ADVERTISEMENT

To Return or Not to Return, That is the Question

pawrestlersintn

Jan 26, 2013
I know several of you take great delight in seeing me start a redundant thread. But, it probably is the best way to keep a running tally of seniors who plan on returning, or not, for their senior senior year. Please post any news that you see, whether it be tweets, IG messages, news accounts, etc. with updates. I will edit this first post with those updates.

PSU
Returning: Nick Lee (141, source: personal interview)
Not Returning:

Iowa
Returning: Spencer Lee (125, source: pre-injury interview), Jaydin Eierman (141, source: Tweet), Marinelli (165, source: Tweet), Kaleb Young (149, source: Tom Brands says so), Michael Kemmerer (174, source: IG)
Not Returning:
Unknown: Austin DeSanto

Michigan
Returning:
Not Returning:
Unknown: Logan Massa, Myles Amine, Stevan Micic, Kanen Storr

Rutgers
Returning: Seabass Rivera (133?, Source: Tweet)
Not Returning:

NC State
Returning: Hayden Hidlay (174, Source: podcast), Tariq Wilson (149, Source: Tweet), Nick Reenan (, Source: Tweet)
Not Returning:
Unknown:

Pitt
Returning: Jake Wentzell (165, Source: Tweet)
Not Returning:

Rider
Returning:
Not Returning: Jesse Dellavechia (157, source: Tweet)

VT
Returning: Korbin Myers (133, source: Tweet)

Last edited:
That’s a cool photo of Eierman, framed to show the text “wrestling champ” from the huge “... wrestling championship” banner behind him. Good thing for him the banner did not instead say “... NCAA championship”, which would’ve made the photo unusable. :)

Just a reminder guys, our guys can all do this later on. Brooks has a chance to be a 4 timer, Carter a FIVE (him and Ferrari are the only two that in theory can do it now) All our freshman this year will be freshman again next year. Michael Beard is 4 years out of high school and a freshman next year.

Iowa guys want to run it back and that's their right. Eierman and Kemerer were right place, right time scenario (6th year senior in the free year) Guys like Cenzo/Mark/Kollin/Pletcher/Lugo, etc. got screwed over the worst. Chris Ayres' recently tweeted about how BS it is that Kolodzik can't even get his 4th NCAA tournament and he has a LEGITIMATE grip.

You guys said it yourselves, Iowa probably isn't totally satisfied with this tournament. I know Cael isn't, based on how he was acting with Joe Lee, you can tell he was NOT gunning for 2nd this year. Dude is MANIACALLY competitive. Funny enough in his "Do you have a plan?" interview with Pyles, he even said, we won the Scuffle, we can win NCAAs. Yes that was a PUNT year but in his mind, he could get his guys so ready for NCAAs that they can still win. He does NOT like losing. What do you think brought him to Penn State in the first place? He wasn't happy with 5th place at 2011 Worlds (literally something he did off of a bet)

I imagine Cael is more focused on getting our guys to be the best they can be rather than hoping Iowa has anyone not come back. Sit back, he has a plan and I can't wait to see what it is.

Last edited:
Fun Facts about Jaydin Eierman:
Left Missouri because Connor McCloud was getting close to finding him.
Thinks Minnesota calling their pro football team Vikings is in really poor taste.
He was starting to get really really bored before someone invented the internet.
Still waiting for Hollywood to do a decent adaptation of Beowulf.

Fun Facts about Jaydin Eierman:
Left Missouri because Connor McCloud was getting close to finding him.
Thinks Minnesota calling their pro football team Vikings is in really poor taste.
He was starting to get really really bored before someone invented the internet.
Still waiting for Hollywood to do a decent adaptation of Beowulf.
Ancient Cael telling ancient Nick Lee that Eierman thinks he will be the only one standing...
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

PAwrestlersnt - I agree. In the era of an extra year for Covid, no adjustment to the 9.9, and the portal, this is a relevant question.

Not only do you have older guys wondering when their career will end due to burnout, bodies breaking down, the reality that not everyone can compete in freestyle down the road, there is the reality that very few wrestlers are getting full rides and college is expensive as hell. I'll bet some kids are already starting to contemplate what their student loan balance really means. Usually a freshman versus a 6-7th year senior might have a different interpretation of that ugly reality.

Likewise for the top recruit who has to sit behind a hammer for another year, maybe just maybe the portal looks a little more enticing.

We will have to see, but for guys like Marinelli and Eireman after the question is left to 'season' for a few more months they may well feel differently than in the immediate aftermath of this year's tourney.

With no disrespect intended, I think Eireman's window for winning an individual championship just slammed on his fingers. Nick will be even stronger next year and I don't think he has any shot against Yanni either.

Both Hawks acheived one ultimate goal of winning a team trophy. With what PSU, Cornel, a young OSU team, a healthy tOSU and the rest of the Ivys returning stronger, next year will be a blood bath. Despite being 2022 pre-season favorites I do not see the Hawks defending next year, so a goal of a repeat is both less sure and less compelling than this past year's.

This wasn't meant to focus on Iowa necessary, and was intended more as only a speculative illustration. Nationwide, I expect we will see some big surprises in the next 6 months, and some kids revising what they state today.

Reactions: garw and dsites52
That’s a cool photo of Eierman, framed to show the text “wrestling champ” from the huge “... wrestling championship” banner behind him. Good thing for him the banner did not instead say “... NCAA championship”, which would’ve made the photo unusable. :)

Is he wearing Max Weldons in that photo?

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT