ADVERTISEMENT

Today’s Press Conference brought to you by the word “Obviously”

Michaelion

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
I like Coach and as refined as he is as a speaker, I’m surprised at how often he goes to that word. He also looks and sounds a little more deflated than I thought he would 2 days removed from Saturday.

It doesn't surprise me that CJF is emoting this most recent loss/collapse more than most other coaches would, but that is his natural psychological response to adversity, which IMHO, doesn't lend itself to being an effective head football coach over the long term. Most successful coaches know how to put adversity behind them, intelligently dissect and identify the underlying problems and intuitively know how to make correcting adjustments. Sorry folks, that just isn't James Franklin.

Jung categorized people into primary types of psychological function. He proposed four main functions of consciousness:
The functions are modified by two main attitude types: extraversion and introversion. Jung theorized that the dominant function characterizes consciousness, while its opposite is repressed and characterizes unconscious behavior.

The eight psychological types are as follows:
  • Extraverted sensation
  • Introverted sensation
  • Extraverted intuition
  • Introverted intuition
  • Extraverted thinking
  • Introverted thinking
  • Extraverted feeling <<<----- Franklin
  • Introverted feeling

I like Coach and as refined as he is as a speaker, I’m surprised at how often he goes to that word. He also looks and sounds a little more deflated than I thought he would 2 days removed from Saturday.

I have no idea what his reasonable expectations were for this season, but whatever they were, after the Pitt blowout and the OSU narrow loss, I would think he was feeling pretty good about this team. Saturday was a crushing loss. The team can go on to have a good season but hopes for a great one are gone, even if we run the table (unlikely). What hurts the most is the team had it in their grasp and let it slip away.

I have no idea what his reasonable expectations were for this season, but whatever they were, after the Pitt blowout and the OSU narrow loss, I would think he was feeling pretty good about this team. Saturday was a crushing loss. The team can go on to have a good season but hopes for a great one are gone, even if we run the table (unlikely). What hurts the most is the team had it in their grasp and let it slip away.
obviously, it’s become a disturbing pattern.

It doesn't surprise me that CJF is emoting this most recent loss/collapse more than most other coaches would, but that is his natural psychological response to adversity, which IMHO, doesn't lend itself to being an effective head football coach over the long term. Most successful coaches know how to put adversity behind them, intelligently dissect and identify the underlying problems and intuitively know how to make correcting adjustments. Sorry folks, that just isn't James Franklin.

Jung categorized people into primary types of psychological function. He proposed four main functions of consciousness:
The functions are modified by two main attitude types: extraversion and introversion. Jung theorized that the dominant function characterizes consciousness, while its opposite is repressed and characterizes unconscious behavior.

• Extraverted sensation
  • Introverted sensation
  • Extraverted intuition
  • Introverted intuition
  • Extraverted thinking
  • Introverted thinking
  • Introverted feeling

Of all the topics in all the world, I never expected a post about Jungian Psychology in a thread about Franklin's press conference. I cannot say if I agree or disagree, since I got a D+ in Psychology at Penn State, but it's kinda cool.:)
(CAVEAT: Since I am clueless as to what the hell all that sensation/intuition stuff means, I gave you a like based solely upon the coolness factor.)

Last edited:

• Extraverted sensation
  • Introverted sensation
  • Extraverted intuition
  • Introverted intuition
  • Extraverted thinking
  • Introverted thinking
  • Introverted feeling
Just admit that you don't like Franklin, never did, and will never like him no matter what he does. It was the same with O'Brien.

Effective leaders come from every personality profile. What you listed are what you perceive as "skills" of successful coaches. That has nothing to do with personality type. Anyone can either have those skills or else learn them regardless of what personality type they are.

It's fine that you don't like Franklin. But stop making up reasons why he's no good.

• Extraverted sensation
  • Introverted sensation
  • Extraverted intuition
  • Introverted intuition
  • Extraverted thinking
  • Introverted thinking
  • Introverted feeling

Yeah, but where does Franklin fit on the D&D alignment chart?!

Last edited by a moderator:

• Extraverted sensation
  • Introverted sensation
  • Extraverted intuition
  • Introverted intuition
  • Extraverted thinking
  • Introverted thinking
  • Introverted feeling
WTF? How do you know he doesn't know what the problems are or how to fix them? How do you make every player on either defense or offense never drop a throw? Last but not least, "problems" is so subjective a term. Down to your 4th team walk on QB would qualify I suppose, however, if your X or O is not necessarily a first team AA, that is not a problem!

Just admit that you don't like Franklin, never did, and will never like him no matter what he does. It was the same with O'Brien.
That is patently untrue. I like Franklin as a person and his ability to recruit, but as I've explained countless times he's not qualified to head a Top 15 football program because of his lack of football knowledge.

Further, I also thought Bill O'Brien was a helluva football coach, but I lost a lot of respect for his "managerial abilities" when he fired Vanderlinden in order to promote his beer-buddy John Butler to the DC position - a job for which either LJ Sr. or RV were inherently more qualified.

I sometimes ponder what PSU Football would be like today if Franklin had retained both Johnson and Vanderlinden and they were still coaching in their prior roles.

The PSU HFC job will be a markedly more desirable job once the Occult-like Fringe of the Idol Worshipper generation passes by.

I would argue that the "Occult-like Fringe" was brought to you courtesy of the BOT members who not only never honored Joe's legacy properly, but have done everything possible to erase his memory, in the same manner as used to be done in the old Soviet Union. Had Joe been honored positively and respected, the O-LF wouldn't have had a reason to exist.

Alabama fans still worship Bear Bryant; that doesn't mean they don't worship Saban too.

I would argue that the "Occult-like Fringe" was brought to you courtesy of the BOT members who not only never honored Joe's legacy properly, but have done everything possible to erase his memory, in the same manner as used to be done in the old Soviet Union. Had Joe been honored positively and respected, the O-LF wouldn't have had a reason to exist.

Alabama fans still worship Bear Bryant; that doesn't mean they don't worship Saban too.
they sure as hell didnt worship Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Mike DuBose and Mike Shula, etc....

That is patently untrue. I like Franklin as a person and his ability to recruit, but as I've explained countless times he's not qualified to head a Top 15 football program because of his lack of football knowledge.

Further, I also thought Bill O'Brien was a helluva football coach, but I lost a lot of respect for his "managerial abilities" when he fired Vanderlinden in order to promote his beer-buddy John Butler to the DC position - a job for which either LJ Sr. or RV were inherently more qualified.

I sometimes ponder what PSU Football would be like today if Franklin had retained both Johnson and Vanderlinden and they were still coaching in their prior roles.
Ok, I'll take your word for it.
I will agree that gameday coaching (X and Os and management) is his weak spot. However, this is one attribute of several that make a good college coach. Recruiting, establishing a culture, player development, and hiring coordinators are all very important. I would give him: A, A-, B+, and B- in those categories. You don't fire a coach with that pedigree (which you called for the other day). He has shown that he is not afraid to fire a coordinator in order to upgrade. I think he may need to do that again. He is still young and can improve his gameday skills.

Ok, I'll take your word for it.
I will agree that gameday coaching (X and Os and management) is his weak spot. However, this is one attribute of several that make a good college coach. Recruiting, establishing a culture, player development, and hiring coordinators are all very important. I would give him: A, A-, B+, and B- in those categories. You don't fire a coach with that pedigree (which you called for the other day). He has shown that he is not afraid to fire a coordinator in order to upgrade. I think he may need to do that again. He is still young and can improve his gameday skills.
I'm a harsher grader and I guess we'll just need to disagree as to his "pedigree".

Strategic and Tactical Football Knowledge (includes Game Day coaching): C-

Ability to Develop a Positive Team Culture: A (JF has established admirable and enforceable expectations for being a good student and citizen)

Recruiting: B+ (He seems to be a "star-chaser" and not an identifier/developer of "hidden gem" talent. Both are important).

Staff Development: C (He seems to favor hiring younger, less-experienced "friends and former colleagues" instead of the "best in the business")

Player Development: B? (but this is strongly related to Staff Development)

It might be possible for a Head Coach to not have the X's & O's knowledge of a Saban or Meyer et al, but if so, you'd better be damned good at Staff Development in order to be successful. I have a theory as to why JF doesn't seem to hire the best and brightest, but rather prefers being surrounded by young, inexperienced staff. I'll save that theory for another day....perhaps tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ssn774 and JJTopp99

Johnson had zero interest in staying under Franklin after he didn’t get the head coaching position iirc.

Reactions: FightOnState
I'm a harsher grader and I guess we'll just need to disagree as to his "pedigree".

Ability to Develop a Positive Team Culture: A (JF has established admirable and enforceable expectations for being a good student and citizen)

Recruiting: B+ (He seems to be a "star-chaser" and not an identifier/developer of "hidden gem" talent. Both are important).

Staff Development: C (He seems to favor hiring younger and less-experienced "friends and former colleagues" instead of the "best in the business")

It might be possible for a Head Coach to not have the X's & O's knowledge of a Saban or Meyer et al, but if so, you'd better be damned good at Staff Development in order to be successful. I have a theory as to why JF doesn't seem to hire the best and brightest, but rather prefers being surrounded by young, inexperienced staff. I'll save that theory for another day....perhaps tomorrow. :)

With regard to C), his splashiest and most high profile hire to date was hired away to be a HC at an SEC school after two years. He only knew Moorhead because they met when we were using Fordham facilities to prep for the Pinstripe Bowl. And Gattis was hired away by Bama. I think he deserves better than a C.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff Development: C (He seems to favor hiring younger, less-experienced "friends and former colleagues" instead of the "best in the business")

the "star chaser" thing is a ridiculous notion

in fact, its the opposite. he is on these kids before they have the stars

case in point- Justin Fields

With regard to C), his splashiest and most high profile hire to date was hired away to be a HC at an SEC school after two years. He only knew Moorhead because they met when we were using Fordham facilities to prep for the Pinstripe Bowl. I think he deserves better than a C.
Granted Moorhead worked out to be a splashy, successful OC hire (albeit short-lived), but CJF's track record for hiring OC's consists of the following:

Clunker Donovan --> Moorhead --> Clunker Rahne.

I remain perplexed why JF hired someone with absolutely Zero experience as an OC for such an important position. Gattis also wasn't experienced so I wouldn't have appointed him either. I would have gone out and hired an experienced OC from outside. If Rahne got offended and left...Fine. He needs to go develop his OC skills and establish a demonstrated record of accomplishment at a smaller school before ever being considered for such a position at PSU.

I have the same thoughts regarding Pry. I think he too was "prematurely promoted", and we are now witnessing the consequences of these Staff Development decisions when PSU faces equal or better competition.

Last edited:
Johnson had zero interest in staying under Franklin after he didn’t get the head coaching position iirc.
Perhaps, but I'm not certain that is/was the case. We do know that Dave Joyner gave LJ Sr. a perfunctory job interview which would piss anyone off, but Franklin should have tried really hard to retain both LJ Sr. and RV with escalated titles and pay. They were both far more qualified than anything he brought with him from Vanderbilt.

LJ Sr seemed fine taking a lateral position move to OSU.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Perhaps, but I'm not certain that is/was the case. We do know that Dave Joyner gave LJ Sr. a perfunctory job interview which would piss anyone off, but Franklin should have tried really hard to retain both LJ Sr. and RV with escalated titles and pay. They were both far more qualified than anything he brought with him from Vanderbilt.

LJ Sr seemed fine taking a lateral position move to OSU.

Different taking a lateral position elsewhere than staying in the same position with a company that twice passed you over for a promotion in favor of outside candidates... Also not sure if you heard, but the 60 million dollar fine is preventing us from paying assistants enough so there's that.

Franklin worked under RV previously, not sure what their working relationship was by 2013.

With regard to C), his splashiest and most high profile hire to date was hired away to be a HC at an SEC school after two years. He only knew Moorhead because they met when we were using Fordham facilities to prep for the Pinstripe Bowl. And Gattis was hired away by Bama. I think he deserves better than a C.
Yep - and he fired a "friend" in order to get Moorhead. Hiring friends/colleagues is nothing new. All coaches do this to some extent. You want to hire at least some guys you know that you work well with and share your football philosophy.

Yep - and he fired a "friend" in order to get Moorhead. Hiring friends/colleagues is nothing new. All coaches do this to some extent. You want to hire at least some guys you know that you work well with and share your football philosophy.
Firing Donovan and Hand were acts of "self-preservation". Under the circumstances, you and I would have done the same, even if Donovan and/or Hard were our friends.

Different taking a lateral position elsewhere than staying in the same position with a company that twice passed you over for a promotion in favor of outside candidates... Also not sure if you heard, but the 60 million dollar fine is preventing us from paying assistants enough so there's that.

Franklin worked under RV previously, not sure what their working relationship was by 2013.

Not sure if LJ had decided to leave PSU once he knew he wasn't getting the HC job, but the position he was offered to say sealed it.

Never heard that the NCAA fine is preventing PSU from paying assistants "enough." If that's being offered as a reason, it's a crock of shit. After Shoop's first flirtation with the outside, he got a boost that put him among the highest paid DCs.Further, while the ACs are not among the highest paid, they can't exactly plead poverty. I mean, does anyone believe that Pry deserves to be paid the same as Dave Aranda?

Not sure if LJ had decided to leave PSU once he knew he wasn't getting the HC job, but the position he was offered to say sealed it.

Never heard that the NCAA fine is preventing PSU from paying assistants "enough." If that's being offered as a reason, it's a crock of shit. After Shoop's first flirtation with the outside, he got a boost that put him among the highest paid DCs.Further, while the ACs are not among the highest paid, they can't exactly plead poverty. I mean, does anyone believe that Pry deserves to be paid the same as Dave Aranda?

Second part was a joke. It was one of the reasons people floated around for why expectations should be lower than they are.

Firing Donovan and Hand were acts of "self-preservation". Under the circumstances, you and I would have done the same, even if Donovan and/or Hard were our friends.

Former colleagues - Rahne, Pry, Spencer, Banks
Unrelated - Corely, Smith, Seider, Limegrover, Bowen, Galiano

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT