ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Blue - White game?!

Read any article from back then - the letter was sent directly to Sutherland.
EGTwN-FXoAAssGS
Ok

We went from 4-5 to 7-6. But keep in mind.......the 2020 COVID year was conference play only. We went 4-5 in the Big Ten in 2021, so whether we "got worse" or improved or stayed the same is fairly subjective considering we had essentially the same record. (we probably would have gone at least 2-1 against OOC teams in 2020).

You're not going to find many people who would argue that our big picture trajectory is pointing upward as a program.
Or one could look at it as we won 9 straight games and we’re in the process of winning our 10th when our QB got hurt. It’s possible to find positives and negatives in everything…unfortunately many on here will only ever see the negative. Which is why it makes no difference who our coach is, they will be heavily criticized because, after all, the players have nothing to do with us losing, it’s all the coach’s fault.

If they canceled the game you would be the first one on this board complaining they took away a free event for the fans. Penn State was not alone in having numbers issue for the spring game. With the portal and increase of transfer many schools had to go with modified games.
If the game becomes less attractive to fans that’s not a good thing .

Or one could look at it as we won 9 straight games and we’re in the process of winning our 10th when our QB got hurt. It’s possible to find positives and negatives in everything…unfortunately many on here will only ever see the negative. Which is why it makes no difference who our coach is, they will be heavily criticized because, after all, the players have nothing to do with us losing, it’s all the coach’s fault.
The final season records are the metric, those were two seperate seasons . Going 0-6, then winning 15 straight then going 0-5 produces 7-6 and 8-5.
No one cares about a meaningless win streak over two years unless it produces at least one really good season.

The final season records are the metric, those were two seperate seasons . Going 0-6, then winning 15 straight then going 0-5 produces 7-6 and 8-5.
No one cares about a meaningless win streak over two years unless it produces at least one really good season.
Thanks for proving my point.

M
Thanks for proving my point.
Ot didn’t prove anything , we can’t necessarily change players . We can look at the coaches and see if they can do better.
The last two years were awful . The osu record is 0 - 2017-2021, blowing a few big leads. It’s a meh performance imo.

M

Ot didn’t prove anything , we can’t necessarily change players . We can look at the coaches and see if they can do better.
The last two years were awful . The osu record is 0 - 2017-2021, blowing a few big leads. It’s a meh performance imo.
So let’s change coaches every two to three years, that will be great. And you can say Franklin has been here 8 years, but the anti-Franklin stuff started in about year two and never really quit.

If the game becomes less attractive to fans that’s not a good thing .
What are they to do when you don’t have enough players? They are trying to do the best they can with what they have. It not like they can hire a few stand in players to make the fans happy.

Reactions: Gitzit
What are they to do when you don’t have enough players? They are trying to do the best they can with what they have. It not like they can hire a few stand in players to make the fans happy.
Well, don’t they have enough? It’s the coaching staff’s job to have enough. They have 85 schollies plus walkons. They need to recruit the proper mix so that all positions are properly and adequately filled. Not to overload on DBs or other positions. Recruiting a ton of the glamor boys doesn’t mean squat without the real men in the trenches.

Well, don’t they have enough? It’s the coaching staff’s job to have enough. They have 85 schollies plus walkons. They need to recruit the proper mix so that all positions are properly and adequately filled. Not to overload on DBs or other positions. Recruiting a ton of the glamor boys doesn’t mean squat without the real men in the trenches.
This is so stupid. There were several nicked up guys and guys recovering from prior surgeries and injuries and hit by grads and transfers.

This is so stupid. There were several nicked up guys and guys recovering from prior surgeries and injuries and hit by grads and transfers.
Reality seems to be lost on many here. A good coach should be able to control injuries, players leaving early, and everything else and have a full stable of 5 star players ready to play at all times. It works on their PlayStation game.

Reactions: cvilleelkscoach
Reality seems to be lost on many here. A good coach should be able to control injuries, players leaving early, and everything else and have a full stable of 5 star players ready to play at all times. It works on their PlayStation game.
They should have enough to practice. Tell me how many other Power Five schools didn’t have enough o linemen to have practices this spring?

Our 2021 team was flawed from the start. A lot went wrong, including Clifford’s injury, but we were just bad last year in many areas. We lost at the LOS. We couldn’t run the ball, period. We couldn’t stop the run very well either. Something nobody talks about is our lack of pressure on the QB. Take a look at the season stats link below.
We were 81 in team sacks per game. 121 out 130 for opponents plays per game.

Still, with a healthy Clifford we beat Iowa and Illinois, even though IL completely outcoached us. We had a chance against MI and MSU as well, though we just seemed ill-prepared (maybe tired) at MSU.

Have to admit also, we were a play or two away from losing to both Wisconsin and Auburn (who turned out to be rather disappointing).

Not many bright spots outside of Dotson.

2021 season stats

Reactions: MacNit07
I mean if you can even call it a game, but honestly WTF was that. I'm very annoyed by the new format! I know it's to avoid injuries, etc. but wtf was that!

Ahh yes, the yearly "let's bitch about the scrimmage that is free to go to and countless other teams around the country do the same exact thing, but I don't like it and you are going to hear about it" thread.

So let’s change coaches every two to three years, that will be great. And you can say Franklin has been here 8 years, but the anti-Franklin stuff started in about year two and never really quit.
In my case I didn’t think it was time for a change until last season. I gave him eight years. He’s reached his ceiling imo.
So now he got another raise, looks like we have Ferentz. Some sort of good years, challenge for the big ten title now and then , not make the playoffs. It is what it is.

Ahh yes, the yearly "let's bitch about the scrimmage that is free to go to and countless other teams around the country do the same exact thing, but I don't like it and you are going to hear about it" thread.
People have a right to complain about how they changed something they used to enjoy? Why complain about the complaining?

People have a right to complain about how they changed something they used to enjoy? Why complain about the complaining?

Because for many here it really seems like they don't enjoy it?
Or at least have not for 20 years or something, long enough that they should have come to the realization long ago that maybe major college sports just aren't for them anymore?

Because for many here it really seems like they don't enjoy it?
Or at least have not for 20 years or something, long enough that they should have come to the realization long ago that maybe major college sports just aren't for them anymore?
You’re generalizing , myself I grew tired with college football the last two years. Something I watched for 45 years prior. I don’t like various changes and I’m less interested.
You’re going to see more and more people like me going forward. But I myself won’t br complaining for long, College football will go the way of pro sports for me. I just won’t bother ,

Reality is that a good coach anticipates and plans accordingly. A good coach has a backup ready because he knows injuries are a part of the game. A good coach does not own the worst start of a program's 100+ year history. Obviously.

Reality is that a good coach anticipates and plans accordingly. A good coach has a backup ready because he knows injuries are a part of the game. A good coach does not own the worst start of a program's 100+ year history. Obviously.
He isn't a good coach, and now he will be held accountable for it. Another 6-6 and he is either gone, or put on notice.

In my case I didn’t think it was time for a change until last season. I gave him eight years. He’s reached his ceiling imo.
So now he got another raise, looks like we have Ferentz. Some sort of good years, challenge for the big ten title now and then , not make the playoffs. It is what it is.
Kind of like what we had for years prior to Franklin.

No, Fire the coach because the team us 11-11 in their last 22 games and he lost at home to the worst team in the league. Fixed it for you.
Oh the horror! We deserve better. And Illinois wasn’t even close to being the worst team in the league…better double check the results.

Oh the horror! We deserve better. And Illinois wasn’t even close to being the worst team in the league…better double check the results.
I grew up challenging for MNCs. .500 doesn’t interest me. They want fan/brand loyalty? Well it seems like that only goes one way.
It’s pro sports now, I don’t have to like it. I don’t have to watch it, and you won’t have to see me complain much more.
I liked the old product better.

Reactions: Delcolion915
Right now, I'd love to have PSU teams play like Ferentz-coached Iowa teams always seem to do. They are not flashy, but their lines almost always are tough and nasty, and they usually have great special teams. They basically play like PSU did in the Paterno glory years.

PSU teams are just smoke and mirrors; there's just a lot of talk but very little substance.

Last edited:
I grew up challenging for MNCs. .500 doesn’t interest me. They want fan/brand loyalty? Well it seems like that only goes one way.
It’s pro sports now, I don’t have to like it. I don’t have to watch it, and you won’t have to see me complain much more.
I liked the old product better.
I grew up with it too and we didn’t challenge for MNC’s all that often especially once we joined the Big 10. We had quite a few years that are now considered “unacceptable”.

My Cracker Jack analysis is that no matter what they did in the BW game, guys like you would find fault with it. If they played an all out game and the defense was awesome, you’d say the offense looked like shit. If the offense lit it up, you’d say the defense was soft. The naysayers say out of one side of their mouth that the game was garbage and nothing could be taken from it then out of the other they say they looked smallish and relatively soft. You saw what you wanted to see and you would have no matter what. If you’re finding fault with an inner squad scrimmage, you had your mind made up before it even started. And they went from a losing record to a winning record….that’s not “getting worse” no matter how you try to slice it. Worst. Fanbase. Ever.
Worse fan base ever? That shows just how out of touch you are…

Draws a minimum of 80,000 for even the worst of opponents…even when the home squad is mired in mediocrity. Fan base travels as well as any in CFB….even when the good guys are struggling.

Home football games are about as positive a sports spectator event that there is…I believe SI named it as such.

So worst fanbase? Quite the opposite!

As for my little corner of the fandom, I am a decades long season ticket holder and also travel to away games and bowl games with high frequency. Have never booed the good guys.

But this is a message board that is designed to exchange opinions on the state of the program, etc. This is not the pep squad.

The bottom line is that the Team has been severely underachieving and is regressing. And the most disturbing part of that trend is that the team is getting bullied in the trenches - even by teams with much less talent. Never a good recipe for success in football at any level. And no amount of positive posts on a message board will change that underlying fact.

This program is in dire need of a fresh start - with new ideas and new approaches.

Worse fan base ever? That shows just how out of touch you are…

Draws a minimum of 80,000 for even the worst of opponents…even when the home squad is mired in mediocrity. Fan base travels as well as any in CFB….even when the good guys are struggling.

Home football games are about as positive a sports spectator event that there is…I believe SI named it as such.

So worst fanbase? Quite the opposite!

As for my little corner of the fandom, I am a decades long season ticket holder and also travel to away games and bowl games with high frequency. Have never booed the good guys.

But this is a message board that is designed to exchange opinions on the state of the program, etc. This is not the pep squad.

The bottom line is that the Team has been severely underachieving and is regressing. And the most disturbing part of that trend is that the team is getting bullied in the trenches - even by teams with much less talent. Never a good recipe for success in football at any level. And no amount of positive posts on a message board will change that underlying fact.

This program is in dire need of a fresh start - with new ideas and new approaches.
In your opinion…and a message board doesn’t have to be 100% negative, you get that right?

They say this guy Little Chuck drinks a lot of OJ. They say this guy chases down more OJ with pancakes than 1994 LAPd and 1969 Buckeyes put together.

ADVERTISEMENT