ADVERTISEMENT

Thousand Oaks shooting: At least 12 killed after gunman opens fire in California bar

My prayers are extended to all victims and to the hero Sheriffs DeputySgt who was gunned down by the perp. He was first on the scene ( along with two nearby CHP officers) The Sergeant did not hesitate and took the lead and was first to enter the club where he was hit by several rounds. He leaves a wife and son and he was planning to retire next year. RIP.....a true hero. IMO.... No doubt that by his sacrifice.....many additional lives were saved.

if you've got better ideas, now's the time.
No, now is not the time.

Having these discussions immediately after an event like this only leads to emotionally charged and fueled outbursts and posts.

Can we just agree, for now, to focus on those that have lost their lives, their families and others who were not physically hurt, but will also have to suffer for a long time due to this event?

No, now is not the time.

Having these discussions immediately after an event like this only leads to emotionally charged and fueled outbursts and posts.

Can we just agree, for now, to focus on those that have lost their lives, their families and others who were not physically hurt, but will also have to suffer for a long time due to this event?
so....we are back to thoughts and prayers?

762w.gif

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
This LA Times article is horrifying. At some point, the people who make laws in this country will be kids who grew up having active shooter drills.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-thousand-oaks-20181107-story.html

Adam Housley, who until six weeks ago was a national correspondent for Fox News, arrived at the hospital around 3:30 a.m. searching for his niece. A guard didn’t let him through, saying the facility was on lockdown.

He said his niece, 18-year-old Pepperdine freshman Alaina Housley, had been at the bar with several friends. Her Apple Watch and iPhone still showed her location as being on the dance floor, he said.

“My gut is saying she’s inside the bar, dead,” he said. “I’m hoping I’m wrong.”

Reactions: N&B4PSU
current reporting...

The gunman who massacred 12 people at a country music bar in southern California on Wednesday night has been identified as an ex-Marine.

Ian Long, 29, opened fire on the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks at 11.20pm. Long had been cleared by mental health experts after an incident in his home in April, sheriffs revealed on Thursday morning.

He killed 11 people inside the bar and one of the first cops on the scene before taking his own life.

Survivors from the shooting said he looked 'like he knew what he was doing' as he repeatedly fired his legally purchased Glock .45 handgun.

As dozens ran for their lives, hid beneath pool tables and used bar stools to shatter the windows to escape, Long continued firing and also threw smoke grenades to confuse the crowds.

When the first police officers arrived at the scene three minutes later, Long shot one of them multiple times before shooting himself.
so the guy was a 29 year old ex-marine that was cleared April after "an incident". And he shot up a club that has a standing night for college kids who commit to not drink and is highly attended by Perperdine and CA Lutheran U.

When the first police officers arrived at the scene three minutes later, Long shot one of them multiple times before shooting himself.

So an officer that is trained extensively in firearms and how to deal with crisis situations, and was aware of the shooting, wasn't able to subdue the suspect and was shot multiple times. It's things like this that make the idea of armed civilians somehow stopping shooters in scenarios like this not make sense imo.

So an officer that is trained extensively in firearms and how to deal with crisis situations, and was aware of the shooting, wasn't able to subdue the suspect and was shot multiple times. It's things like this that make the idea of armed civilians somehow stopping shooters in scenarios like this not make sense imo.

I don't follow your logic. The shooter shot himself right after that confrontation. And, the shooter appears to have been a trained Marine. Can you say that the officer didn't save lives because he sacrificed himself? I don't think you can make that claim.

Contrast that to the FL high school where the cops hid behind cars while students were being shot inside the school. While this cop is dead, he's a hero and probably did save lives.

I do agree that every person being armed would probably lead to more, and not less, shootings. I don't own a gun. I've seen far too many incidents where somebody shoots someone by accident, or in a fit of emotion that may have gone away if a gun wasn't within a five second reach.

Reactions: ftlpsu

I don't agree. Many civilians are just as proficient with firearms as the police. The success or failure to take down a bad guy in a gunfight is as much dependent on circumstance and luck as skill, anyway. It's a great thing if someone is there to fight for the potential victims and nothing is going to be 100% either way.

Reactions: November Dixon
Not sure what the answer is to all the senseless killings. Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

update: shooter was treated for PTSD and used an illegal extended magazine. So far, reporting is that he used a single Glock handgun.

I don't agree. Many civilians are just as proficient with firearms as the police. The success or failure to take down a bad guy in a gunfight is as much dependent on circumstance and luck as skill, anyway. It's a great thing if someone is there to fight for the potential victims and nothing is going to be 100% either way.

my brother has an interesting theory on this. if you have a gun, all you have to do is shoot it into the air in one of these situations. This will get the perp to hesitate, take cover and, perhaps, take his own life (like in this case). You don't have to kill the guy, just slow him down.

You picked a Stupid Comparison here. I am Willing to bet that Marine had extensively more training than that Sheriff had. Without a doubt

Reactions: lionroar88
I don't follow your logic. The shooter shot himself right after that confrontation. And, the shooter appears to have been a trained Marine. Can you say that the officer didn't save lives because he sacrificed himself? I don't think you can make that claim.

Contrast that to the FL high school where the cops hid behind cars while students were being shot inside the school. While this cop is dead, he's a hero and probably did save lives.

I do agree that every person being armed would probably lead to more, and not less, shootings. I don't own a gun. I've seen far too many incidents where somebody shoots someone by accident, or in a fit of emotion that may have gone away if a gun wasn't within a five second reach.

I don't want to put words in that posters mouth but my take away from his post was more about the people who start ranting about arming themselves.

There was a study done, not to long ago, about how "accuracy" when shooting at a target plummets when someone is shooting back at you.
So yea they may be as "proficient" on the target range but its a completely different story when someone starts firing back at you.
My biggest question, whenever someone brings up the, "This wouldn't happen if everyone would carry" argument is. When the police or arrive how do they know who the bad guy is or the good guys are if everyone is firing at one another?

There was a study done, not to long ago, about how "accuracy" when shooting at a target plummets when someone is shooting back at you.
So yea they may be as "proficient" on the target range but its a completely different story when someone starts firing back at you.
My biggest question, whenever someone brings up the, "This wouldn't happen if everyone would carry" argument is. When the police or arrive how do they know who the bad guy is or the good guys are if everyone is firing at one another?
Not to mention there are studies that show an armed amatuer is much more likely to shoot an innocent person than a threat.

Last edited:
I had active an active shooter training class at work and it was very helpful. If not able to escape, we were taught to throw anything and everything at the shooter until someone could subdue him/her.

Reactions: BBrown
You picked a Stupid Comparison here. I am Willing to bet that Marine had extensively more training than that Sheriff had. Without a doubt
Yes especially if he was Infantry..most Military who have served in Combat Arms are more trained than majority of LEO...This POS (Piece of $@!!) did relatively more damage in a short amount of time with a handgun (chosen caliber purposely) than a kid with an AR in aforementioned event. Further that police officer who went in there probably most likely saved lives regardless of his results God rest his soul.

I actually knew several officers (now retired) who absolutely despised going to the range and practicing. A month before qualifying the three of us would get together and go to the range. I would help them knock some of the rust off. This is not to say that all officers feel this way, but these two were very average shots.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I had active an active shooter training class at work and it was very helpful. If not able to escape, we were taught to throw anything and everything at the shooter until someone could subdue him/her.
Yes that is better than not doing anything at all. Broward County schools have been doing extensive training on how to prepare in an active shooter situation. Barricade doors, turn off lights, hide in closet etc...they have even had active shooter drills were LEO come in and mock incidents-all this in summer without the kids of course.

I actually knew several officers (now retired) who absolutely despised going to the range and practicing. A month before qualifying the three of us would get together and go to the range. I would help them knock some of the rust off. This is not to say that all officers feel this way, but these two were very average shots.
Not just about being a good shot...there are so many other factors that come into play....starts with the psyche first, situational awareness, then the physical aspect comes into play-your breathing, heart rate, etc..

Reactions: RU31trap

That is what investigators do.

We had one as well and it was pretty helpful.

They can't. Note this shooter also had smoke bombs - likely a lot more dead if even a few folks at this bar had a handgun. But, having a firearm, and using one, in a chaotic situation are two completely different things. This isn't 'going to the range'...

giphy.gif

Reactions: ftlpsu
We had one as well and it was pretty helpful.
I would also like to point out that these shootings are not new, but rather happening at a much more alarming rate than in the past.

I was at a building very close to the Hub lawn shooting in 1996 and if I hadn't gone to class early to study, may have been a victim myself. If she hadn't stopped to reload, and a hero hadn't confronted her, it may have been much worse.

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_04f66e62-b08c-57e9-853e-a33e7c002edc.html

I would also like to point out that these shootings are not new, but rather happening at a much more alarming rate than in the past.

I was at a building very close to the Hub lawn shooting in 1996 and if I hadn't gone to class early to study, may have been a victim myself. If she hadn't stopped to reload, and a hero hadn't confronted her, it may have been much worse.

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_04f66e62-b08c-57e9-853e-a33e7c002edc.html

I was at Sparks when it happened.

You'd probably lose that bet. From the Sargents Linkedin profile.

I am a twenty-eight year veteran of the Ventura County Sheriff's Office. I am an FBI certified firearms instructor and a POST (Peace Officer's Standards and Training) instructor. I have thousands of hours of specialized training. I work or have worked, the following assignments: Custody; patrol (Deputy, Senior Deputy, Sergeant); SWAT; all aspects of firearms, less lethal, and chemical agents instruction; investigations; narcotics; and wellness advisor. I own and operate Gun Control: Firearms Training and CCW Instruction. I have a Master's degree from the University of Oklahoma and plan to pursue my doctorate degree in the near future.

Not to mention there are studies that show an armed amatuer is much more likely to shoot an innocent person than a threat.

That's a situation that begs to be ugly. One shooter comes in and fires a shot. Now an armed citizen pulls his gun to shoot the original shooter. Next another armed guy fires at citizen one. Etc. Then the cops show up and have no clue what the heck happened. It's a really bad idea to have untrained people carrying in public.

ADVERTISEMENT