a result. Our hearts go out to the victims of this abuse and their families.

Today Penn State takes another step forward in changing the culture at the institution as we accept the penalties of the NCAA for the failure of leadership that occurred on our campus. We are deeply disappointed that some of our leaders could have turned a blind eye to such abuse, and agree that the culture at Penn State must change.

After sitting through the Ticket City Bowl vs. Houston, I will guarantee you I was not one of those guys.

LdN

Not sure, but who was the irregular here that predicted the stock market would crash over a year ago?

Oh, it's gonna happen. And, when it does, stay out of my bunker.

05a0937ea528a0af552145d2658f73cb.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT