ADVERTISEMENT

Today, the very first race was held at IMS! Indy baby! Vroom! Vroom!

I was at IMS once. It was on a tour when (pre-Vic Jr.) my beloved spouse and I went on a road trip to see PSU-Indiana at the RCA Dome. We won in a squeaker, 24-23 or something like that against Randle-El. The museum is cool, no problem there but I wanted to put my hand on the bricks and stand there at the line. I (foolishly) figured this would be covered as part of the tour. They herded a bunch of us onto this little bus whereupon we made a lap around and heard some dialogue but never stopped to get out at the line, although the bus paused there for a few seconds (I was lucky enough to shoot a camera shot out the window of the bus). We got back to the beginning and since there was nothing else going on, no testing or anything, I stepped off the bus and advised Mrs. Bell that I decided I was going to walk up to the start/finish line and stand on the damn bricks. Take some pics. (I've told this here before, so skip this if you heard it).

Off I trod through the infield in the general direction of the front stretch. I hear "Hey!" from behind me somewhere. Ignore it. A guy I know who was military said always ignore "Hey." My ignoring didn't dissuade him though, a security guy comes up next to me in a golf cart and said I wasn't allowed up in there. I said man, looka...I'm never going to be here again, I have a million racing buddies at home. I wanna get a shot of the bricks and I'm outtahere. Search me, whatever. I have a camera and that's it. Nope. Move it on over.

So I trod back to the museum where this started and I asked the one bus driver of the tour, waiting for the next group to board, I said "Yo, chief, what's the deal? I thought the bus was going to let people out and walk on the track, like maybe at the start/finish line." He proceeds to tell me that this was in fact the prior practice with the tourists but recently the track changed its policy because (he said this, I swear to God) people were getting out of the bus and flopping on the ground, faking injuries and trying to sue the track. I couldn't even muster a response to that. But that's my story from IMS.

The museum was cool, I do reiterate.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT