ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts after sleeping on it one night........

Sooner Lion

Nov 10, 2003
  1. Michigan State punted the ball with 1:48 left in the game. This is the ultimate insult to your OC.
  2. Saban had the balls to pull his starting QB in last years title game. Stevens should have seen a few series in this game.
  3. Franklin needs to shelf his CEO approach and get involved in the decision making during the game.
  4. We have 2 rookie coordinators. Not sure either could find a job at a top program. Franklin needs to learn what got him here, will not get him there. We need to hire proven - elite coordinators.
  5. Taylor should have gone the distance on the INT return. A lineman tripped him up.
  6. Parsons has no idea what he is doing at LB.
  7. RPO is a gimmick offense. We need to get back to the pro set and get linemen that can be physical. Our OL is so soft. I hate the RPO. Yes, we'll break a play or two every game, but it is not an offense that we can count on come Oct and Nov in the Big Ten. RPO is gimmick plain and simple.
  8. Franklin does not have it on game day. Plain and simple. He mentioned in the post game yesterday situational football. F situational football. We don't pay the HC millions to coach situational football.
  9. I am pissed.

1. Michigan State punted the ball with 1:48 left in the game. This is the ultimate insult to your OC.
  2. Saban had the balls to pull his starting QB in last years title game. Stevens should have seen a few series in this game.
  3. Franklin needs to shelf his CEO approach and get involved in the decision making during the game.
  4. We have 2 rookie coordinators. Not sure either could find a job at a top program. Franklin needs to learn what got him here, will not get him there. We need to hire proven - elite coordinators.
  5. Taylor should have gone the distance on the INT return. A lineman tripped him up.
  7. RPO is a gimmick offense. We need to get back to the pro set and get linemen that can be physical. Our OL is so soft. I hate the RPO. Yes, we'll break a play or two every game, but it is not an offense that we can count on come Oct and Nov in the Big Ten. RPO is gimmick plain and simple.
  8. Franklin does not have it on game day. Plain and simple. He mentioned in the post game yesterday situational football. F situational football. We don't pay the HC millions to coach situational football.
  9. I am pissed.

Even I, coaching from the comfort of my sofa, knew their last drive would be about #18. No excuse not to try & remove him from the equation and let someone else try to beat us.

9. I am pissed.
Yes! For all especially #1. When they did that, I looked @ my wife and said they have zero respect for our offense by doing that. And we made them look like geniuses by promptly going 3 and out

After the punt I said to my wife here comes 3 and out with 1:30 left on the clock. I have no idea why she would want to watch the game with me.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Yes! For all especially #1. When they did that, I looked @ my wife and said they have zero respect for our offense by doing that. And we made them look like geniuses by promptly going 3 and out
I have made this point also on another thread. I could not believe MSU punted the ball versus going for it on 4th. MSU knew all our tendencies and they are few. Embarrassing!!!!!!!!!!! Also a testament to our bland play calling. Rhane needs to go, I will call the plays.

Even I, coaching from the comfort of my sofa, knew their last drive would be about #18. No excuse not to try & remove him from the equation and let someone else try to beat us.

He beat us last year and we let him again. I think we thought that they were playing for a field goal to tie and go to OT. So they took one shot for end zone and we weren't ready.
Hard to disagree with OP. Parsons and many on defense looked baffled and out of position.

And they didn't even have to use all their time outs. We don't know how to take time off the clock when ahead
What was really there yesterday for them to respect? Run after run straight ahead that went nowhere? Or many passes downfield or across the middle? They beat us by calling plays we should have been calling

He beat us last year and we let him again. I think we thought that they were playing for a field goal to tie and go to OT. So they took one shot for end zone and we weren't ready.
Hard to disagree with OP. Parsons and many on defense looked baffled and out of position.
We need linebackers who have smarts, who can think on their feet. We are no longer Linebacker U.

After the punt I said to my wife here comes 3 and out with 1:30 left on the clock. I have no idea why she would want to watch the game with me.

Are you two getting along lately? Maybe she wanted to see you suffer. 8^)

Parsons is not a DE at this level. Many want to believe that he is because of his high school success at the position but he isn't big enough to be effective at this level of competition. The only 2 DEs that we have that can bring it are both 260 lbs. Parsons is 240 which is about the same size as Toney and look how effective he has been against BIG teams. Parsons will continue to improve at LB. I'll never understand why some think they know more than the coaching staff.

Reactions: aferrelli
Parsons is not a DE at this level. Many want to believe that he is because of his high school success at the position but he isn't big enough to be effective at this level of competition. The only 2 DEs that we have that can bring it are both 260 lbs. Parsons is 240 which is about the same size as Toney and look how effective he has been against BIG teams. Parsons will continue to improve at LB. I'll never understand why some think they know more than the coaching staff.

Parsons is a LB and looked liked a LB yesterday. Pry is now sending him more often. They finally used the nickel package I thought they were building to with the 3 DE nickel or dime package with YGM playing NT with Miller and Toney at DE with Parsons blitzing from close to line of scrimmage. Micah made a lot of plays yesterday especially on those option plays. He had the QB causing the pitch and then one of his teammates took care of the RB for a minimal gain. He is only going to get better as he gets more comfortable at LB then he is going to be something. Jack Ham knows more about LBs then every posters on this board combined. He points out his mistakes and then praises him and states that he is going to be something in the future.

01f7cbf0-5112-49ce-854b-8b4539831aca.png

1. RPO is a gimmick offense. We need to get back to the pro set and get linemen that can be physical. Our OL is so soft. I hate the RPO. Yes, we'll break a play or two every game, but it is not an offense that we can count on come Oct and Nov in the Big Ten. RPO is gimmick plain and
Sorry, man, but this is the dumbest thing I've read all day. That is like someone 100 years ago saying the forward pass is dumb. Or the wishbone is a gimmick offense. The RPO is a very smart offense that when executed properly makes it almost impossible for the defense to defend.

Sorry, man, but this is the dumbest thing I've read all day. That is like someone 100 years ago saying the forward pass is dumb. Or the wishbone is a gimmick offense. The RPO is a very smart offense that when executed properly makes it almost impossible for the defense to defend.

Wishbone was gimmick as well.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

I'm OK with the RPO if it's a small part of the offense. If it's the predominant play, or if the system runs the QB a lot, then you need to be ready with two quarterbacks, and play them both. Further, I have yet to see a QB, at any level, who is both a great runner and a great passer over the long term. Doing one well inevitably comes at the expense of the other. In that sense, I can view the RPO somewhat as a "gimmick." You're not really gaining a man by reading and not blocking the defensive end. That gain gets lost by the expense to your quarterback. There is a reason pro teams don't run it.

In the Moorhead system both run and pass get initiated from the same point on the field. It doesn't seem to vary. Runs tend to be between the tackles, and passes are from the pocket. That makes it easy for the defensive front seven. Limited preparation is needed for the defense. Assignments become straightforward.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
How about two back to back in back to back seasons in almost exactly the same fashion?

Well, 3 of 6 games this season when you consider Appy's State 4 TD fourth quarter.

I'd toss in the Fiesta Bowl last season - Washington should not have been in a position to tie it on their last drive. They should have been put away long before that.

Wishbone was gimmick as well.

That was a predictable response. :D

Perhaps not the best example by @PSU2UNC, but his point is a good one -- the RPO is far more than a gimmick offensive philosophy, and can be very effective when properly executed.

Well, 3 of 6 games this season when you consider Appy's State 4 TD fourth quarter.

I'd toss in the Fiesta Bowl last season - Washington should not have been in a position to tie it on their last drive. They should have been put away long before that.

Yup. I just think pointing out issues in games penn state won would cause some people’s heads to explode since they can’t even handle it after bad losses.

If the Washington wide receiver had been more aware of the clock they would have had one shot at the end zone on the final play instead of the failed lateral.

AND we were T H I S V E R Y C L O S E to also having lost to Iowa last year, also giving up a late 4th quarter lead in a game that we totally dominated.

I think it all points to the tradeoff with a quick strike offense. A lead can be easily lost late in the game as the defense becomes fatigued. That fatigue sets in just as the other team realizes that it must pass more to catch up, making the fatigue spiral. On the other side of the ball, we go into lead-protect mode by trying to run in an offense that doesn't have much run-play variation. It's easily stopped when the defense knows you want to run it, even if you have the best running backs in school history.

Welcome to Big12 Football.

Reactions: Sooner Lion
I'm OK with the RPO if it's a small part of the offense. If it's the predominant play, or if the system runs the QB a lot, then you need to be ready with two quarterbacks, and play them both. Further, I have yet to see a QB, at any level, who is both a great runner and a great passer over the long term. Doing one well inevitably comes at the expense of the other. In that sense, I can view the RPO somewhat as a "gimmick." You're not really gaining a man by reading and not blocking the defensive end. That gain gets lost by the expense to your quarterback. There is a reason pro teams don't run it.

In the Moorhead system both run and pass get initiated from the same point on the field. It doesn't seem to vary. Runs tend to be between the tackles, and passes are from the pocket. That makes it easy for the defensive front seven. Limited preparation is needed for the defense. Assignments become straightforward.
you dont watch very much pro football do you?

We have a team that routinely gets the bad bounce. When their coach calls a fake punt in their own zone in the first half, and it works without even surprising us, that says a lot about basic fundamental preparedness --- especially after the fake kicks and tricks that have been used against our STs this year. BOB and JF both wanted to use their own guys at coordinator positions and both have been burned. In JF's case, RR may be a double-burn. Crazy decisions: Using Stevens against Ohio State when he has been on the shelf since early last winter; the play call to end the Ohio State game; not recruiting basic 3 * LB and DT positions to develop while recruiting athletes that don't seem to have football instincts (same as the Steelers IMHO); not developing a go-to WR or a go-to TE when you have a potential Heisman QB; refusing to use motion, a FB during short yardage, or a screen play when the D is pinning its ears back to rush the QB. I guess I don't understand.

Not sure how they'd have needed to adjust the D's formation to do that without creating a big hole, but during the last few minutes of the game I remember asking myself "who's covering the guy with the long hair?" and "doesn't the world know he's stalling and he's fine?"

Reactions: Sooner Lion
you dont watch very much pro football do you?

OK, I'll bite, since I don't follow the NFL closely anymore. (Can't stand the prima donna lack of discipline, the tattoos, the look-at-me shows, and the long hair.)

Who are these QB's that are at the pinnacle of both running and passing ability? When I mean "run" I don't mean "scramble" to avoid contact, or a situational play on occasion. Have these QBs been doing it for a long time to demonstrate this as a viable approach to using a franchise QB?

The great passers in my mind have been guys like Favre, Marino, Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees, and so on. Some of these guys could run, but they were not used as runners. These are not guys putting their head down as ball carriers against NFL defenses, at least not to any great extent. If there are QBs out there now that really are being used as runners in a QB run option offense, then it must be a new thing, or they are doing it to the detriment of passing. Despite rules changing to favor passing, these guys are not on any all-time leading passer lists. And I wouldn't expect them to get there either, before they get banged up.

When your head and shoulders are taking a pounding something is being given up in your ability to throw. The run isn't free to someone who must think, keep their wits, read defenses, and throw accurately. If you run a lot as a QB, I'd say that a true passing pinnacle has not actually been achieved. You may be helping the team with that run, or so it would seem, but it doesn't come for free. It comes at the cost of something else that you may not be able to definitively quantify.

Robert Griffin III is a classic case of what can happen when you run your quarterback, to illustrate an extreme of what I'm saying here.

Maybe rules are changing to the point that you can't tackle the QB anymore. Then it would make sense.

After sleeping on it, I have realized we have some gimmick fans. Perhaps this 85k beaver stadium would be perfect and eliminate the clueless fans

9. I am pissed.

Franklin can be a great college football coach so long as he continues to surround himself with assistants who are strong tacticians. His model needs to be that of a springboard for talented, young assistants seeking head coaching gigs elsewhere. He needs to embrace it. If he doesn't then I don't think he'll survive at PSU or any P5 program desiring to make it to the elite level. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

You could see him looking at the receiver as soon as he had the ball. Why not jam him on the line, double coverage something, anything at all. Seems everyone knew where the ball was going but the defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT