ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Blue - White game?!

Chickadee34

Gold Member
May 2, 2018
Mahanoy, PA
I mean if you can even call it a game, but honestly WTF was that. I'm very annoyed by the new format! I know it's to avoid injuries, etc. but wtf was that!

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
I mean if you can even call it a game, but honestly WTF was that. I'm very annoyed by the new format! I know it's to avoid injuries, etc. but wtf was that!

There’s a reason that Franklin’s teams come out of the gate slow in the fall. Regardless, I did learn a few things about the team.

It's almost like Franklin went out of his way to state multiple times in the weeks leading up the game that the lack of numbers / depth on the offensive line was going to impact how "the game" was played and they may have to run a different format.

Surely someone that pays for access to The Lions Den would know that.

But no, you're right, he should have played a traditional Blue & White game for the fans while risking the health of an already thin o-line.

Who cares about the format. Is our O-Line going to be any better? Also concerned that our D will only be as good as the weakest links, weak pass rush and below average LBs after Jacobs.

I did learn that at this stage Clifford is a lot better than Allar and that is not a good thing.

This board will be very unhappy after a possible 1-2 start. I really hope I am wrong.

It's almost like Franklin went out of his way to state multiple times in the weeks leading up the game that the lack of numbers / depth on the offensive line was going to impact how "the game" was played and they may have to run a different format.

Surely someone that pays for access to The Lions Den would know that.

But no, you're right, he should have played a traditional Blue & White game for the fans while risking the health of an already thin o-line.
If a real game would have risked the health of the O-line then they should have cancelled the damn game rather than present a useless farce.

I did learn that at this stage Clifford is a lot better than Allar and that is not a good thing.
I thought Clifford looked fine. He will be fine this year. He's not a world beater by himself, but with some run support and some good defense, PSU will be better than last year by a 3 wins (if team stays relatively healthy).

I re-watched the Auburn game recently. He made some really nice reads and throws. He didn't play a perfect game but when he is healthy he is a very, very good QB.

If a real game would have risked the health of the O-line then they should have cancelled the damn game rather than present a useless farce.
The day was not for you. It was for the team and staff to judge progress in front of a crowd. CJF saw a locked in team that made few mental mistakes and followed the plan he had for the day. There were some good things to see and items that will need correction. Overall, good progress from what I saw this spring.

For me it was a chance to get out to the stadium in the spring and it will hold me over to action starts for real.

The highlight was spending the weekend at the Hilton Garden inn on college ave. We usually stay in Lamar and were really were pleased to stay downtown. Very nice place to stay when coming in for a game .

There’s a reason that Franklin’s teams come out of the gate slow in the fall. Regardless, I did learn a few things about the team.
Disagree with this comment.....2 of the last three years (I believe 9-0 in 2019 and WI and Auburn games last year) they've been strong at the beginning of the year. If anything, Franklin's teams of late fall off late in the season (or about the time they play OSU).

Disagree with this comment.....2 of the last three years (I believe 9-0 in 2019 and WI and Auburn games last year) they've been strong at the beginning of the year. If anything, Franklin's teams of late fall off late in the season (or about the time they play OSU).

last year, I would agree with you. I think it helps that we are now scheduling B1G teams in week 1

Who are you and who cares ...
Seriously, if you don't lack no the depth of the OL, and the reason for the format, you are not much of a fan.

Reactions: cvilleelkscoach
There are 85 scholarship players. A dozen or more walkons. How is it possible to not have enough Olinemen to have a practice? Are ten of them injured?
5 aren't on campus yet.
There are 85 scholarship players. A dozen or more walkons. How is it possible to not have enough Olinemen to have a practice? Are ten of them injured?

Look at the roster and incoming. I am sure you can figure it out.

This, I turned it off in a few minutes, it was awful. Just cancel the thing already.
I'm guessing the 62000 people who were there had a pretty good time. And I'm sure players enjoyed being in the Beav in front of fans.

Team got their work in.
Fans enjoyed it.

So I guess it doesn't really matter if you thought they should cancel it.

I thought Clifford looked fine. He will be fine this year. He's not a world beater by himself, but with some run support and some good defense, PSU will be better than last year by a 3 wins (if team stays relatively healthy).

I re-watched the Auburn game recently. He made some really nice reads and throws. He didn't play a perfect game but when he is healthy he is a very, very good QB.
Actually, the Blue-White "event" didn't tell us anything about how Clifford will do. To wit, it was a zero pressure situation where by rule he wasn't going to be hit. He has a history of getting over amped/erratic when the lights come on, and wilting when he's pressured/knocked around. He faced none of that on Sat.

More importantly, it was to show how "woke" PSU is by putting an all female officiating crew on the field.

80317497.jpg

Reactions: NittanyIllinois

My comment was more about how shaky Allar looked. Just thought we would have seen a little more of a finished product but way too early to glean anything of real value.

My comment was more about how shaky Allar looked. Just thought we would have seen a little more of a finished product but way too early to glean anything of real value.
Allar looked #4 of the four QBs…disappointing.

Reactions: Gitzit

What about his two bowl appearances? His performance against Arkansas was one of the worst QB performances ever Minny, PITT, OSU, Iowa in 2019? First five games of 2020?

“Very, very good QB” ? Not even close. More like very inconsistent QB. It’s been 4 long years of Clifford, he is what he is. Inconsistent. First signs of weakness in 2022, pull the plug and let’s see what the young QBs look like. We’re not winning a championship next season, might as well start building for the future.

What about his two bowl appearances? His performance against Arkansas was one of the worst QB performances ever Minny, PITT, OSU, Iowa in 2019? First five games of 2020?

“Very, very good QB” ? Not even close. More like very inconsistent QB. It’s been 4 long years of Clifford, he is what he is. Inconsistent. First signs of weakness in 2022, pull the plug and let’s see what the young QBs look like. We’re not winning a championship next season, might as well start building for the future.

Fun fact. Clifford has 18 games as a starter with a passer rating less than 130. Ohio State QBs during that same span have dipped below 130 4 times.

Not that anybody should expect him to perform at a Justin Fields/CJ Stroud level, but that's pretty bad.

Maybe they will allow ladies to play football against men too?!
Other than kickers, if there is a school that would do this, I expect that it would be Dear Old State. Come to think of it, they may not be that much worse than several of the male players who currently inhabit PSU's roster.

• Haha
Reactions: bourbon n blues
Other than kickers, if there is a school that would do this, I expect that it would be Dear Old State. Come to think of it, they may not be that much worse than several of the male players who currently inhabit PSU's roster.
I can't disagree.

My one complaint about Clifford with a simple fix is the frustration that I have had with Clifford not throwing to RBs in the flat.....instead running or forcing the ball to WR or TE over the middle.

So many times our RB would release to the flat with no one or only one person drifting close to the flat area......at the BW Game Clifford threw 3 to 4 times in the flat to an RB....usually to Singleton, which is a great matchup for PSU with Singleton against an LB 1 on 1......So I did see something that at least I was looking for from QB 1

With hundreds of athletes dropping dead and thousands of young men developing myocarditis from the so called vaccines, it's a distraction. I find it sad and and insulting.
Yea that's not happening:

Reuters looked into the list of 108 names provided by Real Time News (bit.ly/32pqrt7 , page 6). It appears to be compiled using news reports of the deaths of 108 people, aged 12 – 64, worldwide.

In 53 cases, a cause of death was reported. These include heart attacks brought on by previously known or unknown heart conditions, while others included prior COVID-19 infections, a cerebral aneurysm, a traumatic brain injury, a motorbike accident, one suicide, two suspected suicides, heat stroke, and a rare congenital condition – anomalous origin of coronary artery. Moreover, one case was reported in August 2019, prior to the pandemic, and another had a family confirm their relative was not vaccinated. Some of the listed deaths also occurred prior to vaccine rollouts for respective age groups in certain countries.

Fun fact. Clifford has 18 games as a starter with a passer rating less than 130. Ohio State QBs during that same span have dipped below 130 4 times.

Not that anybody should expect him to perform at a Justin Fields/CJ Stroud level, but that's pretty bad.
I think if you switch Clifford to OSU and Stroud to Penn State Clifford would be the super star and Stroud would be the guy people are complaining about.

Every OSU WR, except for Fleming (hahahaha), runs free all game long. I think Hackenberg would have won the Heisman in that system and with those athletes.

Yea that's not happening:

Reuters looked into the list of 108 names provided by Real Time News (bit.ly/32pqrt7 , page 6). It appears to be compiled using news reports of the deaths of 108 people, aged 12 – 64, worldwide.

In 53 cases, a cause of death was reported. These include heart attacks brought on by previously known or unknown heart conditions, while others included prior COVID-19 infections, a cerebral aneurysm, a traumatic brain injury, a motorbike accident, one suicide, two suspected suicides, heat stroke, and a rare congenital condition – anomalous origin of coronary artery. Moreover, one case was reported in August 2019, prior to the pandemic, and another had a family confirm their relative was not vaccinated. Some of the listed deaths also occurred prior to vaccine rollouts for respective age groups in certain countries.
Believe Reuters if you like. I choose not to.

I think if you switch Clifford to OSU and Stroud to Penn State Clifford would be the super star and Stroud would be the guy people are complaining about.

Every OSU WR, except for Fleming (hahahaha), runs free all game long. I think Hackenberg would have won the Heisman in that system and with those athletes.

Stroud was a 5* recruit, the Elite 11 winner, and the projected #1 pick in next year's NFL draft. His arm strength and accuracy far surpass Clifford at his best, so no, I don't think it's simply a matter of what teams they play for.

Compare the way Stroud fits deep balls into tiny pockets (his late go-ahead TD pass to Smith-Njigba in the Rose Bowl was NFL level) to Clifford missing open receivers deep (like in the Outback Bowl). It's not even close.

Reactions: MacNit07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT