ADVERTISEMENT

"Those *uckers can play."

Marylovesthelions

Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
With a ragtag team of dedicated Lions, a journeyman QB, and a average TB, coach BOB took them to Wisconsin and ran the ball down the throat of a good defense. I doubt if he had any 5 star OL players. Of coach Franklin hires the right advice, he can fix our running game. After 8 years it is obvious that his staff does not have the ability to solve the problem.
Zwinak had great success with BOB's OL. The 2 and 3 star kids with Illinois pushed our defense around. With the right coaching, offense planning and leadership our OL can do the same.

Last edited:
With a ragtag team of dedicated Lions, a journeyman QB, and a average TB, coach BOB took them to Wisconsin and ran the ball down the throat of a good defense. I doubt if he had any 5 star OL players. Of coach Franklin hires the right advice, he can fix our running game. After 8 years it is obvious that his staff does not have the ability to solve the problem.
Zwinak had great success with BOB's OL. The 2 and 3 star kids with Illinois pushed our defense around. With the right coaching, offense planning and leadership our OL can do the same.
The game where Bob called our team "Fighters" was in State College and not Wisconsin.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
So we have to start recruiting truckers?

truck-mercedes.gif

The idea that Bill O had a “ragtag team” of nobodies is, in a word, ridiculous. That team, even with the couple of defections, was exceptionally talented and experienced. They were great kids and great players who saved our program. But they were far from unskilled 2 stars. Go back and look at the roster for 2012 season. People will be shocked at the talent level.

this is not intended to take anything away from O’Brien. He was the perfect person for the job at the time and kept a key group of recruits on board. But by no means did his teams “overachieve.” The 2012 team was loaded, even with the guys we lost.

Reactions: jjw165
You are correct and bravo. The line made a little room for Zwinak and he pulverized the tacklers. Shows you the BOB was a really good coach. That is why he is OC at Alabama. I wish he had never left.

Coach Bob’s team lost to the Ohio Mildcats too—I was there. Were you complaining in 2016 when Franklin coached the team to the Big Ten Championship? Certainly, the past 2 years have been down years but I for one am looking to see what happens next year with the offense having the same offensive coordinator for the first time in like 5 years. FWIW, this year’s team lost 5 games by a total of something like 19 points. Penn State was boat racing Iowa until Clifford got hurt. The Illinois debacle is on Franklin (although that game was still winnable if Warren who played some QB in high school lobs the pass to Clifford instead of throwing on a line) we’re winnable if there weren’t critical FG (and a PAT) misses, a 47 yard game losing pass to a TE thrown 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage with 4 minutes left in the game, a game losing TD late against MSU on 3rd and 15. As I said here before, Paterno always said most close games are determined by which team makes 4 or 5 critical plays. Despite a lousy offensive line and running backs who looked like they were running in mud, all of the regular season games with the exception of OSU were winnable. However, PSU didn’t make those plays and the other teams did.

Reactions: ejb25 and psugo
The idea that Bill O had a “ragtag team” of nobodies is, in a word, ridiculous. That team, even with the couple of defections, was exceptionally talented and experienced. They were great kids and great players who saved our program. But they were far from unskilled 2 stars. Go back and look at the roster for 2012 season. People will be shocked at the talent level.

this is not intended to take anything away from O’Brien. He was the perfect person for the job at the time and kept a key group of recruits on board. But by no means did his teams “overachieve.” The 2012 team was loaded, even with the guys we lost.
Correct. And Mauti and Zordich were responsible for keeping the 2012 team together, not BOB. He wanted to impose a deadline for players to declare if they were in or out and the two Mike’s wisely talked him out of it.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
You are correct and bravo. The line made a little room for Zwinak and he pulverized the tacklers. Shows you the BOB was a really good coach. That is why he is OC at Alabama. I wish he had never left.
BOB intended to use PSU as his ticket to a head coaching gig in the NFL from the moment he stepped foot on campus. I don’t begrudge him that, but the fact is he bailed on the program right before the 2014 season. Everyone knew that years 3 and 4 of the sanctions’ years would be the toughest since most of Paterno’s leftover players left and the full impact of the scholarship limitations would kick in. No one will ever know how he would have fared in 2014 and 2015, but the fact is he chose to leave. I don’t miss BOB one bit.

Correct. And Mauti and Zordich were responsible for keeping the 2012 team together, not BOB. He wanted to impose a deadline for players to declare if they were in or out and the two Mike’s wisely talked him out of it.
True, but that team had no where near the recruiting star power of Franklin's teams. They were 100% tougher and meaner in the clutch.
Good OLs enforce year will when you need to run.
Coach Bob’s team lost to the Ohio Mildcats too—I was there. Were you complaining in 2016 when Franklin coached the team to the Big Ten Championship? Certainly, the past 2 years have been down years but I for one am looking to see what happens next year with the offense having the same offensive coordinator for the first time in like 5 years. FWIW, this year’s team lost 5 games by a total of something like 19 points. Penn State was boat racing Iowa until Clifford got hurt. The Illinois debacle is on Franklin (although that game was still winnable if Warren who played some QB in high school lobs the pass to Clifford instead of throwing on a line) we’re winnable if there weren’t critical FG (and a PAT) misses, a 47 yard game losing pass to a TE thrown 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage with 4 minutes left in the game, a game losing TD late against MSU on 3rd and 15. As I said here before, Paterno always said most close games are determined by which team makes 4 or 5 critical plays. Despite a lousy offensive line and running backs who looked like they were running in mud, all of the regular season games with the exception of OSU were winnable. However, PSU didn’t make those plays and the other teams did.
WTF does what you said have to do with 8 years of lose from ahead losses because you can not run the ball in the 4th quarter? Even with the best TB in the NCAA. I like Franklin. He is the right coach for PSU. If he is smart, he will look outside his staff to solve the problem.

ive done this before and the team wasnt very good
not sure what youre talking about

It wasn't a bunch of scrubs. DaQuan Jones, Jesse James, Adrian Amos, ARob, Donovan Smith, Nassib and Austin Johnson are all still in the league almost a decade later. 13 guys were drafted from that roster + McGloin lasted 4 years as an udfa. The 2016 team had 16 guys drafted.

Reactions: jjw165
The game where Bob called our team "Fighters" was in State College and not Wisconsin.

Yep. In Wiscy, in their coach admitted BOB totally out coached him. Something we will hear uttered with CJF on the sidelines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT