ADVERTISEMENT

Tips/leads for buying beds or desks in State College?

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
One of my sons rented an apartment with three friends, and it turns out that much of the furniture the prior tenants were to leave behind has been destroyed or rendered unusable, so they need to replace four desks, four beds, dressers, a dining room table, and possibly a sofa.

Any Board members have tips or suggestions on where to hunt down some used furniture? I gotta think that there are a number of kids who have finished up, are leaving town, and are looking to unload a desk, dresser, bed frame, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Gonna go with new mattresses. It is, after all, a college town.)

One of my sons rented an apartment with three friends, and it turns out that much of the furniture the prior tenants were to leave behind has been destroyed or rendered unusable, so they need to replace four desks, four beds, dressers, a dining room table, and possibly a sofa.

Any Board members have tips or suggestions on where to hunt down some used furniture? I gotta think that there are a number of kids who have finished up, are leaving town, and are looking to unload a desk, dresser, bed frame, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Gonna go with new mattresses. It is, after all, a college town.)
There's a road leading to Bellefonte, Benner Pike I think, where near to the prison (on left hand side of the road), there is a store that sells furniture and stuff that has been repaired by prisoners. Not sure of the name of the store.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell

Pre-order the mattress on line from Walmart, and go pick it up.

Reactions: 91Joe95
There's a road leading to Bellefonte, Benner Pike I think, where near to the prison (on left hand side of the road), there is a store that sells furniture and stuff that has been repaired by prisoners. Not sure of the name of the store.
There's also Pete's Used Furniture on westerly/Easterly pike in a strip Mall with Goodwill and a Weis.

Tips/leads for buying beds or desks in State College? ... so they need to replace four desks, four beds, dressers, a dining room table, and possibly a sofa.

they'll have to move fast, as a lot of merchandise gets sold over this week/weekend.

- Craigslist (greatly helps if he/they have access to a car, but there are a lot of nice deals to be had from students and townies)
https://pennstate.craigslist.org/

- Lion Antiques, 122 N. Atherton (possibly for desk(s), dining room table, and sofa (they are quirky, and you never know what to expect, but they also have items in storage, so if you know your dimensions they can work with you)

- Pete's Used Furniture, 522 Westerly Pkwy (probably a better bet for many items than Lion Antiques, but you never know)
https://m.facebook.com/petes.furniture

- Goodwill Thrift Store, 424 Westerly Pkwy (same plaza as Pete's -- not great quality or quantity, but again, you have to go to find out)

- The Great Mish Mosh, 128 South Allegheny St, Bellefonte (a little bit further, but something to keep in mind)

I think there's also a student online marketplace, but I really don't recall the details. Your sons should know about that

Hope that helps

Try going here Centre Peace, Route 150, Bellefonte: http://www.centrepeace.org/

Might also try Good Will on the Westerly Parkway.

Last edited:
Penn State Surplus often has good deals on used stuff like desks. Don't know how much they'll have at the start of the semester though. U Drive all the way north, cross Park and make your first left. Centre Peace has some steals if you hit it lucky. I snagged a leather couch in there for $300 one time. Also, next to Goodwill is another thrift store, St. Vincent De Paul. Check them out if you're going to Goodwill anyway.

Just drive or walk around town. Virtually every apartment has a pile of furniture sitting outside, usually near the dumpsters, and much of it is in usable condition...and all of it is free. I was in town this past Monday and furniture was all over the place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT