ADVERTISEMENT

Tidioute

Thanks, fellas. Seems a simple enough pronunciation. Dunno where my head was.
tidioute.jpg

This thread has restored my faith in the state of our board values. Faith that was greatly shaken when I witnessed the thoughtful & articulate responses in this thread.

You are posters of considerable magnitude. You have my gratitude.
Whatever your purpose in seeking the proper pronuciation of TIDIOUTE, do NOT EVER take a meat thermometer there, try to buy one there, or even talk about it.

They will kill you.

Z,
Curious about your interest in Tidioute.
It’s an interesting little town out in the middle of nowhere. Beautiful country on the Allegheny River.

Here is a pic from the overlook above town (if it pasted from my phone). I drive through there on occasion and finally hit the overlook. It is well worth the ten minute drive.

hJMj6v

Little known history of Tiddy-OOT:

The town is named for Ebeneezer "Tiddy" Tidwell, a Christian fundamentalist Canadian from the Kawartha Lakes Region of Ontario.

Tidwell possessed what he believed were truths revealed to him by God, among them that women in his community, when in public, must always appear with their breasts revealed. This, along with his distinctly Canadian pronunciation of "out" as "oot," led derisive observers from nearby Warren County settlements to call the town Tiddyoot. Embarassed locals later changed the spelling to induce mispronunciation so as to hide the mocking origin of the town name.

Interestingly, Tidwell hated meat thermometers, seeing them as hopelessly sexualized tools of Satan. The entire notion of "hot meat" reportedly made him shudder with revulsion. Imagine Outrage Bob being served moist scones by a gloveless, tongless nosepicker.

As a result, the people of this burg still serve hopelessly over- or undercooked meat dishes.

The town is named for Ebeneezer "Tiddy" Tidwell, a Christian fundamentalist Canadian from the Kawartha Lakes Region of Ontario.

Tidwell possessed what he believed were truths revealed to him by God, among them that women in his community, when in public, must always appear with their breasts revealed. This, along with his distinctly Canadian pronunciation of "out" as "oot," led derisive observers from nearby Warren County settlements to call the town Tiddyoot. Embarassed locals later changed the spelling to induce mispronunciation so as to hide the mocking origin of the town name.

Interestingly, Tidwell hated meat thermometers, seeing them as hopelessly sexualized tools of Satan. The entire notion of "hot meat" reportedly made him shudder with revulsion. Imagine Outrage Bob being served moist scones by a gloveless, tongless nosepicker.

As a result, the people of this burg still serve hopelessly over- or undercooked meat dishes.
the-wisdom-of-cheers-cliff-clavin-212.jpg

It is really a bi-lingual double entendres. The French/Canadian and Iroquoian. In Iroquoian it means “protrusion”.

Reactions: Zenophile
Z,
Curious about your interest in Tidioute.
It’s an interesting little town out in the middle of nowhere. Beautiful country on the Allegheny River.
SB, I've been through Tidioute a number of times and I wish I could claim that my interest (for the purpose of this thread) wasn't feigned. But, alas.

This thread is the direct result of having viewed a thread that was perfectly set up for the brand of sophomoric humor that I've come to expect (& very much enjoy) from this board. What I witnessed there put me into a state of indescribable shock & horror. For nearly 5 hours that thread flourished with several thoughtful, informative & well articulated responses until someone (thank you @massimoManca II) FINALLY did the right thing. 5 hours is simply unacceptable IMHO.

So back to "Tidioute." I must confess that it was chosen not for reasons of genuine interest per se, but rather because of the chuckle that I (mostly unapologetically) get every time I may utter or hear the word. I was simply setting the board up to right itself -- and I'm happy to report that it did not disappoint.

Last edited:
Sometimes I journey to Warren, PA for my job from the Pittsburgh south hills ... I like the shortcut from Franklin to Titusville and from there to Youngsville and eastward on Route 6 into Warren. Did this just 2 days ago.

On occasion, I veer from the paved highway and travel through Tidioute, cross the river and follow Route 62.

It's always exciting driving through this quaint village, seeing the signs advertising this year's fishing derby and thankful that I am never there on that day. One can only imagine the hustle and bustle of the event.

In the future, I will be looking for bare bosoms ... thanks, demlion.

SB, I've been through Tidioute a number of times and I wish I could claim that my interest (for the purpose of this thread) wasn't feigned. But, alas.

This thread is the direct result of having viewed a thread that was perfectly set up for the brand of sophomoric humor that I've come to expect (& very much enjoy) from this board. What I witnessed there put me into a state of indescribable shock & horror. For nearly 5 hours that thread flourished with several thoughtful, informative & well articulated responses until someone (thank you @massimoManca II) FINALLY did the right thing. 5 hours is simply unacceptable IMHO.

So back to "Tidioute." I must confess that it was chosen not for reasons of genuine interest per se, but rather because of the chuckle that I (mostly unapologetically) get every time I may utter or hear the word. I was simply setting the board up to right itself -- and I'm happy to report that it did not disappoint.

I played baseball against teams from Tidioute as a kid in Little League. My friends and i were astonished to find that the natives had an accent--that is, they had a slight flavor of a Yinzer accent, whereas our town was a Buffalo-influenced patois. In our terms, they "talked like babies."

Somehow, the linguistic border between Buffalo and Pgh is somewhere between Sugar Grove and Tidioute.

Well then, allow me to get things started on the small Westmoreland County hamlet of Lycippus. Some will tell you that it's pronounced lie-SIP-us but I know for a fact that it's LICK-ee-puss.

osMyP5S.gif

Sometimes I journey to Warren, PA for my job from the Pittsburgh south hills ... I like the shortcut from Franklin to Titusville and from there to Youngsville and eastward on Route 6 into Warren. Did this just 2 days ago.

On occasion, I veer from the paved highway and travel through Tidioute, cross the river and follow Route 62.

It's always exciting driving through this quaint village, seeing the signs advertising this year's fishing derby and thankful that I am never there on that day. One can only imagine the hustle and bustle of the event.

In the future, I will be looking for bare bosoms ... thanks, demlion.
Have you ever stopped for lunch (or a snort) at The Tippy Canoe Inn?
the-front-of-the-tippy.jpg

Have you ever stopped for lunch (or a snort) at The Tippy Canoe Inn?
the-front-of-the-tippy.jpg

Sorry, Ziggy

I am always in a hurry and usually just drive by this fine establishment.

Do you recommend?

I have considered doing a weekend canoe trip from the Kinzua Dam (above Warren) down to the Tionesta area. I suspect that this would make for a pleasant stop were I to be so bold to have a rustic adventure..

Sorry, Ziggy

I am always in a hurry and usually just drive by this fine establishment.

Do you recommend?

I have considered doing a weekend canoe trip from the Kinzua Dam (above Warren) down to the Tionesta area. I suspect that this would make for a pleasant stop were I to be so bold to have a rustic adventure..
I cannot recommend the place for food, it is just a tad too “spartan” for my culinary curiosity to overtake my survival instincts. I suspect that this would be a fun place in the peak summer season to relax and unwind in the evening. When you pop in on your way through town on a midweek winter afternoon and just want a snort to get the refinery/benzene taste out of the back of your throat, it is not so welcoming.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT