ADVERTISEMENT

Time runoff w/injury in our game versus UT/Arkansas game. Help me out...

OhioLion

Jul 11, 2001
Heart of America, Archbold, OH
I was not watching the game, but listening to the Rocket announcers during the last couple of minutes today.

In the Penn State game, offensive player injured and a 10-second runoff is the rule and the last 7 seconds ticked off. We all saw that.

Toledo game - Arkansas making their last drive and they have a player injured with 24 seconds left. Nothing was said by the announcers, so I am curious why no 10-second runoff against Arkansas? They would have been down to 14 seconds at midfield. Instead, they complete a couple of passes down to the 16 with 11 seconds left (which to me should have been 1 second). They took two more shots at the end zone, which to me should have been 1.

What am I missing with this new rule?

BTW, I believe it was Robert Smith who called the rule barbaric. An injured player on the field and you penalize the team?

Thanks,

OL

I was not watching the game, but listening to the Rocket announcers during the last couple of minutes today.

In the Penn State game, offensive player injured and a 10-second runoff is the rule and the last 7 seconds ticked off. We all saw that.

Toledo game - Arkansas making their last drive and they have a player injured with 24 seconds left. Nothing was said by the announcers, so I am curious why no 10-second runoff against Arkansas? They would have been down to 14 seconds at midfield. Instead, they complete a couple of passes down to the 16 with 11 seconds left (which to me should have been 1 second). They took two more shots at the end zone, which to me should have been 1.

BTW, I believe it was Robert Smith who called the rule barbaric. An injured player on the field and you penalize the team?

Thanks,

OL
If team has time out there is no run off. Prevents teams from faking injury to stop clock.

PSU had no time put left so 10 second penalty enforced

From looking at the box score from the game it appears that the ending result of all the plays on the last drive was a clock stoppage. This was due to a first down or a incomplete pass. As long as the clock is stopped no clock runoff is required.

If PSU had a time out left they would had been charged the time out instead of the clock runoff.

From looking at the box score from the game it appears that the ending result of all the plays on the last drive was a clock stoppage. This was due to a first down or a incomplete pass. As long as the clock is stopped no clock runoff is required.
Psu completed pass but was short of 1st down clock stopped because of injury. PSU no TO left so 10 sec run off

Thanks,

OL
If a player is down for injury and the clock is running (not out of bounds, incomplete pass or first down) the opponent has the choice to enforce a 10 second run off. The team is able to use a timeout if they have one to avoid the 10 second run off.

Here is my question; from when is the ten seconds run off? PSU had 12 or 13 seconds left at the conclusion of the play. That would have given PSU time to get a FG team on. Perhaps the other new rule, you need three seconds to spike the ball. Regardless, PSU should have had time to throw into the end zone. I think the refs got the call wrong.

Here is my question; from when is the ten seconds run off? PSU had 12 or 13 seconds left at the conclusion of the play. That would have given PSU time to get a FG team on. Perhaps the other new rule, you need three seconds to spike the ball. Regardless, PSU should have had time to throw into the end zone. I think the refs got the call wrong.
It is from the time when the clock is stopped for the injury. It was the right call. The confusion was if Penn State had gained enough for the first down.

Reactions: Obliviax

Thanks,

OL

from the posts, itsounds like no one saw the arkansas game. no one seems to know whether they had a time out. i'm guessing most of us weren't interested in the game... but i sure as hell loved the outcome!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT