ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Bream

So JF should just toss him aside even though Tim had no part in this incident? Sounds like a comment worthy of the old guard BoT.

IF Bream has been ignoring subpoenas so that the front desk at Lasch and any other PSU facility is being harassed endlessly because they can't get him, then YES absolutely he needs to be removed until he gets his personal life in order. PSU should not be dragged through this stuff because he's avoiding court.

Reactions: jerseylion109
IF Bream has been ignoring subpoenas so that the front desk at Lasch and any other PSU facility is being harassed endlessly because they can't get him, then YES absolutely he needs to be removed until he gets his personal life in order. PSU should not be dragged through this stuff because he's avoiding court.
On the bright side at least we know someone at the Lasch bulding is montoring who gets access.

Reactions: bwifan
So what do you want JF to tell Bream why he is being terminated? Before all the facts come out in the case and it is even tried in a court of law. If you're wrong you are setting PSU up for a huge wrongful termination suit I do believe....maybe Obli can confirm this but to me if we learned 1 thing in the JS fiasco is a rush to judgement before hearing all the facts

He lived in the house as an advisor. If he was there that evening then he is part of the problem because as an advisor it was his job to make sure the house was run smoothly, otherwise the frat didn't need him there. IF he is not responding to subpoenas then he needs to go on leave until he figures it out. It's a distraction.

Why does the Pennlive article(no link, no hits) written by Charles Thompson refer to this person as "Penn State Football Trainer"? Folks I'm quite a ways away from the action here, so I could use some input here. I remember when I was asking folks "Is Gary Schultz a cop" and it was like a Quinnipiac poll, 59% yes and 39% no and the rest undecided. Is this guy "The Penn State Football Trainer"? The last thing I want to see is an ESPN scroll today. I have no idea what is going on but if there is anything to this then please Coach Franklin call the cops, fire him, have a press conference, or whatever you need to do.

That's fair, but the Julius incident doesn't exactly portray Bream as callous, does it?

Don't think he's callous but a frat setting is completely different from his duties as an athletic trainer. Frats/Sororities usually defer to tradition (whatever that is) including those 10, 15, 20 years removed from said org. It's a different dynamic.

his role in the beta death is starting to pick up traction from desdspin, and other media outlets. This team doesn't need any distractions right now. Franklin should let him go for being close to this kind of thing at all
Agree 100%. Besides, why was he living at the frat in the first place? Is he homeless?

Why does the Pennlive article(no link, no hits) written by Charles Thompson refer to this person as "Penn State Football Trainer"?

Because he is the head trainer for the football team. He may have other teams as well, but it's accurate.

I want to see EXACTLY what his involvement was and I don't mean from the defense attorney's or from SPM because I don't trust either of those slugs.
And frankly I dont give an F what deadspin and the other media outlets think, we went down that road once before and supplicated ourselves to them and they still took their pound of flesh.
What I do want to know is why anyone one, at the University, thought him living at a Frat house was a good idea?
Exactly my thoughts. Why was he living at the frat?

Because he is the head trainer for the football team. He may have other teams as well, but it's accurate.
If he is the head trainer for the football team does James Franklin have the authority to fire him?

Don't think he's callous but a frat setting is completely different from his duties as an athletic trainer. Frats/Sororities usually defer to tradition (whatever that is) including those 10, 15, 20 years removed from said org. It's a different dynamic.

Doesn't matter either way. If Bream was served with a subpoena and didn't comply, he's in trouble. If he told frat members to destroy communication relative to the events surrounding Tim Piazza's death, he's in bigger trouble. We shall see.

Amazing the national media ignored, or glossed over, his role in getting Joey Julius the help he needed. He very well could have saved the young man's life.

Separate matter and I don't know how many adults would hear Julius' plea and say "ok thanks for telling me now go home".

If he is the head trainer for the football team does James Franklin have the authority to fire him?

Probably not because he has responsibilities that extend beyond the football team. That wouldn't prevent Franklin from insisting that he be removes for his capacity as trainer for the football team.

Probably not because he has responsibilities that extend beyond the football team. That wouldn't prevent Franklin from insisting that he be removes for his capacity as trainer for the football team.

Bream's office shouldn't be confused with Coach Galt and the S&C team. Bream's folks tape the players, deal with injuries. They report to the AD's office. I agree, Franklin could request Bream be replaced, at least until this is resolved.

Doesn't matter either way. If Bream was served with a subpoena and didn't comply, he's in trouble. If he told frat members to destroy communication relative to the events surrounding Tim Piazza's death, he's in bigger trouble. We shall see.

Oh, I agree with you. I was just responding to someone who asked why would he help Julius and not act in this situation.

Bream's office shouldn't be confused with Coach Galt and the S&C team. Bream's folks tape the players, deal with injuries. They report to the AD's office. I agree, Franklin could request Bream be replaced, at least until this is resolved.

No confusion there. Bream and Gault hold equivalent titles, but head separate areas. Ultimately they report up to the AD, but so does everyone else in the Athletic Department.

In Bream's case, it doesn't seem that his primary reporting line is to Franklin. If that's so, I don't believe that Franklin should have primary responsibility to look into Bream's conduct in this case. Clearly, someone in the Athletic Department should, but, again, I don't believe it's Franklin.

Reactions: BBrown
He and his wife split and she got the house. He was at the frat to get himself back on his feet, but he was there for an inordinate amount of time. Residence Inn is only $200/week.
I guy making well into the 6 figure salary range should be able to find somewhere to live. I think there probably other motives then no place to live. This is where someone at Penn State should have said it time to find a real place to live. Having a Assistant AD using a frat as a flop house is not a good idea.

No confusion there. Bream and Gault hold equivalent titles, but head separate areas. Ultimately they report up to the AD, but so does everyone else in the Athletic Department.

In Bream's case, it doesn't seem that his primary reporting line is to Franklin. If that's so, I don't believe that Franklin should have primary responsibility to look into Bream's conduct in this case. Clearly, someone in the Athletic Department should, but, again, I don't believe it's Franklin.

Yeah, I highly doubt trainers report to the coaches. They are part of the athletic department.

If he was the "adviser" for that fraternity, why didn't he advise them to end hazing? Also, if he was "getting back on his feet", why didn't he find a place to live with adults? Was he flat broke? No adults would take him in? Guy was the head athletic trainer at Penn State, and he didn't have 250 bucks to get a room for a week? Please, somebody at the athletic department needs to end this before it becomes a scroll on ESPN.

Reactions: BBrown and PSU_Nut
I don't think that Bream was legally served. When a PI was trying to serve me he left the subpoena with my parents. I talked to my lawyer and he said I was not served.

Well and good, then Bream needs to address the situation and not drag other employees into his mess. It's just unfair to the people who work around him.

Most well run university's I would think would have their lawyers running and controlling all of this at this point.... However at PSU we have seen how this management team thinks and operates...

62c0412cfed712e2d5a20f07db106b3c.jpg

I don't know, but this is the detective testifying here, so let's not pretend that it's unjustified.

Where did the cop say anything about destroying evidence? He said it was tough to serve Bream? Is that a crime? Doubt it.

My God the level of incompetence between the AD, the BOT, etc...beyond comprehension. I am trying to fathom how a grown man living in a frat house, was allowed to continue, and how nobody in one of the biggest athletic departments in America would think this was a good idea.

Last edited:
I guy making well into the 6 figure salary range should be able to find somewhere to live. I think there probably other motives then no place to live. This is where someone at Penn State should have said it time to find a real place to live. Having a Assistant AD using a frat as a flop house is not a good idea.

+100. Ok I get that maybe it was an emergency and he needed a place to stay for a COUPLE of days but thats it.

If he was the "adviser" for that fraternity, why didn't he advise them to end hazing? Also, if he was "getting back on his feet", why didn't he find a place to live with adults? Was he flat broke? No adults would take him in? Guy was the head athletic trainer at Penn State, and he didn't have 250 bucks to get a room for a week? Please, somebody at the athletic department needs to end this before it becomes a scroll on ESPN.

And if he turned Beta into an exemplary house, nobody would be questioning why he lived there. The focus should not be on that, but rather his involvement in this case.

He's a member of that fraternity so his ties aren't out of the blue here. With that said, I don't understand his reasoning for staying there either. But perhaps that was a condition of the frat remaining in that house. If that was the case, he didn't do a very good job of making sure things didn't get out of hand.

And if he turned Beta into an exemplary house, nobody would be questioning why he lived there. The focus should not be on that, but rather his involvement in this case.
Thanks for the information Art. This just hit and some of us are trying to figure it out, the info helps.

Where did the cop say anything about destroying evidence? He said it was tough to serve Bream? Is that a crime? Doubt it.

No, no you're confusing an investigator serving the subpoena with what is going on at the trial. The defense, meaning one of the kids, said that they had a conversation with Bream and he told them to get rid of the GroupME messages so they wouldn't be screenshot by the media.

Laws vary by state. In some, if you know or should have reason to know that someone is trying to serve you with a subpoena and take steps to avoid it, you can be found in contempt, In other states, not. Believe that in most states if normal service procedures yield no service, then a warrant can be sworn out on you.

Why does the Pennlive article(no link, no hits) written by Charles Thompson refer to this person as "Penn State Football Trainer"? Folks I'm quite a ways away from the action here, so I could use some input here. I remember when I was asking folks "Is Gary Schultz a cop" and it was like a Quinnipiac poll, 59% yes and 39% no and the rest undecided. Is this guy "The Penn State Football Trainer"? The last thing I want to see is an ESPN scroll today. I have no idea what is going on but if there is anything to this then please Coach Franklin call the cops, fire him, have a press conference, or whatever you need to do.

Yes he is the head trainer. I have known him for 35 years we were in the same major at PSU and worked together as student trainers for football.

The S&C coach and Trainer for football have traditionally been the head of those departments university-wide at Penn State. In theory if Franklin didn't want Bream around the team he would no longer be an AD. I will say that in the new Penn State that might not be true anymore.

No, no you're confusing an investigator serving the subpoena with what is going on at the trial. The defense, meaning one of the kids, said that they had a conversation with Bream and he told them to get rid of the GroupME messages so they wouldn't be screenshot by the media.

As I remember he told them not to talk to the media or in public forums.

Do you think it is smart for a bunch of frat guys to admit hazing, forced drinking and killing a pledge in a public forum?

Bream is irrelevant. REal problem here is the moron Beta bros. If Bream did not exist pSU would still be in the news. You all would be crying about the BOT not having an advisor living in the house.

This. A grown man making a good salary should not have to live in a frat. Even if he just wanted to help advise the members (for whatever reason), living in the frat is nonsensical. Common sense would tell you that whatever his reasons may have been, they probably weren't good.

The S&C coach and Trainer for football have traditionally been the head of those departments university-wide at Penn State. In theory if Franklin didn't want Bream around the team he would no longer be an AD. I will say that in the new Penn State that might not be true anymore.
Its probably a situation where Franklin's input carries a lot of weight.

ADVERTISEMENT