ADVERTISEMENT

Tics, Ticks, Pancetta and Bacon ...

This thread has it all, from tomatoes to ticks. Like others have said, I never had (or even saw) a tick until I came to SC. And a shout out to Missouri where I spent about three weeks on a project and the ticks ruled the place. Any time I get a tick it goes into a small zip lock bag with the date written on it with my Industrial Sharpie.

Of course the fire ants and chiggers are nasty here, as well. Can't say enough about our beloved Palmetto Bugs and helicopter-sized mosquitoes. At least the Love Bugs aren't too bad here.

Rotten tomatoes do stink, but not a bad as the waste that comes from the local cannery when they are cooking collards. While horses may not stink, they certainly smell. Hogs and goats both stink and smell.

Reactions: LOTOlion
Well to all you expats, know this—Lyme infected deer ticks are as concentrated in central pa today as anywhere in the world. My son can tell you all about it, it stinks.

Reactions: mcpat
Does anyone have memories of or know the current state of the PSU deer pens?

I first visited to the deer pens at PSU in 1978. An older brother of mine was a student. I Greyhounded in from downtown Pittsburgh as a junior high student. Deer hunting was a family tradition for me like many southwestern PA boys, so my brother thought I'd be interested. I remember my brother showing me the deer would eat cigarettes from your hand through the fence. Although maybe not the best role model, he still was my older brother.

I took walks from East Halls to the deer pens as the cheapest of dates in the early 80s. No need or interest in cigarettes then.

About 5 years ago my wife and I tried to visit where I believed the deer pens to be (toward Tofttrees past the Ag fields). We saw an area marked off limits as a biohazardous. I blamed the ticks and the Lyme.

Last edited:
Especially bringing bale's of hay out of a field. Hit a Dillo hole with a small tire tractor and you will end up sitting on your pearls. I keep my empty water bottles to mark them .
Yes. They don’t get to dig in my yard for very long if I see them. *pew pew. lol

Reactions: PD4thespawn
My dog made one a chew toy this morning. That one's hole dogging days are over.
lol I have a shih tzu.. I feel like the armadillo would win. She thinks she tough but weighing in at 7 lbs, not so much. I try and keep an eye on her while she’s out so the bobcats, cyotes, or bald Eagles don’t run off with her

Reactions: danoftw
lol I have a shih tzu.. I feel like the armadillo would win. She thinks she tough but weighing in at 7 lbs, not so much. I try and keep an eye on her while she’s out so the bobcats, cyotes, or bald Eagles don’t run off with her
The Chihuahua thinks he's tough, but our pit-lab has to come to his rescue regularly.

• Haha
Reactions: LOTOlion
Don’t confuse the number of ticks with the number of ticks carrying Lyme disease.

Although the NE is certainly the hotspot for Lyme, I think there are likely more cases in the Carolinas than get diagnosed because some doctors look at the map and assume it's not likely to be Lyme, so they diagnose a bad case of "The Vapors".

Reactions: LOTOlion and mcpat
Although the NE is certainly the hotspot for Lyme, I think there are likely more cases in the Carolinas than get diagnosed because some doctors look at the map and assume it's not likely to be Lyme, so they diagnose a bad case of "The Vapors".
I know that scenario very well (doctors not knowing about Lyme).

Good lord ...good weather is coming, and you guys once again have me petrified to step outside.

I mentioned before that I've had Lyme not once, but twice in my life, but I still hit the woods frequently (just came in from a foraging trip afield). I refuse to live my life in fear and will continue to do the things that I enjoy, whether that makes me brave or stupid, I couldn't say.

I have a great picture of feathers in the fresh snow where it grabbed something. No tracks in or out. Just a barren spot about the size of a rabbit hind end and some ironturds.

I have a great picture of feathers in the fresh snow where it grabbed something. No tracks in or out. Just a barren spot about the size of a rabbit hind end and some ironturds.
We had a pomeranian mix (the ancient one) that lived forever (23 when she passed) I would take her whenever I was walking (not running) the big dog(s) through the woods. The two big ones right now are a 100 pound Shepard Lab rescue and an 80 pound German Shepard. The Shepard Lab mix would never let the ancient one out of her sight, and with either an eagle or a couple hawks flying overhead and never knowing what wildlife might pop up it always made me feel good knowing the dogs would watch over each other.

I first visited to the deer pens at PSU in 1978. An older brother of mine was a student. I Greyhounded in from downtown Pittsburgh as a junior high student. Deer hunting was a family tradition for me like many southwestern PA boys, so my brother thought I'd be interested. I remember my brother showing me the deer would eat cigarettes from your hand through the fence. Although maybe not the best role model, he still was my older brother.

I took walks from East Halls to the deer pens as the cheapest of dates in the early 80s. No need or interest in cigarettes then.

About 5 years ago my wife and I tried to visit where I believed the deer pens to be (toward Tofttrees past the Ag fields). We saw an area marked off limits as a biohazardous. I blamed the ticks and the Lyme.
I believe they are closed to the public due to the bio security requirements in todays CWD cautious world. We used to take family outings there when I was young just to gawk at the large antlers and experience the deer eating out of your hands. Great memories…

Absolutely I remember. My first visit was in the 1974-1975 time frame, and I went every couple years or so until I left the area in 1984. When I returned in 1994, my wife and I went every year or so.

In the early 2000's it was closed to the public to protect the health of the deer. Research and educational activities are still prominent.

I live on a lake and have an eagles nest about 200 yards from my house. Since I’m on a hill I can look down into the nest with binocs. They return every spring. As a matter of fact, they were in the nest a week ago

Saw one tick in my first 18 years in PA, on a deer while skinning it during archery season. After my first field op at Camp Lejeune. NC, I needed assistance gettin 50+ ticks off my body. I had never seen anything like it. Still hate that place.

I live on a lake and have an eagles nest about 200 yards from my house. Since I’m on a hill I can look down into the nest with binocs. They return every spring. As a matter of fact, they were in the nest a week ago
What is LOTO?
@LOTOlion

Last edited:
That’s why I asked, I am at the 6.5 of the Big Niangua. Where are you on the Lake?
Crazy how many of us are here in the Ozarks. If you guys have any kids in youth wrestling, we probably cross paths more than we know!

I grew up going there all the time. When I went to take my daughter and it was closed, I was so disappointed. I think they closed it to the public when they closed the ag barns as well 🙁

Last edited:
Permethrin is fantastic. I will warn everyone that it's deadly to cats.

For those with dogs, it says it's safe for them. We use it on our standard poodle. And use a serresto collar.
If you wash it into your clothes do you need to be careful sitting on furniture at home if you have cats (once it’s dried)?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT