ADVERTISEMENT

Time between snaps

PSU65

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2001
Can someone explain to me, why, when we had the ball at the end with about 1:41 left, we didn't take the max time between snaps. We left about 15 seconds for each of our snaps. If we did, they wouldn't have had the time to score. Please explain.

Can someone explain to me, why, when we had the ball at the end with about 1:41 left, we didn't take the max time between snaps. We left about 15 seconds for each of our snaps. If we did, they wouldn't have had the time to score. Please explain.
It’s not gentlemanly to beat the other team using a “clock”.

Welcome to football. Can always use new fans. The clock was stopped prior to each of those plays. It made no difference when we snapped it as far as the game clock was concerned under those circumstances. That said, there were examples of what you point out both in the OSU game and earlier in this game. I imagine in those cases coaches would say we snap early if we have a good look and don't want to give the D a chance to adjust. Certainly doesn't look wise though.

Reactions: FightOnState
Of course, the real question is why did Trace not stay in bounds on 3rd down? Gave MSU more options on the final drive because they had that wildcard final TO left. It was on the other side of the field from where we sit, so perhaps he really thought he could turn the corner to make the 1st down. I don't know.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Of course, the real question is why did Trace not stay in bounds on 3rd down? Gave MSU more options on the final drive because they had that wildcard final TO left. It was on the other side of the field from where we sit, so perhaps he really thought he could turn the corner to make the 1st down. I don't know.

No, the real question is why didn’t Franklin have the balls to call a pass.
First down = game over = Rose Bowl remix

Reactions: Paguy35
No, the real question is why didn’t Franklin have the balls to call a pass.
First down = game over = Rose Bowl remix
Since it wasn't off of a timeout, I assume that Rahne made the call.Today's game was on the entire O, coaches included. It was still a poor decision by Trace to end up out of bounds. I had a bad feeling at the start of the second half. MSU came out ready. They were bouncing up and down on the sideline. Penn State looked flat.

Seriously?

The game clock wasn’t running (MSU has used timeouts after both 1st and 2nd Downs)

Good grief
They didn't take a TO on the 3rd or 4th down. That's about 30 extra seconds we gave them.

Welcome to football. Can always use new fans. The clock was stopped prior to each of those plays. It made no difference when we snapped it as far as the game clock was concerned under those circumstances. That said, there were examples of what you point out both in the OSU game and earlier in this game. I imagine in those cases coaches would say we snap early if we have a good look and don't want to give the D a chance to adjust. Certainly doesn't look wise though.
My bad on that. But they only took a TO on our 1st and 2nd down. We left about 15 seconds on both our 3rd and 4th downs--that's about 30 seconds we gave them. I think they scored with about 13 seconds left. So maybe I'm not a total idiot.

They didn't take a TO on the 3rd or 4th down. That's about 30 extra seconds we gave them.[/QUOTE]

NOOOOO! before 1st down doesn't run. Before 2d down MSU took time out. Clock doesn't run. Before 3rd down MSU called timeout. Clock doesn't run. Before 4th down clock was not running because Trace ran out of bounds on 3rd down so clock stops.

We seem to tighten up as the fourth quarter ticks away. It's becoming more than an aberration. So many opportunities missed.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day so said Scarlett to whoever was listening.

They called a TO after first and second down, and trace ran out of bounds (stopping the clock, foolishly) on third down. Then we punted. Running the play clock down didn’t matter.

He'll never be confused with a Mensa Society member. He was never going to get the 1st down, but allowed himself to run out of bounds, this saving MSU another TO.

Mind boggling.

They didn't take a TO on the 3rd or 4th down. That's about 30 extra seconds we gave them.

NOOOOO! before 1st down doesn't run. Before 2d down MSU took time out. Clock doesn't run. Before 3rd down MSU called timeout. Clock doesn't run. Before 4th down clock was not running because Trace ran out of bounds on 3rd down so clock stops.[/QUOTE]
You're right.

My bad on that. But they only took a TO on our 1st and 2nd down. We left about 15 seconds on both our 3rd and 4th downs--that's about 30 seconds we gave them. I think they scored with about 13 seconds left. So maybe I'm not a total idiot.
Actually, you are a total idiot.

Yes , Michigan State punts with under 2 minutes left in the game. Pretty much a slap in your face when the opposing team is down by 3, 4th quarter and they had confidence that we weren't going to get a first down. So like clock work we run the football to make them burn timeouts and then run out of bounds. For the love of God I just wanted them to throw the ball.... it was just like a script and we played into it.

When Mich St punted I was shocked Figured they just handed us the W. Dantonio is a hell of a coach

This happened at the end of half too backed up where they could have ran 13 more seconds off the clock as MSU didn't use a time out after first down. They snap the ball with 13 on the play clock. MSU gets 3 points because of this if the move the ball 7 more yards.

Its the "little things" that continually cost this team with such a small margin for error in these losses. Its time and time again. Its inexcusable and it starts with the HC.

Who cares, its 3rd and 8, you need a first down to close game, you throw.

MSU didn't even use that final TO and scored TD with plenty of time to spare. Sad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT