ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Stewart to Virginia Tech

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Think that’s a really good fit for Stewart who I like a good bit. Think he’s a 184 long-term though and I get not wanting to sit behind Brooks. Have also heard Penn State is in really good shape right now with junior Josh Barr, who’s ranked second in the country right now at 170.

Great fit for Stewart. VT will have a strong upper weight lineup once they find a 197: Ulrey, Lewis/Kibe, Stewart, (197), Catka.

With this news, Cael is likely done with 2022 starters -- Willie's top remaining guys are #30, #44, and #55.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
Light year for PSU, but it makes sense. I bet Cael wanted Mendez, but it didn't work out. Gotta hit on the next couple years.

Reactions: fronk71
With the free COVID year last year, it is hard to game plan what the future holds sometimes. Guys like Starocci still have 4 years of eligibility, brooks still has 3 years himself. Beards got 4.
I would put my money on it that some recruits, want to wrestle and not sit and therefore decide to wrestle elsewhere. Does it suck losing out on guys that we may want? Yes. But are they needs? No.
I enjoy watching guys like TJ wrestle but it will also be easier to root for him since he is not in the Big Ten

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Congrats TJ. Would have been nice to see him in happy valley. He is a great fit at VT.

With the free COVID year last year, it is hard to game plan what the future holds sometimes. Guys like Starocci still have 4 years of eligibility, brooks still has 3 years himself. Beards got 4.
I would put my money on it that some recruits, want to wrestle and not sit and therefore decide to wrestle elsewhere. Does it suck losing out on guys that we may want? Yes. But are they needs? No.
I enjoy watching guys like TJ wrestle but it will also be easier to root for him since he is not in the Big Ten

Could a limited amount of scholly money go along with that? I know Cael usually finds a way, but with a logjam, scholarship money can't be overflowing, at least I wouldn't think?

Definitely wanted him (and so did Cael since he was here for an OV) Super high ceiling but a bit inconsistent at times (why he tumbled a bit in Willie's big board originally) At least he's not Iowa/Ohio State bound lol. As most know, we're set at upper weights for a while.

Could a limited amount of scholly money go along with that? I know Cael usually finds a way, but with a logjam, scholarship money can't be overflowing, at least I wouldn't think?
The 9.9 cap was granted a one-year exception for 2022, and only for returning Super Seniors. Last year's seniors who returned this year can receive the same scholarship they got last year. (Assuming that fits within each team's budget.)

Jakob Campbell would be the only guy who qualifies for PSU -- except he transferred from Bucknell, which (unless this changed recently) does not offer athletic scholarships.

Reactions: fronk71
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT