ADVERTISEMENT

Thread on testing & treatment research for COVID-19

I don't believe the models that are currently being shown reflect reality. There are a) more beds and b) less patients than expected. Why? I don't know...you would think the press would update these and give us accurate information. Unfortunately, they seem to want to continue to publish "what could be" worst case scenarios. Go figure. You really have to dig for the actual numbers, then go back and overlay them onto the projected numbers.
Thanks for the validation. I agree regarding the press. Just seems like such an obvious flaw in a study that is being weighed on heavily to devise policy...

I don't believe the models that are currently being shown reflect reality. There are a) more beds and b) less patients than expected. Why? I don't know...you would think the press would update these and give us accurate information. Unfortunately, they seem to want to continue to publish "what could be" worst case scenarios. Go figure. You really have to dig for the actual numbers, then go back and overlay them onto the projected numbers.

there are basically no elective procedures being done right now at any hospitals. Non critical patients are being sent home. hence, low patients census at many hospitals (NY/NJ not withstanding)

Another possible game changer. Ivermectin is an anti-parasitic that has been used around the world since the early 1980s. Already FDA approved. Works on worms, lice etc. Super cheap. The horse version costs $6 per treatment on Ebay and it's a one-treatment drug for worms.

Anyway, Australian researchers remembered it had been shown to have antiviral properties from previous research, so they tested it on C19 in the lab and found virus fell to almost undetectable levels in 48 hours.

So not a great leap to try it on people. Hopefully won't take months to get initial results.

https://www.eturbonews.com/569618/c...-single-dose-of-an-already-fda-approved-drug/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220302011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnwbaZ7j7F

Show I guess the hospitals aren't overloaded at all
Is that real? It certainly looks more real than the footage on the "news" companies that are doing much of this for ratings and political gain. Certainly easier to believe the person on the street that walks up to the hospital, in my opinion.

Did CBS get busted showing an Italian ICU from a week ago and pawning it off as NYC a few days ago? The same exact footage!!!! Good find by the masses.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Aren't we ensuring a second wave in the fall by not having kids in school - while keeping them away from their grandparents (and locking down nursing homes)? How are we going to develop any herd immunity?

I really like this gal named Naomi Brockwell. Here is her video on HCQ:

Aren't we ensuring a second wave in the fall by not having kids in school - while keeping them away from their grandparents (and locking down nursing homes)? How are we going to develop any herd immunity?

I wish life would be so black and white.

Herd immunity is strategy you go after once you have viable treatments and a vaccine. If you're asking that question rhetorically, then you should ask the government if the current approach is the wrong one and criticize it for that.

LINK? Everything I read said they banned doctors from writing scripts to prevent unnecessary use and stockpiling. They did not ban hospitals from using it to treat patients.

Linked is the letter from Michigan.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/...cribing_and_Dispensing_3-24-2020_684869_7.pdf

I don’t read that as a “ban” necessarily but can see how others might see it as that. To me it seems more like they were trying to prevent doctors from prescribing it prophylactically without a legit infection/disease to treat given the first paragraph. Regardless of whether it is poor wording or that they have changed their position, the reality is that it is not currently “banned” in Michigan. So the criticism that lives are being lost because we are withholding treatment until a clinical trial is completed is not currently a valid criticism where it is being used.

Praying isn't going to accomplish anything. Support science and the process (which includes not touting unproven remedies). To be forward looking, make sure you elect officials who fully fund scientific agencies and actually listen to their scientific advisers. Encourage your children to go into STEM.

Hehe you don't know me. I have three kids -- two engineers and a family physician. I won't tell you my belief system but I do think it's okay for atheists to pray for something good to happen -- not that it will change anything, it's just an expression of how we feel.

I'm sick to death of all these people (and I'm not saying you, I don't know you) who, as soon as Trump said something about a drug, suddenly became purists about the sanctity of randomized double-blinded, peer-reviewed, multi-site-around-the-world repeated trials.

Yes that's the gold standard. But 99% of what is medical textbooks is not backed by that gold standard.That gold standard doesn't take months, it doesn't take years, it takes DECADES. So it is of little relevance for treatment in this pandemic. It might be helpful for the next pandemic 20 or 40 years away.

If you actually read the ongoing discussions between scientists and doctors in forums & on Twitter (which is pretty incredible -- you can watch the scientific process going on in real time) you can see that the understanding of the disease and treatment strategies is growing, not by the day, but by the HOUR.

Very little of this new knowledge has anything to do with double blind studies. It's all based on sharing clinical experience (or, as Fauci calls it, anecdotes). For example the sea change in just the last 4-5 days on ICU treatment -- to realize this disease cannot be treated like every other viral pneumonia that's ever come down the pike.

Trying to pump people's lungs with ventilators just liquifies the damaged lung tissue and kills these patients -- who knew? Huge changes in protocols are being tried in the space of 12 hours -- without any randomized studies. ICU doctors are trying a whole range of medicines in non-standard (meaning untested) ways, trying to find combinations that work better.

When you have a disease that is killing 2,000 Americans a day, soon to be 5,000 and after that 10,000, the rules change. You accept more risk and uncertainty and you try to save people.

And in my opinion, there should be more discussion about whether randomized double-blind studies are even APPROPRIATE with a disease that is so deadly in such a short period of time. If you're testing pimple cream, the control group isn't going to die. If you're testing arthritis, and the drug works, you can give it to the control group and still help them.

In this case these trials are asking people who are struggling for breath to agree to a 50% chance that they get placebo (i.e. NO TREATMENT) for a disease that could kill them in about 12 hours. It is being reported that they're having trouble finding volunteers. Ya think???

Last edited:
This in the Sermo notes:

An anonymous Pediatrician on Sermo commented, “I took Chloroquine for a year in southeast Asia to prevent malaria. So did another 3,000,000+ soldiers. I suffered no ill effects and this letter is proof of no death. The dead do not have time for the FDA's randomized clinical trials. Just ask them.”

I agree with many things you post Boyer, but do you really believe that this is the outcome we are headed for?

When you have a disease that is killing 2,000 Americans a day, soon to be 5,000 and after that 10,000, the rules change.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I hope we don't hit 10k/day but could see 5k
Yes, and we could see 15k a day, or 20k a day, or 1k per day, or 8k per day, etc etc.

FWIW, today's release by the IHME model (which is the one being used by the WH Task Force) is predicting a peak of 2,212 per day as of April 12. Is that accurate? Nobody knows.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Clarkston,

looking at my anecdotal daily vision, coupled with the latest IHME update today I don’t see it. Add in the Massachusetts projected deaths going from ~8250 yesterday to 5625 today and only ~320 actual to date and 10 days to peak, there seems to be some serious flaws in the projections. When I look at the UK in the same model the forecast is ~66,000 total deaths they are 9 days from the peak at currently sit just north of 7,050.

I hope we don't hit 10k/day but could see 5k

Funny how nothing is working but our numbers are way better than most any other country. So our death rates will be around 60,000 but it has nothing to do with these meds. Got it.

This is a little odd, as pretty much everyone here has heard that hydroxychloroquine is most effective when combined with zinc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT