ADVERTISEMENT

Tics, Ticks, Pancetta and Bacon ...

Now, back to animals. Permethrin, if dry, will not harm cats. Signs of Lyme disease are the usual. Laziness, loss of appetite, swollen areas, particularly lymph nodes, etc etc.

lyme sucks! Couple of comments. From Clearfield County and like most never saw a tick (plenty of Grouse hunting) until I moved to Va. Now we're covered when bird hunting in Clfd co. In Va, bought some land near the Pedlar River (Blue Ridge mountains) but easily let it go when offered a profit for it. We non-affectionately called it the tick farm. Then kept moving west in search of Grouse in Va. Ended up in Highland county and built a house overlooking the Blue Grass Valley in Hightown. I'm about 3300' elevation with the surrounding mountains exceeding 4k (great bicycle ride called the Mountain Mamma). Bought the place in 2004 and never saw a tick for ~10 years. Then they started showing up.... very slowly... to the extent a dog or someone will get one when hiking around. Same thing on deer. Not a one until recently...

On to Lyme sucks - Wife diagnosed - which can be hard as CDC test sucks and they still don't acknowledge chronic lyme. Some Doc's call it 'chronic fatigue syndrome' as they weren't familiar. Saw lots of Doc's all over - even went to Utah/Idaho to a clinic. First Doctor compared Lyme to Aids in respect to the discovery/acknowledgement - No one did anything there until enough people started dying. Regardless, she went through many stages - antibiotics, pic lines, etc. Doc's performed all kinds of tests and even extracted things like her gall bladder. Really hard listening to someone say 'there is nothing wrong' and insinuate it might be 'all in her head'. Today she is still kicking, still constant numbness and head pressure and little health issues here and there. The one 'remedy' that seemed to help was apitherapy. The bonus it got us into some good honey!

Another tragic story is when my oldest son got it playing soccer in HS. The last time his head didn't hurt was that summer - one day at the beach. He's working through it but has many more health symptoms such as allergies, food sensitives, etc. Alcohols is a no-no but the silver lining there was a hangover was just like any other day when he did drink in school. He's made it through college and working a good job. Love how he is always researching the latest...

My assessment is that there are a lot of remedies out there and I do think they all work - but not necessarily for everyone. You got the find the one that works with your chemistry/make-up. And most of all, Ticks suck.

Yes sir. I anyways thought the ticks in Pa were bad.. then I moved to Missouri. I can’t go to the mailbox and not get those bastards
Went on a Boy Scout trip on the Eleven Point. Didn't bother putting the fly over my tent, but woke up to rain coming down. So, I got out, put the fly on, and crawled back in, and immediately felt the creepy crawlies. I pulled seven ticks off, and didn't sleep a wink the rest of the night.

lyme sucks! Couple of comments. From Clearfield County and like most never saw a tick (plenty of Grouse hunting) until I moved to Va. Now we're covered when bird hunting in Clfd co. In Va, bought some land near the Pedlar River (Blue Ridge mountains) but easily let it go when offered a profit for it. We non-affectionately called it the tick farm. Then kept moving west in search of Grouse in Va. Ended up in Highland county and built a house overlooking the Blue Grass Valley in Hightown. I'm about 3300' elevation with the surrounding mountains exceeding 4k (great bicycle ride called the Mountain Mamma). Bought the place in 2004 and never saw a tick for ~10 years. Then they started showing up.... very slowly... to the extent a dog or someone will get one when hiking around. Same thing on deer. Not a one until recently...

On to Lyme sucks - Wife diagnosed - which can be hard as CDC test sucks and they still don't acknowledge chronic lyme. Some Doc's call it 'chronic fatigue syndrome' as they weren't familiar. Saw lots of Doc's all over - even went to Utah/Idaho to a clinic. First Doctor compared Lyme to Aids in respect to the discovery/acknowledgement - No one did anything there until enough people started dying. Regardless, she went through many stages - antibiotics, pic lines, etc. Doc's performed all kinds of tests and even extracted things like her gall bladder. Really hard listening to someone say 'there is nothing wrong' and insinuate it might be 'all in her head'. Today she is still kicking, still constant numbness and head pressure and little health issues here and there. The one 'remedy' that seemed to help was apitherapy. The bonus it got us into some good honey!

Another tragic story is when my oldest son got it playing soccer in HS. The last time his head didn't hurt was that summer - one day at the beach. He's working through it but has many more health symptoms such as allergies, food sensitives, etc. Alcohols is a no-no but the silver lining there was a hangover was just like any other day when he did drink in school. He's made it through college and working a good job. Love how he is always researching the latest...

My assessment is that there are a lot of remedies out there and I do think they all work - but not necessarily for everyone. You got the find the one that works with your chemistry/make-up. And most of all, Ticks suck.

I share your thoughts about chronic Lyme and the CDC's refusal to acknowledge it as a "thing". I suffered for a few years and still have some of the weird stuff about 4 years later now. I'm also a big grouse hunter (have English setter(s)), so I appreciate your thoughts/concerns about pursuing them at times of the year when the ticks can be really plentiful.

Reactions: a_mshaffer
permethrin on your hunting pants - good soaking is good for most of the season... Seresto collar for the dog and Nexguard seems to do the trick thus far for the pup!

I am putting my foot down. This is a commitment thread! No more talk of ticks! :(
Unfortunately, this is often how long offseason threads typically.end up. Some people use this site for information, liked us, and others use the site for that as well to chat about food, trips, ticks, etc. when things get slow. Maybe start a new thread when we hear something about a specific commitment.

Ok…back to wrestling. Did you ever notice that the Brands brother have nervous ticks?
That is what I thought that this thread was about
twitching-dreyfus.gif

Last edited:
This thread has 54,000 views and I still can’t eat tomatoes. And I like turtles.

I was curious, so I was reading about Alpha Gar. Do you have allergic reactions to red meat too?

I did at first. That has subsided. Now it’s strictly tomatoes.
I never knew it effected eating tomatoes also. I have a good friend that has it and cannot eat red meat, I will have to ask him about tomatoes. I believe he eats them, but not really sure.

I never knew it effected eating tomatoes also. I have a good friend that has it and cannot eat red meat, I will have to ask him about tomatoes. I believe he eats them, but not really sure.
I would be interested to know…. I sure miss my garden tomatoes. 😭

ADVERTISEMENT