ADVERTISEMENT

To the rescue? Colangelo joins Sixers

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/jerry-colangelo-joins-philadelphia-76ers

ORGANIZATION ADDS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED NAMES IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TO STAFF

PHILADELPHIA, PA. - DECEMBER 7, 2015 - The Philadelphia 76ers announced today the team has named Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame member and Chairman of the Board of Directors for USA Basketball Jerry Colangelo as the Special Advisor to the Managing General Partner and Chairman of Basketball Operations

I can't believe people shell out money to watch this garbage. Down 36 at the half and lose by 51. The Spurs didn't even play Duncan, Leonard and Ginobili. Something had to be done.

Sounds like the league commissioner has had enough of Hinkie and Josh Harris and was instrumental in getting this done. This way he makes sure the sixers are on the up and up and not basically just stealing money and telling people next year is the year we will start to rebuild

I've been a Sixer fan all my life, and I understand the getting stuck in mediocrity land, but this stuff is garbage. Other teams don't have to totally tank to rebuild. The Sixers were the known Tankers, and Minnesota got the better players. It looks like the Knicks pick after the Sixers may have been a better pick too. And the drafting of injured players. So far they haven't even drafted any game changers, and its a big risk that they will get any next year either if they don't get Simmons. Plus who wins with all young guys in the NBA? Hinkie is going nowhere fast.

Hinkie is still in charge. This is just PR to keep the wolves at bay. Colangelo will continue to live in Phoenix. Nothing is changing. The only thing that matters this season is staying below the Lakers in the standings. Do that and we have a 44% chance at their first round pick. If the Sixers land, for instance, Ben Simmons at #1, Jamel Murray at #4 (Lakers pick), Embiid returns from bone graft surgery, Saric (voted top player outside of the NBA by GMs) has said he is coming over next season, two other late first round picks (Heat and Thunder picks) and ~$40 million in cap space.

We have gone 33 years since our last championship. I'm more hopeful about this team than I have been since then. Just one more season of pain and then people are going to have to start dealing with us.

Hinkie is still in charge. This is just PR to keep the wolves at bay. Colangelo will continue to live in Phoenix. Nothing is changing. The only thing that matters this season is staying below the Lakers in the standings. Do that and we have a 44% chance at their first round pick. If the Sixers land, for instance, Ben Simmons at #1, Jamel Murray at #4 (Lakers pick), Embiid returns from bone graft surgery, Saric (voted top player outside of the NBA by GMs) has said he is coming over next season, two other late first round picks (Heat and Thunder picks) and ~$40 million in cap space.

We have gone 33 years since our last championship. I'm more hopeful about this team than I have been since then. Just one more season of pain and then people are going to have to start dealing with us.

Yeah, I can see the outline of a good team emerging, or at least competitive by next year and better beyond.
Okafor has been in the news for some bad behavior, but I think he'll learn from his mistakes. He's a teenager playing big minutes in the NBA and averaging 17 points and 8 rebounds; provides offense in the post.

Reactions: bwifan

Agreed Judge... I am a HUGE sixers fan and have been waiting patiently since our last title. Embiid is the key to me (assuming they land simmons) Embiid is a freak of nature. Never have seen a big man that athletic and agile with muscle. Closest I have seen for comparision would be Hakeem the Dream. Saric is coming. Next season will be much better and start putting the lineup and pieces together. The season after next is when I would expect them to really make a run at a title.

Agreed Judge... I am a HUGE sixers fan and have been waiting patiently since our last title. Embiid is the key to me (assuming they land simmons) Embiid is a freak of nature. Never have seen a big man that athletic and agile with muscle. Closest I have seen for comparision would be Hakeem the Dream. Saric is coming. Next season will be much better and start putting the lineup and pieces together. The season after next is when I would expect them to really make a run at a title.

tumblr_nkyp3rqlZi1rnnojyo1_400.gif

I think Embiid will be fine after the bone graft surgery. 7'2' dude that moves like this. The future looks bright, mostly because things are so bleak now.

Reactions: bwifan
"Just one more season of pain and then people are going to have to start dealing with us."

Sounds like what I have to deal with regarding a college football program that I follow closely.

"Just one more season of pain and then people are going to have to start dealing with us."

Sounds like what I have to deal with regarding a college football program that I follow closely.

Delayed gratification a common theme between the two.

I can live with the 76ers not winning another game this year. We have not really had a shot at a championship since the early 80s. Iverson was a great player but was not going to lead us to the promised land.

I think Embiid will be fine after the bone graft surgery. 7'2' dude that moves like this. The future looks bright, mostly because things are so bleak now.

Is there any precedent for a player missing two consecutive seasons and coming back to have a productive career? You'd have to think if he comes back, he won't be nearly as productive as he once was and is liable to get injured again.

I can live with the 76ers not winning another game this year. We have not really had a shot at a championship since the early 80s. Iverson was a great player but was not going to lead us to the promised land.
Getting to the finals in 2001 wasn't too shabby.

Is there any precedent for a player missing two consecutive seasons and coming back to have a productive career? You'd have to think if he comes back, he won't be nearly as productive as he once was and is liable to get injured again.

The Center from Cleveland, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, did , but Yao Ming did not. Bill Walton was decent afterwards for awhile. It's risky. They better keep him light and get him $10,000 shoes.

I did read where Michael Jordan once broke the same bone, but let it heal naturally. I was surprised......

Big guys and foot injuries are a bad combination. No specific info re: Embiid, but his return (or his return to good form) is no sure thing.

The major issue with Embiid's foot is that the original surgery should have been bone graft surgery. The did the surgery before he was involved with the Sixers. He was proceeding along fine in the spring (see the gif) but the small bone that was operated on began to show cracks in the final MRI before he was about to begin playing for reals. So they did the bone graft that should have been done in the first place. I think the Cavs center Illgauskas (sp.) went through the same procedure after missing multiple seasons and went on to have a 10 year career. There have been others. Michael Jordan broke the same bone in his foot his second year with the Bulls and I think he went on to have an ok career.

There are no guarantees for anyone, but I think he can still have a very good NBA career.

EDIT: dbsteel I see said the same things above.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/jerry-colangelo-joins-philadelphia-76ers

ORGANIZATION ADDS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED NAMES IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TO STAFF

PHILADELPHIA, PA. - DECEMBER 7, 2015 - The Philadelphia 76ers announced today the team has named Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame member and Chairman of the Board of Directors for USA Basketball Jerry Colangelo as the Special Advisor to the Managing General Partner and Chairman of Basketball Operations

Sounds like a DB move to me. Where was Colangelo three years ago? Any DBag can come to the rescue after all the dirty work is done. The big contracts are gone and draft picks are all lined up.

I can't believe people shell out money to watch this garbage. Down 36 at the half and lose by 51. The Spurs didn't even play Duncan, Leonard and Ginobili. Something had to be done.

Who was shelling out money from 1989- 2000 and 2002-2012?

Do you miss the good old days of winning 35 games a year, high payroll stiffs and zero chance of winning anything?

Sounds like the league commissioner has had enough of Hinkie and Josh Harris and was instrumental in getting this done. This way he makes sure the sixers are on the up and up and not basically just stealing money and telling people next year is the year we will start to rebuild

When is the league going to step in and do something about the KNicks that had a worse record than the 76ers last year? The Nets were not much better and had the highest payroll in the East.

Well, here is where they are. In this year's draft, if form holds, they will have three picks in the top 10, including one lottery pick. Embid is still a big question mark. They will have to wait another year on him (because he could play with Okafor).
Okafor is a keeper, as of now. As or Noel, he will be traded for another first round pick or a quality forward or guard to a a team that needs a shot-blocking center. I just do not see how the 76ers can tank after this season. They will have too much talent at that point. I fully expect them to use their three picks on forwards and guards.
Part of the delay in improvement is because the DUMB Lakers passed on Okafor. As a 76ers fan I was thrilled. The problem is 3 centers and the top forward/guard still in Turkey (the 76ers did not rush that because his arrival could make the team just good enough to miss the lottery). It is all pretty well thought out, at least as much as you can. Clearly luck and other teams decisions factor in.

Wait, did you just say Dario Saric is the difference between 1-21 and the playoffs?

Wait, did you just say Dario Saric is the difference between 1-21 and the playoffs?
No, just "might" be good enough to push you out of the top 5 picks. As we all know THAT is generally were the real "potential" talent is.

No, just "might" be good enough to push you out of the top 5 picks. As we all know THAT is generally were the real "potential" talent is.

Ah I see. I'm pretty sure they would have still been in the top 5 but ok

Well, here is where they are. In this year's draft, if form holds, they will have three picks in the top 10, including one lottery pick.

That's not accurate.

In the 1st round of the 2016 NBA draft, the Sixers have:

a) their own pick
b) the Laker's pick, as long as it is not the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick
c) Miami's pick (as long as it's not 1-10)
d) Oklahoma City's pick (as long as it's not 1-15)

They also have the option of swapping their pick with Sacremento's pick, provided Sacremento's is not 11-30. Sacremento isn't doing too well this season, but there's not much chance that Sacremento will have a higher pick than the Sixers.

They also have a crazy swap agreement with Golden State, where they can swap the least favorable of Miami's or OK City's pick, provided they both fall outside the protected zones, or either of these picks if only 1 falls outside the protected zone, for Golden State's 1st round pick. Miami, Oklahoma City, and Golden State are leading their respective divisions, so no matter how this plays out there's almost no expectation that this will be a high pick.

If the season ended today, the Sixers, the Lakers, and Sacremento would be in the lottery. The Sixers only get to swap with Sacremento if they want to, so there is no way that the Sixers will have "three picks in the top 10." They may have 2 in the top 10, or they have only 1 if the Lakers get the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick. (FWIW, if the Lakers' pick is 1, 2, or 3, then the Lakers keep their pick this year, and the Sixers get their 2017 1st round pick, but that's also 1-3 protected. If the Lakers get a 1-3 pick in 2017, then they keep that pick and the Sixers get the Lakers 1st round pick in 2018, and it's not protected.)

The Miami and the Oklahoma City picks for 2016 are expected to be very late in the 1st round. The best scenario for the Sixers is that they get the #1 pick with their pick, and that the Lakers lottery selection becomes the #4 pick, so that the Sixers get that pick.

Interesting article in today's Philadelphia Inquirer indicating that Colangelo's hire may lead to Hinkie being dismissed in time. It does indicate some conflicting opinions on this. You can access the article at THIS LINK.

If the headline read, "Jesus Christ and Mohammed have descended from the heavens and joined the 76ers staff" that still wouldn't help
that sorry lot get 10 wins this year.

If the headline read, "Jesus Christ and Mohammed have descended from the heavens and joined the 76ers staff" that still wouldn't help that sorry lot get 10 wins this year.

10 wins would be nice, in that it would enable them to not tie or set the record for fewest victories in a NBA season. Since their goal is to try to get the #1 draft pick, and Embiid is out for the season and Saric is overseas this season, I don't think there was much of an expectation that they would be all that competitive. Plus, as the linked article indicates, to some extent their current situation can be chalked up to bad luck in the past 2 lotteries. They wanted Wiggins 2 years ago, and Russell last year, but in each lottery then ended up with the 3rd pick, and as a result ended up picking Embiid and Okafor, respectively.

10 wins would be nice, in that it would enable them to not tie or set the record for fewest victories in a NBA season. Since their goal is to try to get the #1 draft pick, and Embiid is out for the season and Saric is overseas this season, I don't think there was much of an expectation that they would be all that competitive. Plus, as the linked article indicates, to some extent their current situation can be chalked up to bad luck in the past 2 lotteries. They wanted Wiggins 2 years ago, and Russell last year, but in each lottery then ended up with the 3rd pick, and as a result ended up picking Embiid and Okafor, respectively.

Yeah, bad luck missing Wiggins, or at least it looks that way now, depending on Embiid's eventual health and return. But was it bad luck to get Okafor instead of D'Angelo Russell?
Russell is averaging 10.9 pts/ game, not shooting well, and the team is not playing well.
Okafor is averaging 16.9 pts and 7.9 rebounds, showing ability to score down low.

Yeah, bad luck missing Wiggins, or at least it looks that way now, depending on Embiid's eventual health and return. But was it bad luck to get Okafor instead of D'Angelo Russell?
Russell is averaging 10.9 pts/ game, not shooting well, and the team is not playing well.
Okafor is averaging 16.9 pts and 7.9 rebounds, showing ability to score down low.

Hard to know, in either case.

Wiggins looks to be an excellent player, and would be helping the Sixers this year. Embiid has the potential to be a real impact player, but due to injuries we're not even sure if he'll ever be able to play in the NBA.

Russell has not had an impressive start to his NBA career. How much of that is on him, and how much of it is on his playing for the Lakers, is really hard to tell. He certainly did appear to be a guy that could do everything while playing for Ohio State last year. Okafor has had a nice start to his NBA score. I don't think there were any questions that he would be an offensive force. I had questions about his rebounding, but he's done pretty well at that. I had serious questions about his defense, and that still seems to be a hole in his game.

If Embiid had been healthy, there wouldn't have been much of a need for an Okafor. Now, even if the bone graft is successful, I think it would be smart for the Sixers to keep both of them, as well as Noel, so that Embiid's minutes can be held to a maximum.

That's not accurate.

In the 1st round of the 2016 NBA draft, the Sixers have:

a) their own pick
b) the Laker's pick, as long as it is not the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick
c) Miami's pick (as long as it's not 1-10)
d) Oklahoma City's pick (as long as it's not 1-15)

They also have the option of swapping their pick with Sacremento's pick, provided Sacremento's is not 11-30. Sacremento isn't doing too well this season, but there's not much chance that Sacremento will have a higher pick than the Sixers.

They also have a crazy swap agreement with Golden State, where they can swap the least favorable of Miami's or OK City's pick, provided they both fall outside the protected zones, or either of these picks if only 1 falls outside the protected zone, for Golden State's 1st round pick. Miami, Oklahoma City, and Golden State are leading their respective divisions, so no matter how this plays out there's almost no expectation that this will be a high pick.

If the season ended today, the Sixers, the Lakers, and Sacremento would be in the lottery. The Sixers only get to swap with Sacremento if they want to, so there is no way that the Sixers will have "three picks in the top 10." They may have 2 in the top 10, or they have only 1 if the Lakers get the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick. (FWIW, if the Lakers' pick is 1, 2, or 3, then the Lakers keep their pick this year, and the Sixers get their 2017 1st round pick, but that's also 1-3 protected. If the Lakers get a 1-3 pick in 2017, then they keep that pick and the Sixers get the Lakers 1st round pick in 2018, and it's not protected.)

The Miami and the Oklahoma City picks for 2016 are expected to be very late in the 1st round. The best scenario for the Sixers is that they get the #1 pick with their pick, and that the Lakers lottery selection becomes the #4 pick, so that the Sixers get that pick.

Thanks for the current information. Well, I guess it is all about luck once again.
I know they are really bad since their ticket office has stopped calling me ;-)

Hard to know, in either case.

Wiggins looks to be an excellent player, and would be helping the Sixers this year. Embiid has the potential to be a real impact player, but due to injuries we're not even sure if he'll ever be able to play in the NBA.

Russell has not had an impressive start to his NBA career. How much of that is on him, and how much of it is on his playing for the Lakers, is really hard to tell. He certainly did appear to be a guy that could do everything while playing for Ohio State last year. Okafor has had a nice start to his NBA score. I don't think there were any questions that he would be an offensive force. I had questions about his rebounding, but he's done pretty well at that. I had serious questions about his defense, and that still seems to be a hole in his game.

If Embiid had been healthy, there wouldn't have been much of a need for an Okafor. Now, even if the bone graft is successful, I think it would be smart for the Sixers to keep both of them, as well as Noel, so that Embiid's minutes can be held to a maximum.

Okafor's help defense, particularly on the pick and roll, hasn't been good. But he's done pretty well as an individual defender.

"As a little side note, Okafor has also put in the work on defense. Opponents shoot 11.9% less when shooting against Okafor inside of 6 ft while trying 6.5 times a game. Opponents shoot 11.1% less inside of 6 ft when shooting against Towns while trying 6.3 times a game. Opponents shoot 9.7% less inside of 6 ft when shooting against Porzingis while trying 6.1 times a game. In other words, opponents shoot the most against Okafor inside of 6 ft between Okafor, Towns, and Porzingis, yet Okafor still makes opponents shoot worse inside of 6 ft than Towns and Porzingis do to their opponents. Just food for thought for the people that think Okafor is such a bad defender."

Embiid has the boot off and is shooting in pregame. The guy looks like freaking Wilt Chamberlain.

CV5iuBXXAAATZi0.jpg

I will be shocked if Embiid can ever play at a high level. Hope I'm wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT