ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbit on a big 2023 target…

f962a531adda69d0ce46dd274f1053dc.gif

All due respect, kind of unfair to guess a kid has an academic issue just because he hasn't decided on a school yet. Kids just say "soon" all the time without really thinking about a legitimate timeline I feel.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

I am starting to wonder if he ran into trouble with grades or something along those lines. Total speculation on my part, but he did 'announce' back in March that his decision was coming very soon. I wonder if he is in summer school right now which might provide an indication of a GPA repair job. Who knows, I still want him badly.
This post reflects on someone, but not McGowan.

This post reflects on someone, but not McGowan.
I don’t hold it against a kid who makes a fully thought through decision. That’s a sign of maturity. So many kids today make decisions upon whatever provides immediate gratification. We should preach patience and long term perspective. I believe that would be Cael’s counsel. Of course, if you want to be a National Champion………..

So, Mullen commits in a week or two, followed by McGowan shortly afterward? That’s how this works, right?
Pulp Fiction Please GIF by MIRAMAX

Reactions: PASLP2
Guess it’s all viewed differently. Could be a full scholarship-top 8 in country potential. Instead will have to battle real hard to be a top 2,000 guy at his position.
I'm guessing he has more faith in his ability than you do. Full scholarship gets him a free College Degree....plus his chance to play football. Good for him. Wrestlers make good Lineman :)

Not blue chip wrestlers. ..all blue chip wrestlers get a full ride. Plus huge NIL deals.

That's why I can't figure out how Iowa does it with these great recruiting classes of late.
Everybody magically becomes in state student athletes, plus 9.9 per year is nearly 40 scholarships don't you know.

Coon attempted an NFL training camp after not playing a lick of football since high school. Robell has a accepted an opportunity to play FCS football FKA 1-aa. Not much of a correlation IMO.
I was repying to another post that said wrestlers make good linemen. Took it as the other poster was saying he should wrestle in college then go football after.

I was repying to another post that said wrestlers make good linemen. Took it as the other poster was saying he should wrestle in college then go football after.
Carleton Haselrig and Stephen Neal didn't play football in college and had long successful careers in the NFL. They are probably the exception but it has been done.

Carleton Haselrig and Stephen Neal didn't play football in college and had long successful careers in the NFL. They are probably the exception but it has been done.
Yes they did, you are correct, you're also correct in saying they are exceptions.

In today's world you need to be multi-talented but specializing in 1 has evolved.

NFL linemen are freaks of nature. At 285 or under 6 foot tall, you're tiny, so for most 'bigger' heavyweights that means gaining 30-50 more pounds without losing quickness. Coon was a dancing bear with limited athleticism, I thought he stood no chance in the NFL day 1 and said so then.

I would be interested in seeing Gable up 30lbs with his power and athleticism. Maybe, just maybe he could be a defensive lineman? Nah.

Haselrig and Neal are unicorns. You could go a decade or more between guys successfully making that transition.

Not blue chip wrestlers. ..all blue chip wrestlers get a full ride. Plus huge NIL deals.

That's why I can't figure out how Iowa does it with these great recruiting classes of late.
all blue chips do not get full rides I know for a fact Bo and Mark Hall paid their own ways!It helps if your parents got money!

all blue chips do not get full rides I know for a fact Bo and Mark Hall paid their own ways!It helps if your parents got money!
giphy.gif

Sorry, but I don't get what tullfan68 said that was so offensive. I don't know whether or not Bo and Mark were getting full rides or if their parents picked up the whole tab. It really doesn't matter because they were clearly happy enough with their situation to stick with it. Mark even got robbed - not by PSU but by the NCAA. I'm pretty sure he hasn't changed his mind about whether or not he made the best choice for where he wanted to wrestle.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
I would like to again remind people that you can simply put toxic posters on ignore and not have to reply to their bad takes. In fact that is preferred... wet blanket out!
I'm just waiting for him to tell Quentin Wright to dump his wife.

ADVERTISEMENT