ADVERTISEMENT

Time to see what Hack is all about. #1 team, national champs, on the road. Can he do it?...........

As they say: "it is GO TIME."

The "preliminaries" are over, let's see how he performs in a "main event."

So totally unreasonable to put this game on Hacks shoulders.....it's gonna be all about the guys in front of him. If they don't play up to the caliber of the ones across from them, there is nothing Hack is going to be able to do. He is just not blessed with the skill set to escape and run away.....it's all on the big boys up front and Franklin and staff to put them in a position to succeed....just my two cents

So totally unreasonable to put this game on Hacks shoulders.....it's gonna be all about the guys in front of him. If they don't play up to the caliber of the ones across from them, there is nothing Hack is going to be able to do. He is just not blessed with the skill set to escape and run away.....it's all on the big boys up front and Franklin and staff to put them in a position to succeed....just my two cents
True, but our concern with Hack is that he has looked shaky at times even when the protection is good. What I want to see from him this Saturday is fewer bad throws when he has time.

Hack has to play a good game, limit mistakes etc., but it's on the OL, the WR, the TE, the defense, special teams, game planing, in game adjustments, and on and on.

Reactions: Marshall30
True, but our concern with Hack is that he has looked shaky at times even when the protection is good. What I want to see from him this Saturday is fewer bad throws when he has time.

I get that, I have watched the majority of your games. He does need to step up his game, be more decisive and make better decisions. However, he's not going to get good protection, hes going to be under duress all night, every snap. It's a given, count on it and gameplan for it....quick throws, misdirection, screens and draws to attack the pressure has to happen. The pressure is a given, embrace it and attack it.....otherwise, it will devour him. It's comin.....our front four with Darron Lee coming off the edge is a greater threat and more athletic than the Temple front....it just is, accept that and develop a plan that has a chance to be successful.....let the players play

Reactions: pkg5002
I hope so. Biggest game in his career and will likely forecast his future.
"Can HE do it?", "Forecast his future". Really? I think the bigger concern is can we stop the OSU running game? What happens when they blitz? Will we be able to run the ball?

Hack should be well down on your list of concerns.

I hope so. Biggest game in his career and will likely forecast his future.
"Can HE do it?", "Forecast his future". Really? I think the bigger concern is can we stop the OSU running game? What happens when they blitz? Will we be able to run the ball?

Can the PSU D stop tOSU running game? Yep. Can PSU run effectively in the game. tOSU is the top pass D in the B1G. Gotta be able to run a little.

I have a feeling special teams will be where we need to make some big plays to help swing momentum, especially kick and punt returns. Field position dictates a lot in regards to play calling also.

Until yesterday, Hackenberg looked like the worst QB in the conference, and the rest of the team did not look much better. Now we are playing the defending national champion on the road. We are not going to win.

Until yesterday, Hackenberg looked like the worst QB in the conference, and the rest of the team did not look much better. Now we are playing the defending national champion on the road. We are not going to win.
Hack has played three games this season in weather that did not resemble a monsoon: Temple (in which he was sacked 10 times), San Diego State (296/3 TDs), and Indiana (262/2 TDs). I think weather will play more of a factor than Hack's ability; in almost every game where we haven't had oppressive wind and rain, Hack's been a pretty darn good quarterback.

It's about the coaching staff having a gameplan that puts the assets in a position where they can succeed.

A piss-poor, conservative, vanilla gameplan that is exposed early will destroy confidence within the team.

I think most of you guys are unrealistic! Did you see what Duke did to Army? If this game is closer than 17 points I'll be stunned and consider it a great effort from PSU! I see 34-13 best case scenario! Just opinion but very comfortable defending it!

Probably because he can't consistently count on the guys in front of him. Personally, I wish he and his family had done a better job of due diligence finding exactly how Franklin had used his Qbs in the past. IMHO a transfer would have been best thing for him. At that point, lots of pro style offenses would have taken him, plus CJF could have started with the guy he wanted.

Hack has played three games this season in weather that did not resemble a monsoon: Temple (in which he was sacked 10 times), San Diego State (296/3 TDs), and Indiana (262/2 TDs). I think weather will play more of a factor than Hack's ability; in almost every game where we haven't had oppressive wind and rain, Hack's been a pretty darn good quarterback.

Was there only bad weather when we had the ball?

Licata (Buffalo) 24-35, 205 YDS, 2 TD, 1 INT vs 14-27, 128 YDS, 1 TD
Laviano (Rutgers) 27-42, 251 YDS, 2 INT vs 10-19, 141 YDS, 1 INT

I guess those guys are All-Americans based on your barometer, Contrarian Richard.

He needs to take something off the shorter passes in order to hit people in stride, as opposed to stumbling/stopping/falling/diving to make the catch, or taking one off the facemask. He needs to get through his progressions faster, and take off or throw it away after the third option. His coaches need to call routes to use the middle of the field (SLANTS/INS/STACKS!) and provide him with a safety valve, but he is not blameless in all of this.

Great thread. Only Hackenberg can be responsible for a Penn State loss. The rest of the team can take the week off since it is all about the quarterback.

OSU was better last year, and PSU played the sort of game that would have beaten them if it wasn't for the crooked and/or incompetent officials.

I think most of you guys are unrealistic! Did you see what Duke did to Army? If this game is closer than 17 points I'll be stunned and consider it a great effort from PSU! I see 34-13 best case scenario! Just opinion but very comfortable defending it!

Sigh... so you want to play that game? Did you see what Indiana did to OSU?

Regardless, Duke plays in the SAME DIVISION with a team that runs the triple option. They see it EVERY year. Add to that the headline I saw online about the game that was something like "Duke capitalizes on Army mistakes". I wouldn't worry about that game too much.

So totally unreasonable to put this game on Hacks shoulders.....it's gonna be all about the guys in front of him.

So totally unreasonable to put this game on the OL's shoulders.....

Just kidding, but the game rests on the shoulders of the entire team. Especially on it' NFL prospect and 3rd year QB. Hack can't just sit back in the pocket, take sacks, and blame his OL and WRs.

Just kidding, but the game rests on the shoulders of the entire team. Especially on it' NFL prospect and 3rd year QB. Hack can't just sit back in the pocket, take sacks, and blame his OL and WRs.

Agree with that for sure.....if that is all the staff gives him to work with, he has no chance. It's unlikely you're going to be successful running the ball, so you're going to have to throw it. When you throw, we'll be in press coverage on the outside and Darron Lee (#43) will be coming more often than not...typically to Bosa's side. You're gonna have to move the pocket, quick throws, draws and screens to attack the pressure rather than avoid it....it is gonna be there, to not have a plan that tries to punish it and let Hack drop back into an incoming tsunami of scarlet (black in this game I guess, that's weird to say) is just dumb.....imo. That's not on Hack.....receivers are going to have to break press coverage, get some separation and the staff is going to have to put them in positions to be successful. That won't be in a crumbling pocket behind center.....on the flip side, our offense has a pretty stout defense that they'll have to attack as well. Ain't gonna be easy.....

Reactions: EPC FAN

If Hack is only an average College QB, then I agree with your statement that it is unreasonable to put this game on Hacks shoulders.

However, if he is one of the top College QBs in the nation, which I believe he has the potential to be, then it is hardly unreasonable to ask him to put the team on his shoulders and make everyone else's play rise to his level of play. This has not happened to date.

Great QBs regularly make lesser offenses look much better. Big Ben is a great example. Big Ben's career is littered with sub par offensive lines where he had to take a lot of sacks during the season. Even when he had poor offensive lines, you could still flat out tell he was still the best player on the offense. As of this date, the same cannot be said for Hack. If he is truly as good as many believe he is, it is time to start showing it.

With all due respect, I have never heard Hackenberg place blame on anyone. There have been varying theories amongst the experts here, myself included, on the offensive woes, including Hackenberg, the wide receivers, the tight ends, the offensive line, the play calling, player development, etc. I, for one, do not see it as one problem but a combination of things that rear their head at different times. Certainly Hackenberg is not immune to criticism, but he is hardly the only problem on offense.

Reactions: NelsonMunce
If Hack is only an average College QB, then I agree with your statement that it is unreasonable to put this game on Hacks shoulders.

However, if he is one of the top College QBs in the nation, which I believe he has the potential to be, then it is hardly unreasonable to ask him to put the team on his shoulders and make everyone else's play rise to his level of play. This has not happened to date.

Great QBs regularly make lesser offenses look much better. Big Ben is a great example. Big Ben's career is littered with sub par offensive lines where he had to take a lot of sacks during the season. Even when he had poor offensive lines, you could still flat out tell he was still the best player on the offense. As of this date, the same cannot be said for Hack. If he is truly as good as many believe he is, it is time to start showing it.
+1000

OSU was better last year, and PSU played the sort of game that would have beaten them if it wasn't for the crooked and/or incompetent officials.

Regardless, Duke plays in the SAME DIVISION with a team that runs the triple option. They see it EVERY year. Add to that the headline I saw online about the game that was something like "Duke capitalizes on Army mistakes". I wouldn't worry about that game too much.

That's the good thing about playing the games! We will see! I look at Temple, Army and SDTU and can't get to a point where I see this team overachieving in a game at Columbus! Can they keep it close? Maybe but probably not IMO

That's the good thing about playing the games! We will see! I look at Temple, Army and SDTU and can't get to a point where I see this team overachieving in a game at Columbus! Can they keep it close? Maybe but probably not IMO

Coaching staff going to have to play aggressive on O like Indiana or no shot at a win. No matter how good the D plays, if the O is vanilla OSU will win. If Barkley plays, Hack is on point and the OL plays decent PSU will have a very good shot.

Accuracy (or lack thereof) aside, my most prominent worry every game, let alone with their athletes, is the pass in the flat. Just a ticking pick six time bomb. Gona happen again this season!

Thank you

Hack is a top 10 pick in 2016 regardless of the outcome Sat. Smart GM's know the next Andrew Luck when they see it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT