ADVERTISEMENT

To Return or Not to Return, That is the Question

It is indicated above that there is no adjustment to the scholarship limit of 9.9. How are schools keeping their scholarship commitments to incoming recruits? Are any of these 6th year students actually working on an advanced degree like at least a master's or is this a dumb question? Thank you.

It is indicated above that there is no adjustment to the scholarship limit of 9.9. How are schools keeping their scholarship commitments to incoming recruits? Are any of these 6th year students actually working on an advanced degree like at least a master's or is this a dumb question? Thank you.
See that's why I think there will be kids who said they are returning changing their minds or someone (coaching staffs a/o parents) changing it for them. Once coaches sit down and see how their returning affects the teams future, they may decide it's best if they dont come back and will honor the scholly money they promised to the young guys. And if they decide to come back anyway, parents may be convincing them it's not smart to be paying out of pocket to attend school so they can wrestle a other year.

I just watched the Brands press conference from Saturday night. When a reported said to him that he would be having his entire team back Tom replied, "well there's alot to be ironed out." So yeah, I' be surprised if they do have entire team back.

Reactions: Sullivan

I don't believe this is entirely true. If a school can fund the extra ships, they can have more than the NCAA limit. This seems unfair to me. A kid could have eligibility, but schools should have to live by the scholly limit. If you have been on ship and what to take the extra year, a school either tells some youngster, sorry, or you have to pay your own way, or go to the portal as a hired gun. Of course, who knows.

What about athletic scholarships?
There are two factors that control the availability of scholarships at the D1 and D2 levels. The NCAA scholarship limits per sport and whether or not the school is fully funded. For D1 fall sports, seniors who have scholarships and who will be using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the team’s scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season. The D2 level has not provided any waivers, so there is no potential for D2 programs to offer additional scholarship money for fall sports recruits.

This does not mean a college will go over the limit of maximum scholarships. Each school will decide how many scholarships they can fund for each team depending on their budget. In a recent survey, 80% of college coaches said they do not plan on cutting scholarships as part of their budget cutting measures. For recruits pursuing an athletic scholarship, hopefully this means the maximum, and possibly over the maximum number of scholarships, will be available for the 2021-22 school year.

Here is an example of how this could play out for a college team:

• A fully funded NCAA D1 FBS football team has a maximum of 85 scholarships. All D1 FBS scholarships are full-rides.
  • For the 2020-21 season, the team has 25 seniors on scholarship. Let’s say all of these seniors get an extra year of eligibility.
  • For the 2021-22 school year, this program could bring back up to 25 seniors and all of those seniors are eligible to keep their scholarships.
  • If the school is able to fund the maximum number of scholarships it can for the 2021-22 school year, they could have 110 athletes on scholarships. That means 25 returning seniors and 85 others.
The determining factor is whether or not a school can afford to give scholarships over the maximum.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
Yes, and he is 24 and will be 25 in May. You have now flunked Math 101 for the second time. :confused:

LOL, missed that so I flunk Reading Comprehension 101. :eek:
I was watching the Flo link of them watching the finals (loved watching them hate on PSU). J'den Cox dialed in for the 141lb match and was pulling for Jaydin on his "play-by-play". Mentioned that they go back a bit together and I see that Jaydin Eierman is only 10 months younger than J'den!! 2015 he lost to Snyder and McIntosh. 2016 he beat Morgan (4-2) for the championship. Repeated in 2017 when he finished his college career. Quite the college gap between the two

That’s a cool photo of Eierman, framed to show the text “wrestling champ” from the huge “... wrestling championship” banner behind him. Good thing for him the banner did not instead say “... NCAA championship”, which would’ve made the photo unusable. :)
Except that it says "Wrestling Champi" and, as everyone knows, a champi is an Indian hair massage, sometimes done with hot oil. No wonder Eierman's teammates want him back next year (except for Marinelli, he doesn't care).

I know Kemerer for one is listed as a grad student

I don't believe this is entirely true. If a school can fund the extra ships, they can have more than the NCAA limit. This seems unfair to me. A kid could have eligibility, but schools should have to live by the scholly limit. If you have been on ship and what to take the extra year, a school either tells some youngster, sorry, or you have to pay your own way, or go to the portal as a hired gun. Of course, who knows.

What about athletic scholarships?
There are two factors that control the availability of scholarships at the D1 and D2 levels. The NCAA scholarship limits per sport and whether or not the school is fully funded. For D1 fall sports, seniors who have scholarships and who will be using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the team’s scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season. The D2 level has not provided any waivers, so there is no potential for D2 programs to offer additional scholarship money for fall sports recruits.

This does not mean a college will go over the limit of maximum scholarships. Each school will decide how many scholarships they can fund for each team depending on their budget. In a recent survey, 80% of college coaches said they do not plan on cutting scholarships as part of their budget cutting measures. For recruits pursuing an athletic scholarship, hopefully this means the maximum, and possibly over the maximum number of scholarships, will be available for the 2021-22 school year.

Here is an example of how this could play out for a college team:

• A fully funded NCAA D1 FBS football team has a maximum of 85 scholarships. All D1 FBS scholarships are full-rides.
  • For the 2020-21 season, the team has 25 seniors on scholarship. Let’s say all of these seniors get an extra year of eligibility.
  • For the 2021-22 school year, this program could bring back up to 25 seniors and all of those seniors are eligible to keep their scholarships.
  • If the school is able to fund the maximum number of scholarships it can for the 2021-22 school year, they could have 110 athletes on scholarships. That means 25 returning seniors and 85 others.
The determining factor is whether or not a school can afford to give scholarships over the maximum.
In regards to how the NCAA will be handling scholarships, sounds like something Dan Gable threw together for them...

I'll go ahead and call it now: Young and Kemerer won't return.
You have to assume everyone comes back and they make a last run because they are in trouble the year after that. If I had to pick one not coming back I'd agree with your Kemerer pick. I think that would be his 7th year of college. They already call him grandpa. It could be in question if the university is willing to give DeSanto an extra scholarly depending how egregious it was that he said especially with his history. (Most likely no big deal) Lee could be in question too. Myself having had an acl reconstructive surgery I cant imagine wrestling without one or two.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I just watched the Brands press conference from Saturday night. When a reported said to him that he would be having his entire team back Tom replied, "well there's alot to be ironed out." So yeah, I' be surprised if they do have entire team back.
I don't see how that's even possible for the entire team to come back. Lol.

You have to assume everyone comes back and they make a last run because they are in trouble the year after that. If I had to pick one not coming back I'd agree with your Kemerer pick. I think that would be his 7th year of college. They already call him grandpa. It could be in question if the university is willing to give DeSanto an extra scholarly depending how egregious it was that he said especially with his history. (Most likely no big deal) Lee could be in question too. Myself having had an acl reconstructive surgery I cant imagine wrestling without one or two.
The reason I say this is that I think Mike is ready to move on to either a freestyle career or his next career path..and with Young, he is from a very rural part of Central pa in punxy, and it's just inherent to that area that folks usually return to their homes eventually. Long way from Iowa City which is a metropolis compared to his own home town.

With Young, he is from a very rural part of Central pa in punxy, and it's just inherent to that area that folks usually return to their homes eventually. Long way from Iowa City which is a metropolis compared to his own home town.

Well I wouldn't mind if he stayed in IC long term. We dont need his father in law in pa any more than he already is....

Well I wouldn't mind if he stayed in IC long term. We dont need his father in law in pa any more than he already is....
I hear ya, but if one is in Punxsutawney, is one really in civilization to begin with? I say this as someone who has seen the town, and that town is a place that sets back time by 50 years.

PAwrestlersnt - I agree. In the era of an extra year for Covid, no adjustment to the 9.9, and the portal, this is a relevant question.

Not only do you have older guys wondering when their career will end due to burnout, bodies breaking down, the reality that not everyone can compete in freestyle down the road, there is the reality that very few wrestlers are getting full rides and college is expensive as hell. I'll bet some kids are already starting to contemplate what their student loan balance really means. Usually a freshman versus a 6-7th year senior might have a different interpretation of that ugly reality.

Likewise for the top recruit who has to sit behind a hammer for another year, maybe just maybe the portal looks a little more enticing.

We will have to see, but for guys like Marinelli and Eireman after the question is left to 'season' for a few more months they may well feel differently than in the immediate aftermath of this year's tourney.

With no disrespect intended, I think Eireman's window for winning an individual championship just slammed on his fingers. Nick will be even stronger next year and I don't think he has any shot against Yanni either.

Both Hawks acheived one ultimate goal of winning a team trophy. With what PSU, Cornel, a young OSU team, a healthy tOSU and the rest of the Ivys returning stronger, next year will be a blood bath. Despite being 2022 pre-season favorites I do not see the Hawks defending next year, so a goal of a repeat is both less sure and less compelling than this past year's.

This wasn't meant to focus on Iowa necessary, and was intended more as only a speculative illustration. Nationwide, I expect we will see some big surprises in the next 6 months, and some kids revising what they state today.
I think there will be a significant number of wrestlers who sit out the Fall semester, enroll for January in order to reduce college costs.

I hear ya, but if one is in Punxsutawney, is one really in civilization to begin with? I say this as someone who has seen the town, and that town is a place that sets back time by 50 years.

what’s your hometown, just curious?

I'm channeling dogwelder here and after also learning the need now for extra scholarship money it made sense.

Anyhow in one of the tv shots on Saturday night when they were recapping, ESPN showed the outside of the Enterprise Arena and in the clip was a guy in a Hawkeye shirt wearing a coach's credential, with a tip cup reading "I'm not homeless but need money for scholarships for the elderly".
I couldn't tell who it was, maybe Tom or Terry?

The reason I say this is that I think Mike is ready to move on to either a freestyle career or his next career path..and with Young, he is from a very rural part of Central pa in punxy, and it's just inherent to that area that folks usually return to their homes eventually. Long way from Iowa City which is a metropolis compared to his own home town.
Kaleb Young is from Punxsy...

A question that I haven’t seen before.
if you have a kid that goes to school where you work(at a college) the kid normally goes to school for a reduced rate if not free.
how would that work if your spouse worked there( Marinellis wife)

A question that I haven’t seen before.
if you have a kid that goes to school where you work(at a college) the kid normally goes to school for a reduced rate if not free.
how would that work if your spouse worked there( Marinellis wife)
That's a school policy and therefore varies schhol-by-school for both spouses and children.

What is constant is that schools cannot apply it selectively for athletics. If Iowa does not discount tuition for all spouses, then they can't for Mariah Marinelli's husband.

ADVERTISEMENT