ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on run game

Nittany18

Dec 28, 2013
Our run game and how well Auburn ran against our defense.

Im very happy with the win, but for once, I want to watch a game where my bp doesn’t go through the roof,

Reactions: Ranger Dan

Im very happy with the win, but for once, I want to watch a game where my bp doesn’t go through the roof,
Lovett needs waaaayyyy more carries. I believe he’s the guy.

Reactions: We Are . . .
1) Cain is not quite back to old form. He doesn't turn the ball over and he's been good in pass protection. He's a capable receiver and doesn't create negative plays, but he's not hitting the holes hard yet.

2) OL is better at pass blocking right now and it seems that was the primary focus between the end of last year and now.

3) I'm no expert at grading OL run blocking, but it seems that we are looking for options on the interior. I didn't notice Wilson making mistakes as much as Whigan did week 1 yet they still give Effner quite a few snaps tonight.

Did Holmes get in tonight? Somebody mentioned it in the game thread, but I didn't notice. If so, where did he play? It's good that our staff is still trying to improve the situation.

4) Lee looks like the type of RB who would move the sticks. He's caught the Miles Sanders fumbling though and it's very apparent that Yurcich and Seider are not going to give reps to someone who is a threat to fumble. His playing time is going to be week to week and graded every snap.

5) Lovett seems capable of filling a role in our back field. Does ball security promote him to #2 next week? Can he add the home run threat dimension?

6) the zone read style hand offs might be lacking in the rushing production department, but the PA off it has been tremendous. SC not keeping let's the defense focus on our RBs, but when our QB is burning them off it, that's an excellent trade off.

Overall analysis:
-improving our running game to above average would make our offense nearly indefensible outside of a select few teams.
-Ball protection and setting our play makers up with motion is reminiscent of what Bama was doing under Sark. We just don't have pass protectors who can downhill run block just yet.
-We've created multiple play makers at WR and TE. We have at minimum 6 players the staff trusts and that list is growing weekly.

Let's get out of the Villanova game healthy. Let's create more depth. And let's get ready to take it to Indiana and begin our quest for winning the East.

I remember Noah Cain was unstoppable at Iowa in ‘19. Wish he could harness that again.

Lee's physicality was needed in that game. Not a criticism of the decision, but I'd have given him the "we ****ing need you, hold on to the ****ing football" speech and sent him back out.
True need Lee bruising in this game and every coach has told their running back that Pep talk.

In this game and the situation of not being up by more than two scores you can’t trust him with the ball.

Reactions: TangSoo

Lee should be the feature back if he could hold onto the ball.

Reactions: bdgan
Villanova next week.

But seize the moment because then we play Indiana and #5 Iowa on the road.
I’d love to see this team crush Iowa on the road. They definitely have a tough schedule, Wisconsin, Auburn, Indiana (Yes IU), OSU, Maryland, Michigan and MSU.

Reactions: bdgan

The 4Q TD that basically won the game was a run -- beautifully designed and executed.

But you have to take what D gives you. Auburn played safeties very aggressively -- their plan was to stuff the run, force PSU to pass and get turnovers. Didn't work because the line pass blocked so well and Clifford was so sharp.

As for Auburn running the ball -- 1) Tank Bigsby is a very special back and 2) Outside of one drive, they weren't running the ball consistently or they would have done it all game. PSU did a good job against the run most of the day.

ADVERTISEMENT